Dr. Mary Mcelheney MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Florence, KY

3.6

April 18th, 2014
PDL Investments
Seemed like a nice person when younger. Heard she became a not so nice person later. Bright doesn't always mean competent and caring. Met her later in life and didn not recognize the same person I knew when younger.

March 19th, 2013
Couldnt Recommend any higher. A great female psychiatrist.

March 19th, 2013
Couldnt Recommend any higher. A great female psychiatrist.

September 1st, 2012
Noidea Nohow this woman still has her license to practice.
I called in to make an appointment, explained what my diagnosed issues were. I had to explain "bi-polar" to her. Told her that I didn't have insurance, but it would be paid in cash. I was quoted $80 for a cash walk in. I am one that needs medication, I made sure that she could and would write prescriptions. She said yes, and so I made an appointment. Appointment day comes, and I show up, only to be greeted by someone else that tells me that instead of honoring my appointment, she'd elected to make alternate plans. Whoops. She'd supposedly tried to call, but a check of my call history shows 0 calls from numbers I don't know. Way to lie, doc. The gentleman that met me asked if he could make an appointment for the next day, which I agreed to. Next day, I show up, walk into the waiting room and sit down. She asks what insurance I have. I tell her none, just like I'd previously told her. She then said that the price for an uninsured walk in was $160. Double what it had been when I called. I mentioned that there was a price change from what I'd been quoted over the phone, and her answer was "I'm a VERY good psychiatrist, and worth it." She then tells me that I'm not a good fit for her practice. I've heard of bad doctors that dismiss patients with no insurance, but I've never had the displeasure of dealing with one. I'd also like to know how I can be a "bad fit" when the only question asked was if I had insurance. She then proceeds to tell me that she'll be more than happy to take my money if I'd like to go ahead and keep the appointment. BUT...even if she evaluated me and determined that I was in need of medication, she WOULD NOT BE WRITING A PRESCRIPTION OUT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. You bet I reported this one to the state medical board. I hope she is stripped of her license to practice medicine. And she's earned the distinction of "Worst Doctor I've Ever Had the Misfortune of Dealing With." Her behavior is an embarrassment to the entire medical community, and an affront to those good doctors out there

Recommend Highly!
Has helped me tremendously!

Recommend Highly!
Has helped me tremendously!

August 7th, 2012
Wish more Doctors were like her!
I have seen Dr. McElheney four times. She was the first psychaiatrist to diagnose and treat my condition correctly. She is a compassionate physician who takes time with her patients. I recommend her highly if your getting fed up with the North Keys of the world that couldn't correctly diagnose and treat a common cold.

November 11th, 2011
I do not understand these rating focusing on payment. Yes, this Dr. requires payment prior to service. She is also a down to earth, no nonsense, focused therapist with considerable experience who listens carefully and is responsive to what you say.I have benefited greatly from her help and recommend her highly.

November 11th, 2011

June 18th, 2011
Can you say QUACK DR??
Oh my Lord people, please DO NOT see this woman, I dont even know how she has her MD license because this woman is not a good DR. She is very biased, opiniated, judgemental, and downright WEIRD! If you have issues with depression and be there for her to help you she will just downgrade you and make you feel like you're a complete idiot! There would be times she would just sit there and stare at me with a disgusted look on her face just eyeballing me and wouldnt stop staring me up and down! Very awkward! And she wants you to see her EVERY week, because she just wants your $$ and wants to milk your insurance! I never see any other patients there and when you walk in tot he office, it's dark and empty and she will have this creepy funeral music playing in the background! Think twice before seeing this weirdo please!

May 19th, 2011
If you have issues with depression, do not go to her. I saw her 3 times, spent $450.00 and was worse than when I started seeing her. I never saw any other patients, the receptionist was "not in that day" and she repeated the questions that she asked me (as if she had lost my file). I ended up elsewhere.

August 18th, 2009
She is only concerned about the $$$$
I saught help after I have been experiencing an overwhelming amount of ADHD symptoms. I went to Dr McElheney because I wanted a doctor who would charge me on a "sliding scale" due to my low income as a student. The FIRST thing she asked me was if I had paid yet, and then asked me to pay $175, not the $100 I was quoted. I corrected her and she just went with it. I guess there is no structure to the billing whatsoever...Anyways she "diagnosed" me with a questionarre and wrote me a script and I was on my way in minutes... Well at a week-later follow-up appointment I expressed how the medication was not working well for me, as I was experiencing major depression (after she asked if I had paid yet of course). She instantly expressed how she was unable to help me anymore, giving me a suggestion to visit the ER. Never offered a refund for the money paid for the follow-up visit. I really do not think she knows what she is doing. She did not take the time to evaluate me correctly, and had no remorse with casting me out. HORRIBLE PERSON