Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

2.0

Not the best experience show details Not the best experience
Feb 15th, 2016

Dr. Chawla was the physician I had the day of my miscarriage. The same day they saw that there was no heartbeat on the ultrasound (the pregnancy did not progress beyond 6 weeks), they saw that I had fibroids. I did not know I had fibroids before that day, nor was I aware I had miscarried (it was a missed miscarriage). Needless to say, finding out you have a medical condition you were clueless about and that could possibly affect your fertility in addition to finding out your child is dead is not a good day. While Dr. Chawla was kind, she proceeded to tell me about a major surgery for fibroids called myomectomy. Yes, it is major even though she did not say that. Everything was such a haze at that point with the news I was given. I only heard bits and pieces of what she said about it. I later went back to the notes on the patient portal for clarity. I saw that she wrote that she had discussed “the benefits of myomectomy prior to conceiving to reduce complications.” It also said something about referring me to Dr. Park, who I later learned is a fertility specialist. I don’t recall her mentioning Dr. Park, but as I said, everything was a haze. She marketed the surgery as the ultimate answer for the fibroids. She did not explain that fibroids that are in the cavity can possibly be removed by hysteroscopy, which is a less invasive surgical procedure. She did not explain that there are different kinds of fibroids or that the location of the fibroids is a factor in whether surgery would be beneficial. She also said that any option I chose to manage the miscarriage was safe. I had asked because I just didn’t know what was best and nothing is a great option when you have lost your baby. When I came back a few days later, my appointment was with Dr. Jacokes. She suggested cytotec vs. a D&C because they couldn’t tell for certain from their ultrasound whether the fibroids were going into the cavity. She drew a picture and explained things, and it made sense to me. I later wondered why Dr. Chawla did not suggest the cytotec over D&C knowing that I had the fibroids and when I had specifically asked her what is the best option. It does not seem right that a doctor would discuss the benefits about a surgery without discussing the risks. It also doesn’t seem right that Dr. Chawla would tell me about the surgery if they are planning to refer me to a specialist who would want to do more imaging studies and make the decision about what to do from there. I left thinking I was 100% headed for surgery. My husband got the same impression, and after reading about it further, I was scared of the surgery and was scared of conceiving again without having the surgery. I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place. She did not tell me that women can and do have successful pregnancies with fibroids. She made it sound like nothing was going to turn out well for me in the pregnancy world unless I had the fibroids removed via myomectomy. I ended up deciding to go to Duke where they ended up telling me that because the fibroids were not in the cavity, they felt the risks of myomectomy outweighed the benefits. Plus since I obviously didn’t know they were there, they were not causing any major symptoms. The Duke doctors were nothing but positive and encouraged me not to worry about the fibroids. Dr. Chawla caused unnecessary stress and worry for me during an already difficult time in my life. I lost my faith in this establishment after being an OB patient, although I had seen Dr. Jacokes as my gynecologist for over 10 years. I did like Dr. Moody, but as everyone knows, you are rotated through all the doctors when you are an OB patient. This place has just gotten too big for their britches with long wait times, and I feel the level of care has decreased over the last few years. Dr. Jacokes was very rushed at my first OB visit when I had some questions. Plus I will always wonder why she did not catch that I had fibroids when she did my pelvic exams all those years. I let them finish everything with my miscarriage, but I will not be going back to this office.