Family Physicians
Family Clinic Of Oak Ridge
100 Vermont Ave
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
865-482-1777
Locations and availability (1)

2.0

|  show details
Dec 21st, 2011

Dr. LeNoir is excellent however, circumstances beyond his control is the office staff. I can never get through to make an appointment--no computer at home. Long wait on phone, curt and abruptness of those answering the phone. They will cut you off or put you on hold for 20 minutes or more. Office staff unacceptable in helping the patient.

|  Dangerous Doctor!  |  show details
by Renee from Oak Ridge on May 7th, 2011

Nathan, aged 15 months was seen by Dr. LeNoir on 5/5/11. Dr. Lenoir diagnosed acute otitis media and prescribed Azithromycin. (Prior to this Nathan had had only 2 other ear infections and none within the previous 5 months.)The Azithromycin suspension was given to me at Walgreens of Oak Ridge. Strength was 200mg/5ml and dosage instructions were to give 12.5 ml on the first day and 6.25 ml on days 2-5. After administering the first dose, which was equal to 500mg of medicine, I began to question the amount and decided to look it up. EVERY source I could find gave the following guidelines for pediatric dosing, for a five day course.Day 1 10 mg/kg Day 2-5 5 mg/kgNathan weighs 8.5 kg. The dosage Dr. Lenoir prescribed was equal to 60mg/kg on the first day and 30mg/kg on days 2-5. I called Walgreens and they confirmed the dosing error. They instructed me to call poison control, which I did. I was told that while it was definitely an overdose, the medicine is not highly toxic and just to observe Nathan for severe diarrhea or any gastric upset. If this occurred to make sure he was well hydrated and seek help if it became severe. The following morning I called the clinic to inform them of the error. The staff member "Noelle" went to check it with the Dr. and came back and told me that it was a correct dosage and I should keep giving it to Nathan. I questioned her to see if the Dr. actually recalculated the dosage to see how much he had prescribed and she said yes he did. I told her that several reliable internet sources, the Walgreens pharmacy, and poison control all disagreed with the Dr. and asked her to talk to him again. I was then told she did not have "any medical background" and was passed off to the head nurse (name unknown). The head nurse continued to assert that it was a correct prescription despite my insisting that it was not. Finally she agreed to write a note and have the Dr. call me. Meanwhile the Walgreens pharmacy manager, Maya, also called to inform the clinic of the error and asked to have Dr. LeNoir please call them to give instructions on proper dosing. Later I received a call from Dr. LeNoir and it was clear to me that he still had not bothered to check the dosage that he prescribed my son. His first words were "You know we are giving a lot higher dosages of that medicine now due to some resistance in the community". I asked him if he meant to prescribe a dosage SIX TIMES higher than the recommended dosage. He did not answer. He asked me how much did Nathan weigh and what did he get?? (This is clearly proof that he did not bother to recheck his work!) I told him that Nathan got 500mg which is an adult dose! He just said, well you need to keep giving him the medicine, don't stop, it is not toxic so it wont hurt him. I said, but he has already received a dose TWICE as strong as the recommended dose for one time dosing and six times as strong as the five day dosing. He said to me "Well keep giving him SOMETHING, give him a teaspoon then". (equivalent to 2.5 times the recommended dose!) I asked him if he had literature to support his decision to give my 15 month old son six times the recommended dosage because I would need to see it before I felt comfortable giving him that much medicine. Dr. LeNoirs reply: "No I don't, that is why it is called a 'practice'." I immediately changed doctors and was seen the same day by pediatrician Dr. Jason Cheney at the Children's Clinic. I was told that Nathan should have received 80mg of Azithromycin NOT 500mg and NOT to give Nathan any more but to discard it. Dr. Cheney prescribed amoxicillan. The Walgreens pharmacy apologized profusely for not catching the error and filled my prescription at no charge to me. Dr. LeNoir never returned the pharmacy managers call.My complaint is not that Dr. LeNoir made a dosing error, but that after being questioned about it did not bother to recalculate the dosage and see how HUGE of an error it was. Instead he tried to cover his mistake by saying he was intentionally giving more than the recommended dosage because of resistance in the community. He then tried to convince me to CONTINUE with the course of medicine he prescribed. Thankfully, Nathan did only suffer gastric upset and diarrhea, but he might have been further harmed if I had followed Dr. LeNoirs advice to continue giving the OVERDOSE of medicine to my son.

|  show details
Feb 8th, 2011

Very unhappy with his bedside manners, his knowledge of medication interactions and paying attention to pat charts to be aware of allergies. Numerous times he has repeatedly prescribed the wrong medications to my mom. SERIOUS problem..