Dr. Daniel Brener MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.9

April 11th, 2016
Excellent professional
Dr Brener is a very smart physician. He is incredibly insightful and able to help me discuss very painful events and feelings with compassion and acceptance. His boundaries are evident, and I know that everything I tell him is absolutely private. This has been critical to my healing.

April 1st, 2016
Awesome therapist

September 16th, 2015
He is excellent.. Very smart and preceptive. Can help one get to the root of understanding of the psychiatric problem.. Keeps his boundaries.

July 22nd, 2015
thoughtful and intuitive
Intuitive and superbly educated, Dr Brener is an excellent diagnostician and terrific therapist. By helping me find the courage to face painful events and feelings, and supporting me through the process - he has literally saved my life. My depression has lifted, and my prior strong drives toward suicide and self destruction are now a thing of my past. He is warm, thoughtful and invariably kind. Highly recommend this doctor if you are willing to face your own demons and stop projecting those demons onto those around you.

July 14th, 2014
Boundaries matter
As a former patient of this psychiatrist who prides himself on his affiliation with Houston psychoanalysts, it is my opinion, Dr. Brener, affectionately called "Danny" by some of his patients, cautiously walked on the thin line of what is considered to be acceptable boundaries in the field of psychotherapy, and certainly in the field of psychoanalysis. It's a dangerous walk, and in my opinion,it is in the public's interests to seek referrals from well-established and respected psychiatrists before one takes the step of trusting another in such a sacred endeavor. I thought i had, but tragically there are those of us who will discover, quite painfully that she, and possibly he were not in trustworthy hands. I share this as i hope no other will be lead to endure the horrible confusion and pain that followed the abrupt and traumatic cessation of five years of what was referred to as being "psychoanalysis." Ironically, it was nothing close to psychotherapy, or compassionate care. All that has been stated is my opinion and my experience. Be wise, and before starting therapy please "google" articles on boundary violations in psychotherapy. Best of luck.

July 30th, 2013
excellent psychiatrist
Dr Brener is an excellent physician, and a wonderful psychiatrist. Although psychiatry is expensive, it was worth every penny to return to good mental health. I was very anxious and depressed; he used both talking therapy and medications - and I am now able to function well in my job and at home. I cannot thank him enough.

July 21st, 2012
A caring professional
I was referred to Dr Brener because I was having trouble at home and at work. He helped me take a realistic (but kind) look at myself, and understand why I was behaving the way I was. By understanding WHY, I found it easier to change. I got better, then things got better. I was impressed with Dr Brener's consistency - he was so calm and pleasant EVERY time I went in. He was a good listener, and never made me feel judged or bad for my behavior. He helped me become a better person.

February 25th, 2012
Skeptical
I met with Dr.Brener for awhile for counseling with my former fianc. She was / is his patient. I was in my own individual therapy as well with another therapist at that time. I was not comfortable with the situation. He was her primary therapist but also wanted to counsel us together. It was awkward and a waste of our efforts during a critical time in our relationship. It was like a "free for all" .. No apparent goals .. The whole thing was a disaster . I truly believe that she and I could have worked things out with a more skilled therapist. I've heard that she is still seeing him and with considerable frequency. I hope , for her sake, that she can get some practical advice so that she can move on towards a productive and engaged life. Instead I'm afraid she has become an annuity.

February 6th, 2012
caring and really smart
I saw Dr Brener for 5 years for anxiety and depression. I had a bad experience with a psych doc before, so it took a while to trust him. From the start he treated me with respect, and his manner was warm with perfect boundaries. He is a superb listener, and as I slowly came to trust he I was amazed at what he could remember. He did prescribe medications after he got to know me. I had been on antidepressants before without good results, and he was willing to listen to that and work carefully as I was afraid of the same experience. It took a few months before he got me on the right combination of medications, but meds have helped me so much.

November 30th, 2011
Dr Brener was my psychiatrist for a few years. I chose to end treatment because he carelessly mismanaged my medication which caused unnecessary agony for both me and my family. I had to go out of town to a specialist to help me get my medicine straight. The psychiatrist i consulted with was outraged. He questioned every drug I had been prescribed. It was a terrifying period. My condition was unbearable. He saw members of my family in addition to seeing me individually. Since learning from another therapist that this was not in my best interest I am angry and feel duped. I am still mad about this after having quit him 3 1/2 years ago. Not one member of my family members has continued therapy with him since my horrible experience. I don't recommend him.

November 28th, 2011
Caring Professional
Dr Brener is an excellent physician. He got me through some really tough times. He is 100% reliable and very smart. He is trustworthy and caring in how he treats people. Highly recommended.

September 16th, 2011
Superb Physician
Dr Brener is a very compassionate and caring physician. I saw Dr Brener after several years of struggling with depression and anxiety; I had seen a therapist before with marginal results. From the first moment Dr Brener greeted me, he was the consummate professional. One of the most amazing things about him is his consistency he is always on time, always calm and always listens intently and respectfully. And Dr Brener has a warm sense of humor; I may have cried but we also laughed.Dr Brener was always careful not to push or pull my thoughts in any direction. He believed in me when I didnt believe in myself. His belief in me and encouragement helped me realize that I could change old patterns and relationships that were causing me painI highly recommend Dr Dan Brener