Dr. Cynthia Kooima, MD
Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Mediocre show details Mediocre
Dec 21st, 2014

I was not impressed by Dr. Kooima or her medical assistant and their lack of compassion. After my surgery I experienced a great deal of pain, I called her medical assistant in tears to report my pain and was told "it's normal", when I spoke to Dr Kooima about the pain I explained my pain was just as bad as before the surgery, she too told me it was normal. TEN WEEKS after my surgery I was still having excruciating pain and she FINALLY said maybe I needed an anti-inflammatory (only after saying she didn't think my pain was normal but maybe it was the way my body handled pain), the anti-inflammatory made a huge difference and I ask myself why did it take her ten weeks to 1. Listen to me and 2. To realize I might have inflammation after surgery. I would not go back to this doctor again if I ever needed orthopedic surgery in the future!

Only surgery was on this doctor's mind show details Only surgery was on this doctor's mind
by Carolyn P. on Dec 9th, 2014

I saw Dr. Kooima last March for extreme pain in my left shoulder. She sent me for an MRI and after reviewing the results she informed me that I needed a shoulder replacement. I was a bit shocked at that news. I asked her if perhaps physical therapy might help and she said no, it would not - I needed a replacement. She urged me to schedule the surgery for as soon as possible. Being a winter resident I went back home to get a second opinion. I saw a physician who specialized in shoulder surgery. He examined me and reviewed my MRI and said that I definitely DID NOT need a shoulder replacement at that time. Perhaps way down the road, but not now. He sent me for six weeks of physical therapy last July. I was set up on a home program after completing therapy and I am now pain free and doing well. Maybe Dr. Kooima needed a new car or something!

Jun 11th, 2014

I hope you never need Dr Kooima, but if you do , she is a compassionate, knowledgeable doctor.

Hello Cynthia L Kooima ,MD show details Hello Cynthia L Kooima ,MD
by Mieke Kooima ...Holland on Jun 9th, 2013

Do you know,we are family (far family ) Dutch ?? there are you`r roots Many of the Kooima family lives in the USA already hundred and more years there. My brother Peter Kooima is looking al the Kooima who lives in the USA . We are surprised how many Peter Kooima`s are living there very interesting. The Kooima`s are from Groningen the most and Friesland. I found your name by coincident. from one to another Kooima I send you much greetings from HOLLAND !!!!!

She's right, even if she's wrong. show details She's right, even if she's wrong.
Mar 19th, 2012

If you have a medical background and want to assist Dr. Kooima in your care, she'll become unfriendly and apathetic to you as a patient. Her diagnosis shall not be questioned. Of course there's 2nd opinin options, but, how manyu doctors would you like to visit to find out that she's wrong???