Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon

10 year back and leg pain show details 10 year back and leg pain
by David S on Sep 15th, 2016

I suffered back and right leg ache / pain for nearly ten years. Went to Dr. Refai who said he could perform a TLIF with cortical screws and repair my spondylolisthesis and stenosis at L4- L5. I had the surgery, was up and walking the next day. I had no pain except some soreness from the incision and the ache / pain was gone. I still have some foot numbness which is normal. Hopefully that will disappear as well with time. I was walking up to 3-4 miles a day within a month. I was back to work in 6 weeks. At this point I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Dr. Refai and staff (Shawnee) are awesome. I don't know why I waited so long. I would recommend Dr. Refai without question!

DR. REFAI REALLY IS THE BEST show details DR. REFAI REALLY IS THE BEST
by Mary M. on Sep 13th, 2016

Could hardly walk, not even with walker. MRI showed spinal meningioma (tumor) that was about to make me paralyzed from waist down. Never had major surgery before. Dr. Refai took time to answer ALL my questions and to explain in detail what would happen during surgery and what possible outcomes I could expect after surgery. Although I was scared, I knew I had found the right surgeon for my situation even though there were doubts about me ever walking unassisted again. Surgery went as Dr. Refai had described with amazingly minimal amount of pain afterwards. Follow-up showed tumor was benign and Dr. Refai continues to monitor my progress since tumor could possibly grow back. Today, after physical therapy that Dr. Refai prescribed, I can walk without walker or cane. Dr. Refai and his nurse, Shawnee, have been very supportive throughout this experience and for that I am truly grateful. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai to anyone needing spinal surgery.

Surgery show details Surgery
by Lisa Poss on Sep 8th, 2016

This man is not only a very nice man he is a wonderful surgeon. He assured me that everything was going to be ok and he would help. Thanks to him I no longer have back or leg pain. Highly recommend him.

by Sheila on Aug 10th, 2016

Dr Refai is a fantastic doctor and I would trust him with my life

Great surgeon with great bedside manner. show details Great surgeon with great bedside manner.
Jun 29th, 2016

From the start of my diagnosis, Dr. Refai was genuinely concerned and knew what he was talking about. He gave me my options and took the time to explain every pro and con to each option. Before the procedure, immediately after, and during the 6 week followup, he was informative and made me feel as if I were his only patient. He is professional and well versed in his field. I would recommend him to anyone with the issues I had. (sciatica, disc herniation, disc degenerative disease)

by Cris Childers on Jun 28th, 2016

Would recommend Dr. ReFai to anyone in back pain. I am pain free in my back, upper n lower left leg and foot.

Jun 8th, 2016

I had Dr. Refai Correct my spondyololisthesis & stenosis a year ago. I couldn't be more pleased. I had suffered for years and was mostly sitting in a recliner before my surgery. Now, I am going to exercise classes and walking 2 miles. I am 73. I only wish I had done it sooner. I only took 3 pain pills after surgery. It wasn't nearlly as bad as I expected. Don't wait!!!

by Renee S on Apr 25th, 2016

He is a great surgeon He urged me not to wait to have surgery and he was absolutely correct. He is the finest Doctor I've ever seen. His staff is superb and his office runs on time. I've recommended him to anyone who will listen.

Pain Free show details Pain Free
by Lawrence Abrams on Mar 1st, 2016

Very easy to talk to, explained everything clearly and did an outstanding job on the surgery.

Dr Refai show details Dr Refai
by Jenny on Feb 29th, 2016

Very highly recommended. As a nurse myself I am a little more critical in my expectations of the medical providers and I can say without hesitation Dr Refai is the best. Kudos to his office nurse aka right hand woman Shawnee. She has the patience of a saint and went above and beyond and one never felt it was too much trouble. Awesome!

by Roger Shook on Feb 12th, 2016

After over a year of severe back pain, Dr. Refai was the surgeon who found the fracture in my back. Dr Refai did my surgery 10 weeks ago. I am pain free. I can walk without a walker or cane & I'm free of pain pills. My life is normal again. I'm forever thankful to Dr Refai.

Laminectomy show details Laminectomy
by Richard M. on Feb 11th, 2016

Dr. Refai performed a laminectomy on my L2-L5 and the experience was great. The surgery and the recovery has gone far better than my greatest hopes. Dr. Refai is a very straight talking person, to the point and complete in his explanation of the procedure. He expressed concern for my concerns and was very encouraging about the results I could expect. I honestly had very little pain from the surgery and what I did have was not severe. I took a minimal amount of pain medications and stopped it altogether after 6 days. My symptoms came on fairly quickly over a period of 9 - 12 months. Prior to my surgery I was down to walking about 10 minutes until I had to stop. 2 weeks after surgery I was walking 1 hour straight with no problem. 4 weeks after surgery I walked 18 holes of golf with my friends (did not play, just walked) with no problems. I have tried to follow all the post-op instructions faithfully and after 7 weeks I have been released to go back to all my normal activities. I know this is a little unusual but I can't tell you how happy I am. DR, Refai and the entire team at Emory were excellent to work with. Dr. Refai's nurse Shawnee was great at getting back to me with answers to all my questions. I am extremely pleased with my results and with the skill and care of Dr. Refai and his team. I highly recommend DR. Refai.

by B. J. C. on Oct 14th, 2015

I received excellent care. When I had other problems arise Dr. Refai and the Emory staff were very thorough in finding causes . My surgery went extremely well due to the fact that they treated me by looking at all of my problems and selecting the best for me. I am pain free and so grateful.

Feedback on our results show details Feedback on our results
by Pat and John in Alpharetta Ga on Aug 28th, 2015

Dr. Refai operated on my 81 year old mother who was in extreme pain with Stenosis and bulging disks and the result was just terrific. She no longer has any pain and was off pain medicine within a week which is very unusual and wonderful. My mom and I highly recommend Dr. Refai. He was very professional and provided great results!

Caring Physician show details Caring Physician
by Kathryn Clark on Aug 5th, 2015

At my first vist, i spoke one sentence, and he immediately knew I had vocal cord issues with my first surgery. He knew my entire health hx before he entered the room. He knew I was a pharmacist, so he spoke to me on my level.

by Timothy Kyle Snider on Jul 30th, 2015

Dr.Daniel Refai is the greatest Dr. I know.He has done nothing but helped me through 2 major back surgeries L3-S1. 1 on 10-06-12 and #2 on 07-01-15. He is very honest and upfront with you from the beginning. There is absolutely not enough room on this review to explain how wonderful he is.I absolutely owe my life to he and his entire staff. 5 plus stars are not enough.If you have spine issues please do not hesitate to contact him for an appointment. HE IS THE MAN.

by Jackie Wilson on Jun 30th, 2015

Dr. Refai saved my life. I was in unbearable pain prior to my surgery. I am now pain free. Thank you Dr. Refai and staff.

Jun 24th, 2015

I highly reccommend Dr. Refai for spinal surgery. My pain when walking and standing was excruciating from stenosis and spondylosis. After my fusion I am now pain free. I only needed pain pills for 3 days after surgery.

DR. REFAI HAS CHANGED MY LIFE - THANK YOU!! show details DR. REFAI HAS CHANGED MY LIFE - THANK YOU!!
by Tony Nix on Jun 2nd, 2015

Dr. Refai has totally changed my life. I have suffered with severe back pain for over 12 years. I had back surgery 4 weeks ago (L3, L4, L5 & S1) and am already pain free and walking 2 miles a day. I also have Parkinson's and have had 2 DBS surgeries at Emory (Dr. Boulis). These two doctors work very closely together and have given me such hope for a bright and pain free life. I can't thank you enough - I am truly blessed.

A Godsend!!! show details A Godsend!!!
Apr 25th, 2015

Dr. Daniel Refai was truly our answer to prayers! Our mother had been languishing in another Atlanta hospital for 2 full weeks, suffering from constant, electrifying pain caused by her back collapsing from metastatic ureteral cancer, resulting in the fractured bone jutting into her spinal cord. The orthopedic surgeon at the hospital said that it would be “heroic measures” to operate on our mother’s back due to her age (79), and that her pain would be addressed by radiation and her bones would heal over time. We knew that this simply was untrue, so finally our mother’s oncologist referred us to Dr. Daniel Refai at Emory Midtown. We transferred late Saturday afternoon in an ambulance. Dr. Refai had never seen our mother before, but he said that she was in such excruciating pain, he felt it would be unconscionable to NOT operate. He further said that if he did not operate, she would either die from the insanely heavy doses of medication that she was taking, and/or be paralyzed within days. He came in the next day, ON A SUNDAY MORNING, and performed her 4-hour surgery beginning at 8 AM!!! When our mother got out of recovery, she was pain-free and could not believe that the electrifying shocks were gone for good! She is now participating in a cancer drug trial, and is doing very well. We will be forever indebted to Dr. Refai for saving our mother. He is most definitely a doctor for all the right reasons, and also an incredibly nice and personable human being. Not surprisingly, all of his staff is similarly very patient-oriented and responsive. We would encourage anyone reading this review and in need of his services to see him! He will not disappoint. – 4 very grateful children and numerous grandchildren!!

Excellent surgery results show details Excellent surgery results
by Norman Weiss on Apr 19th, 2015

Dr Refai took my husband as a emergency patient based on results of MRI and request from Dr Gavin Brown,neurologist and colleague. My husband was very close to losing use of arms and legs due to severe cervical stenosis causing critical nerve damage. Dr Refa performed surgery and saved my husband from paralysis. He was very friendly and was sure to explain every aspect of situation to the family. He was very personable which was so comforting at such a difficult time. My husband is recovering well as the surgery was very successful. Dr Refai's expertise is unsurpassed. We would refer Dr Refai to anyone considering spinal surgery. Also his team of professionals is excellent and they work as a incredibly well oiled machine.

by sandra thompson-fry on Mar 13th, 2015

My favorite doctor ever. Dr. Refai lives the definition of a doctor, very caring and compassionate and listens intuitively to what I have to say. I would rate him more than 5 stars if they were available.

Retired Test Pilot and current Aviation Consultant. show details Retired Test Pilot and current Aviation Consultant.
by Lyle H. Schaefer on Jan 29th, 2015

Dr. Refai performed a complicated surgery on my lower spine. The surgery was a total success and I am free of pain, which was constant before my surgery. Dr. Refai gave me excellent advise on the best surgery for my condition; every back is different. His detailed explanation of my condition and how to remedy it was focused on me. I am very blessed to have had him as my surgeon.

As good as they get show details As good as they get
by Herrb Geller on Dec 20th, 2014

Dr Refai is about as good as it gets when it comes to Neurosurgeons. Excellent surgeon and great bedside manner. I would recommend him to anyone with spinal problems. He is surrounded by an excellent team of highly trained RN's PA's and administrative staff.

by Terry Brittingham on Dec 17th, 2014

Fantastic Dr. I am glad I was refered over to Dr. Refai.

by Judie Plumley on Dec 17th, 2014

I had osteomylitis due to MRSA. I received excellent care. Now I can walk again!

Excellent Surgeon show details Excellent Surgeon
by Julie W. on Dec 3rd, 2014

Dr. Refai has performed 2 major neck and neck/upper back surgeries for me. He did an excellent job throughout the entire process. Dr. Refai gave honest opinions and explained things in a manner that I could understand when he informed me of the need for the surgeries. He gave me the pros and cons, never making me feel pressured like a salesman other than to let me know how severe or moderate the conditions were. I knew of the first condition already so it was not a surprise but he was very comforting in making me feel that the decision was my choice. I was taken great care of throughout the hospital experience, surgery and all. The doctor was great at keeping my husband updated while I was still recovering in post-op. When he was unable to be at the hospital, he always left me in good hands as well as calling to check on me. I was an unusual case because of other health issues but Dr. Refai worked successfully with all of those issues to ensure a successful recovery. I always felt like he knew his procedures and use of technology exceptionally well so I was no longer nervous to have such a large surgery or concerned about issues with laser surgery and other techniques. He was able to keep my scars at a minimum which is also a plus. Though not important to many people but it was to me, Dr. Refai always knew when I changed my hairstyle or color at our appointments even though he saw me only twice a year. I have never had another doctor pay enough attention to notice who I am as a person. For me, it was worth the 45 minute drive across town for his services and specialty knowledge for my neck which had bothered me for over 17 years. Thank you Dr. Refai!

SUCCESS!!! show details SUCCESS!!!
by Windy Gamel on Nov 6th, 2014

Dr Refai was very informative about the surgical procedure, what to expect from the procedure and recovery time. I was very very very please with how willing he was to answer questions and explain the procedure to me ahead of time and give me alternative options to choose for my care while carefully explaining the pros and cons of each option. The staff was amazingly friendly especially his nurse Shawnee. She was a huge help in my recovery and provided me with multiple ways to contact her during my recovery. She encouraged me to contact her with any questions that I had with medications or the healing process in general along the way. She never lost patience with me as I had a lot of questions and called her daily it seemed in the beginning. Shawnee and Dr Refai both seemed to genuinely care about my recovery and made me feel comfortable with discussing every aspect of healing with them. I strongly recommend them if you consider having major surgery. It makes a huge difference in your recovery to feel like everyone is on the same team with the same game plan. We celebrated together as I hit my 6 week mark and I look forward to the celebration of my next visit!

Taking long walks and loving it! Trying out my newly repaired vintage model. show details Taking long walks and loving it! Trying out my newly repaired vintage model.
by Lucy Slusher on Oct 28th, 2014

Before Dr. Refai did my surgery I could not walk farther than 50 yds without a lot of pain. I could not stand for more than 15 mins. and the pain in my back, legs, and feet was getting worse every day. My options were give up and ride a wheel chair or just give up mobility. I had fallen 1yr before and broken my thigh and back. The leg was fixed promptly by another surgeon but the back went untreated and undianosed until I was able to see Dr. Refai. The surgery (in two parts) involved placing a device into my back and securing it with 7 screws. I am 8 months post surgery now and can walk any distance I choose, stand, work and sit. I experienced zero complications from surgery and healed rapidly. The device is supporting fusing and the desired bone growth my back needed. Not a bad 2 sessions work in surgery I'd say and job well done. Thanks

cervical myleopathic stenosis surgery show details cervical myleopathic stenosis surgery
by corinne c jordy on Oct 15th, 2014

Dr Refai and his staff were impressive. Professional yet kind and very thorough. I am 71 years old and overweight, and Dr. Refai was kind and honest in explaining the difficulties involved in the surgery and the complications which could result from fat. I recommend and would use him in a heartbeat for surgery. His team is excellent.

Professionalism and Correction of Medical Condition show details Professionalism and Correction of Medical Condition
by Willie James Conard on Sep 2nd, 2014

I am so happy that I was referred to Emory and the selection of doctor, Dr Daniel S. Refai. He has very positive people skills and correcting my L4 & L5 through posterolateral lumber fusion.The severe pains that I was experiencing in back, hips and legs prior to surgery left the day after surgery. Dr. Refai and staff are superb! I am now free of pain that I was having over 3 years. Definitely, I am going to recommend anyone that I know that have the same problem that I had.Job well done and I am most appreciative.

Numb No More show details Numb No More
by Rick Poff on Aug 19th, 2014

When I went to see Dr. Refai, I could not walk more than 100ft before my feet would go numb. I would have to bend over to relieve the nerves in my back, to stop the numbness in my feet. Dr. Refai right away diagnosed me with Spinal Stenosis. He gave me a couple of options but recommended a Laminectomy. I had the surgery which took a few hours. Come to find out my stenosis was worse than first thought. Dr. Refai managed to cut away the bone and clean the area up from the stenosis. Two days after the surgery I was able to get up and walk around with the help of a walker. I was extremely surprised that there was no tingling or numbness while walking. It's been six weeks and I'm walking one mile a day and back at work. I have been dealing with this stenosis for ten years and now I have my life back! There are no words to describe what Dr. Refai has done! God has truly blessed me by helping to find Dr. Refai Wanted to also mention Shawnee his assistant. She is top notch and helped us with the whole procedure. This definitely helped my wife and I, to put our mind at ease! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

BootCamp Fitness Trainer show details BootCamp Fitness Trainer
by Lori on Jul 30th, 2014

10 months ago I started experiencing extreme pain starting at my left upper hip into my glut and traveling down the side of my calf. After being mis-diagnosed with a pinch nerve from another physician because I did not have an MRI at the time, I waited it out. After 3 months when a pinch nerve should have healed, it had gotten worse. I am a BootCamp fitness trainer and exercise on a daily basis and I thought, How could this be happening to me? I had an MRI and was diagnosed with a Synovial Cyst which had formed between my L4-5 which was secondary to my main problem of Spinal Stenosis/Degenerative Disc Disease. I went to a spinal surgeon with another medical group and he recommended a minimal invasive surgery to clean out between L4-5 and then a bone fusion. I didn't feel comfortable with him as he didn't seem interested in answering my questions/concerns. I dealt with the pain for another month or so before I decided to get an second opinion, that's when I found Dr. Refai. I had to wait 2 months for a consult appointment with him, that was my first sign that he would be the surgeon for me! During my consult he spent a lot of time explaining what was going on with my body and what needed to be done. I immediately knew he could help me and that it was time to have the surgery. On May 7th, I had open surgery to remove the cyst and to have a lumbar fusion between my L4-5. Today is my 12 week post-surgery date. I waited to write this review because I wanted to tell you not only about how incredible Dr. Refai is with what he does but to tell you about how my recovery has developed. I didn't have any review to read about that so I thought you having to read one would help you to understand what exactly to expect. I was scared to death! I had never had surgery or anesthesia so I didn't know what to expect! First. I also want to thank Dr. Refai's nurse, Shawnee....she helped me tremendously through this whole process. She compliments Dr. Refai!! I mentioned that I am a fitness trainer, I am 51 years old and have been exercising regularly since I graduated from college in 1984 so my body was in excellent condition before I had my surgery. I truly believe that because my body was in such good shape that my recovery has been so successful so if you are considering this surgery get out and your body moving and exercise as much as you can even it it's just walking before you have this procedure done. The first 4-5 weeks after surgery aren't pretty! You will need to take lots of pain meds and stay on top of the pain and you will need someone to help you. I was heavily medicated for about 4.5 weeks but I was up and about after 7 days. I started walking with a walker but after 3 days got rid of that. At 2 weeks post surgery I was walking one mile, I was slower then my norm but I was walking and I worked through the pain. After 3 weeks I was out walking 2 miles every morning. After 4 weeks I was walking 2.5 miles every morning but was picking up speed with my walk. At 5 weeks I started weening myself off the drugs...which was hard because I still had the pain and I started back instructing my evening BootCamp class ( I had someone drive me and had a chair to sit in when needed). At 6 weeks I was drug free, driving and was back instructing all 3 of my BootCamp Teams (two in the morning, one in the evening). I was NOT doing any exercises but was there. After trying for 2 weeks, at 8 weeks I was able to hold a plank and was up to walking with my dogs at a vigorous pace for up 4 miles daily. From weeks 8-12 I have noticed myself getting stronger and stronger each week...and I kept wearing my brace when I was up and active. At my 7-week post surgery appt. with Dr. Refai he did not prescribe physical therapy for me because of my fitness background, instead he encouraged me to try different exercises to see what I could and could not do. Each week I have discovered different things I can do. I am not exercising full capacity at 12 weeks post surgery but I am out walking up to 5 miles at times plus doing some exercises that I can do without causing too much discomfort. I know I am not the normal patient who undergoes this surgery. My review to you is to encourage you to have the procedure so that you can eventually get back your quality of life. I waited 7 months before I had my surgery...that was 7 months of pain and misery. Immediately after surgery, leg pain was gone and the rehab was started. At 12 weeks post-surgery I will say that it was worth it. I have some days when I hurt and know it is because I tend to overdo and push myself too much, on those days I take it easy and take a valium before I go to bed. I know I still have a more recovery ahead of me but I know that in time I will prevail and be back at 100%! If you decide to have this surgery.... Listen to Dr. Refai so your body is ready to recover if you have this surgery....lose weight, don't smoke, condition your body....this way you will be able to recover better. Thank you again Dr. Refai and Shawnee for helping me! I know this is a long review but I hope that my words of experience will help you or someone you know who is experiencing a decline in the quality of life due to back issues like I have experienced! Don't be scared! Let Dr. Refai help you! He's the BEST!!!! Good luck!

by G.Nolley on Jul 24th, 2014

I appreciated Dr.Rafai's honesty and knowledge regarding my diagnosis. He kept open communication with me and my family and had incredible bedside manner. Dr.Rafai listened to my concerns and now I am pain free!

by sandra thompson-fry on Jul 21st, 2014

The surgery, in hospital, as well as outpatient care was above and beyond what was expected.

Dr. Refai has a secret weapon that will help you get well show details Dr. Refai has a secret weapon that will help you get well
by Rebekah on Jun 29th, 2014

Dr. Refai was straight forward and conservative in his approach towards my problem. He explained what the problem was, the risks involved, the time frame in which surgery was warranted. He is conservative and wanted the best outcome. If I needed this surgery again, I'd go straight to him. But his secret weapon, my hero, is his nurse Shawnee who managed my pain meds and side effects in a warm and loving and understanding way. She talked me off a mental ledge and I cried at her and she was sweet, had a plan and then told me to take action. I could not have done it without her. I met her at my consultation and she was the first person I spoke to when I got home. She made sure I was taken care for physically and mentally and am so grateful for her. The nurse matters a lot! Once the surgeons operation is over your nurse manages your post op concerns and problems. I now completely understand why people love nurses. But Shawnee made the experience tolerable. I needed her and her tough loving mothering style more than I can put into words.

Excellent surgeon show details Excellent surgeon
by Heather on Jun 6th, 2014

My experience with Dr. Refai was excellent. I found both his skill as a surgeon and his bedside manner to be superior. He clearly cares about his patients and is very bright, confident, and capable. I felt like he worked *with* me and truly listened to my needs as well as provided honest and straightforward feedback about our options (surgical and non-surgical). It is clear that he won't perform unnecessary surgery. After we exhausted all other medical, pharmacological, and therapeutic options, in the end, I needed surgery (a laminectomy and discectomy in my lower back), which he performed. I am very pleased with the result. I can walk again! I also would like to commend Dr. Refai's office staff and nurse, Shawnee Wallace. Everyone there is caring and kind, but she in particular shines as smart and efficient and very quick to respond to my calls and emails. When we ran into troubles with my insurance the day before surgery, she and the other office staff helped me navigate with ease. I feel strongly supported and like they are my advocates. Additionally, Shawnee has made herself available to me, before and after surgery, as a resource for any of my questions. I would recommend Dr. Refai and his team to anyone who needs back surgery. They are a very busy group, so if you know you have a problem, I recommend calling as soon as possible to get on their calendar to avoid a wait. But even with a wait, it is worth it to be in the hands of such a capable, skilled, and caring surgeron.

Experience with Dr. Daniel Refai show details Experience with Dr. Daniel Refai
by Richard Rothenberg, MD on May 3rd, 2014

Dr. Refai specializes in neuroorthopedic surgery and is a master. I've had two procedures (known as anterior diskectomy and fixation) to correct outlet obstruction at C3-4 and later at C5-6 and C7-Ti. His work is superb and the end result was the disappearance of pain, restoration of sensation and regaining of strength . If you have this procedure, expect difficulty in phonation and swallowing for several weeks to a month post-op (this comes with the territory and is to be expected). Dr. Refai is a warm, gracious and concerned physician who was a pleasure to work with.

Great Neurosurgeon show details Great Neurosurgeon
by Steven Ray on Apr 29th, 2014

I was diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis which was causing me to have neck pain and weakness and numbness in my arm, hands and fingers. I needed help with dressing and grooming and I love to fish and could not tie a knot on a hook. Thanks to Dr. Refai and the surgery he performed my problems were resolved. I can now tie a knot and get dressed and do other basic things that I could not do before without help. Dr. Refai took time to explain the procedure in detail and I am very pleased with the outcome. I would highly recommend Dr. Refai as a neurosurgeon.

by C. Michael on Apr 28th, 2014

Can't say enough positive things regarding Dr. Refai. He exceeded all of the expectations given and he made the entire experience of pre-op, surgery and post-op far easier and better than I had allowed myself to expect.

Intradural Tumor Removal Surgery show details Intradural Tumor Removal Surgery
Apr 23rd, 2014

I had a benign schwannoma tumor grow into my spinal canal in my neck. Dr. Refai quickly realized the gravity of the situation after seeing my initial MRI, and demanded I immediately check myself in for surgery. He took pictures during the surgery, and the technical work was incredible to see afterward. It was a major surgery, but now a year later I am pretty much back to normal. The tumor was squeezing my spinal cord to the point of me beginning to lose control of my arms and legs. He literally saved my life - I was close to becoming a quadriplegic. I highly recommend him and his very capable team at the Emory Midtown hospital.

cherry picking - guess it gets you stars show details cherry picking - guess it gets you stars
Apr 12th, 2014

I waited a long time (over and hour) to see his PA and then longer to see him. He was rude, arrogant and dismissive. He didn't feel like i should have surgery and that he definitely would not do it -- his medical opinion was fine - but his delivery was condescending and his bedside manner was terrible. I feel like I wasted my time and money to see him. He wouldn't even give me a recommendation as to what I should do since he didn't think I should have surgery (been trying conservative treatments for over a year now) -- just said you came for a surgical opinion and that is mine - we are done - and left the room. After all the four star reviews on here I was really let down. He didn't have to agree to surgery for me to give him a good review as i am not eager to be operated on, but he could have been nice and compassionate towards a sub group of us back suffers -- who have enough damage to be in pain and impaired - but apparently not enough to be the "proper" candidates for surgery. He told me that he know who goes through surgery well and who does not and that I would not -- I guess 3 minutes is enough to make that determination as he was only in the room with me for 5 all together.

Back Surgery at Emory downtown show details Back Surgery at Emory downtown
by S Thurman on Apr 8th, 2014

Dr. Refai was the only doctor that could help with my back issues. My surgery was very delicate as a disc was pressing against the spinal column. My incision was 15-16 inches and I did not have the first stitch, he glued the skin. Therefore I barely have a scar, it looks like a pencil mark straight down my back. He was very reassuring and make me feel confident. I now am walking, and sitting without pain. He answered all my questions before and after surgery . His office nurse returned all my calls or answered all my emails. He really cares about his patients and referred me to a hip surgeon.

Spinal Tumor show details Spinal Tumor
by Julia M. on Apr 3rd, 2014

If you are in need of a thoracic surgeon - this is definitely the person that you want! The level of care, professionalism, and expertise that we experienced here is out of this world! Please do not hesitate to call - everyone that we encountered at this office was awesome.

Excellence in Medicine show details Excellence in Medicine
by Mary Ann Ondrovic on Mar 6th, 2014

I would give Dr. Daniel ReFai five stars of excellence. PROFESSIONALISM KNOWLEDGE COMPASSION ATTENTION TO DETAIL FOLLOW THROUGH YOU ARE MY HERO...YOU ARE THE BEST!! Thank you!!

Mar 2nd, 2014

Dr. Refai did cervical fusion surgery on me about a month ago. He was very professional and the surgery went well.

level 4 fusion show details level 4 fusion
by Roger Curtin on Feb 24th, 2014

my first impression was wrong this doctor is awsome everything he said was spot on. i would like to tell him thanks for giving me a better life. no more pain in my shoulders and neck. first he got me to stop smoking then fixed me and hus staff is the best. i like the fact that he works with other doctors during surgerys, i had a thoart surgeon help too.best doctor for this type of surgery. dont let your first visit scare you he knows what he is doing.

Dr. Refai is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! show details Dr. Refai is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!
by Andrea D. on Feb 6th, 2014

I had been dealing with a CSF leak for almost five months when I met Dr. Refai. It was the second one I'd had, and it had kept me on bedrest for four months because I was pregnant and the four non-invasive blood patches that had been attempted weren't working. I met him on a Friday and he literally agreed to do my surgery 9 days later because I wanted to have it done before my preemie came home from the NICU. His approach, demeanor and expertise made me immediately comfortable - and the surgery ended up being much more complicated than either of us had imagined - but he removed C7, patched the degenerative area and sewed me back up. I am now seven weeks post-op, and while I have a bit of neck/shoulder/back pain from my recovery, my headaches are GONE. Even my scar looks FANTASTIC. I was and have been overwhelmed by his warmth, knowledge and interest in my well-being, and I am indebted to him - and to his staff - for LIFE!!!!

Cervical and Lumbar stenosis show details Cervical and Lumbar stenosis
by Vicki Connelly on Feb 5th, 2014

I would highly recommend Dr. Refai to anyone needing spinal surgery. Initially, I was so impressed with the time he took to talk with me and answer any questions that both my husband and I had. The decision to go ahead with surgery was entirely up to us. I was fully confident that with his diagnosis and surgical experience I would be fine. I just went for my CT scan after a year and all is well. I have been golfing and enjoying life pain free.

Dr. Refai and staff was awesome show details Dr. Refai and staff was awesome
by Deborah Malone on Jan 28th, 2014

I was so pleased with Dr Refai and his staff. The hospitality was awesome. I was very pleased with Lauren and Shawnee as well. If I ever hear of anyone that have neck problems and need a doctor I will definitely refer them to Dr Refai. Thanks again Dr Refai!!!!!!!

Sales show details Sales
by Bonny Moore on Jan 23rd, 2014

I immediately felt comfortable with Dr. Refai and his team. He didn't sugar coat my situation or his surgical recommendation. He spent time examining me and giving me options. I saw him several times and his pre-surgery visit eased me even more. His entire team was just as thoughtful and confident. I'm currently recovering nicely and am already feeling my pre-surgery symptoms going away. I had been in pain so long and it feels so good to know that I see a brighter future. Thank you Dr. Refai, Shawnee and everyone else at Emory. You can't imagine what you've given me and my family and I hope you know that.

To know this doctor is to love this doctor show details To know this doctor is to love this doctor
by Paul Madsen on Jan 21st, 2014

Dealing with Dr. Refai was one of the best experience I have ever had with the medical industry. He will make you trust doctors all over again. He is the kind of person that cares about making your quality of life the best it can possible be. What I like most, is that he gets excited about healing you and I think that is an important quality that is missing in the medical industry. I would refer him to anybody that I felt he could help like he helped me. He turned my life around, so if there is anything he needs me to do to help him I am there. Thanks for my life back Sir

Awesome! show details Awesome!
by Debbie Thomas on Jan 19th, 2014

My Mother was a patient of Daniel S. Refai. He did a VERY SERIOUS surgery on her neck that also included coordinating the surgery with an ENT Specialist also. Dr. Refai was a wonderful, compassionate & caring Dr. Our experience with him was exceptional!! We ended up in ICU for like 12 to 13 days instead of the 2 days originally planned after surgery. We had our whole family there or at least several there every day in the ICU waiting room. He and his Associates came by to talk with us all every day to explain my Mother's condition and they were wonderful at keeping us updated on her progress. I also loved Dr. Refai's Nurse, Shawnee. She was always available to help with the details and help us whenever needed. We would definitely refer them to anyone looking to have serious spine surgery. I sure hope we don't need surgery again any time soon, but if we did that's exactly who I'd want to operate on any of my family members!!!!

Overall Experience show details Overall Experience
by TJA on Jan 17th, 2014

I would consider my experience with Dr. Refai and his staff excellent. I had a small blip with Emory insurance people, but that was quickly resolved. The front office staff were always quick and efficient. Even when I was late, I was seen in about 15 minutes or so. His nurse and PA were involved and interested in my situation. They return emails promptly, follow-ed up with me within a day or so, and are committed to the entire process. I had three vertebrae fused and the surgery was successful. The recovery was tough, but shorter than anticipated. What I appreciated most was that I felt I was in competent, skilled hands. I wanted information, options, decisions, then efficiency. I believe I got that. Thanks Doc !

Ph.D. show details Ph.D.
by Howard Fields on Jan 14th, 2014

After enduring many years of back pain and after exhausting all conservative treatments, it became apparent that I needed fusion surgery to treat my back caused by profound degenerative discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1. Despite living in Atlanta, GA, I was initially referred to the MAYO clinic in Jacksonville, FL because of their outstanding reputation for spinal surgery. I met with a neurosurgeon who recommended a controversial exam called a discogram, which is designed to determine the origin of my back pain. This exam demonstrated that I indeed needed fusion surgery and he recommended a posterior 3 level procedure using an insert into the disc spaces composed of a scaffold and a sponge saturated with a protein called bone morphogenic protein which recruits bone cells necessary for fusion to occur. With many questions still unanswered, I returned home and decided to consult with another neurosurgeon. After much research, I decided to make an appointment with Dr. Refai. My initial impression was excellent. He reviewed all of the data and recommended fusion surgery as well; however, he carefully explained that not only would he only fuse 2 vertebrae (not 3), but also he strongly recommended an anterior approach because of a much shorter recovery time interval. I found him to be professional, compassionate, a good listener, and he explained his justifications for his recommendations in language that I could readily understand. Furthermore, he explained the risks and benefits and the success rate in his practice compared to the national rates for the same procedure. His success rates are higher because he carefully selects his patients. In other words, if he feels as if he would be unable to help you, then he will not operate. This approach was very encouraging to me and I decided to have Dr. Refai perform the surgery rather than going back to the MAYO Clinic. I also had the opportunity to meet with his team; namely, Jessica, P.A. and Shawnee, RN both of whom are excellent. The surgery went very well and now I am 5 months beyond my surgical date. My pain level has dropped precipitously, but not to zero. Shawnee, who held my hand throughout the recovery period, is one of the kindest, honest, uplifting, helpful, and spiritual persons I have ever known. I don't know what I would have done without her always within close reach whenever the need arose. Dr. Refai is extremely happy with my outcome and expects me to lead a normal life within a short time. I am beyond grateful to him and his team and would highly recommend this very caring highly skilled surgeon to anyone in search of surgical back pain relief.

Silva Family show details Silva Family
by Silva, Janette on Dec 30th, 2013

Dr. Refai and his staff took care of both me and my son. I had to have a 4 level cervical fusion and my son had a T6 herniated disk. The entire experience was wonderful and I am very thankful for Dr. Refai and his staff.

by Cooper, Robert S on Dec 21st, 2013

Dr Refai was / is excellent. He takes time with the family and patient. Very thorough, caring, concerned. He Diagnosed my problem and was right on target -- the afternoon of my surgery , I saw immediate resultss. IF I need any more surgery on the spine HE IS MY DR . RECOMMEND HIM TO ANY ONE NEEDING A GREAT SURGEON FOR SPINE !!!

Spinal Tumor Removal show details Spinal Tumor Removal
by Richard on Dec 11th, 2013

I had a tumor (ping-pong ball sized) removed from my spine between the L1 & L2 region. I was in a great deal of pain before the surgery, and once this diagnosis was made, Dr. Refai removed the tumor within weeks. Although it was a difficult and painful major surgery, I am almost fully recovered and have none of the painful symptoms that I had previously. Dr. Refai is extremely knowledgeable and courteous and cares about his patients. His staff is extraordinarily courteous and knowledgeable as well. My experience could not have been better with Dr. Refai and the Emory Health Care Center.

life changing show details life changing
by George Menzies on Nov 4th, 2013

I was refered to Dr. Refai from another neurosurgeron who had a great reputation but would not operate on me due to the possible outcomes of this very delicate operation. After reviewing my records and MRI's , he walked into the exam room and asked me if I would like to be relieved of 95% of my pain. A resounding yes sprang from my lips , after years of debilitating pain I was willing to chance the possible outcomes, all of which was quite negative. A successful outcome resulted due to Dr. Refai's skill and expertise.

Oct 8th, 2013

He and his radiologist didn't even report on the sequestered disc at l2 which I was there for. It was not until I had the radiologist review the results did they even see the lesion and put an addendum on the report. My home town radiologist had to correct them. Thoroughly not impressed and I'm a physician. A most unfortunate experience.

retired show details retired
by R.Cooper on Sep 17th, 2013

very personable Dr. took time with me as patient and my family; very thorough in explaining procedure and diagnosis. staff was also superb very attentive to every need or request. I WOULD RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE NEEDING A NEUROSURGEON.

by C A Johnson on Jul 25th, 2013

After struggling with neck pain for a number of years, my symptoms werehad deteriated to constant pain, numbness and tingling in my face, neck and shoulder. My internist referred me to the Emory Ortho and Spine Center. After a number of tests, I met with Dr. Daniel Refai. He explained my problem in great detail, giving me treatment options and the relative risk for each option. I found his recommendations consistent with the xrays and complete enough for me to make a reasonable decision regarding treatment. We scheduled surgery and he repaired 3 discs in my neck. The surgery, recovery and healing process went exactly as he had outlined. I have now been released to normal activity and have no symptoms whatsoever!! Dr. Refai has given me new freedom to normal activities without pain and I will forever be grateful for his expert treatment.

May 23rd, 2013

If you are the least bit overweight this man will not treat you. If he had listened he would've heard that I was there because i was falling. He thought I was there for back pain but was too busy telling me to lose 60 pounds. (I need to lose 30 according to my doctor.) He is, at best, an idiot egomaniac. Oh please don't waste your time.

Incredible Physician show details Incredible Physician
by Peter P on Mar 18th, 2013

My mother suffered back and hip pain for nearly a year. After seeking out help from a number of doctors and specialists, I finally set up an appointment to see Dr. Monson at Emory Clinic. After seeing my mom, Dr. Monson immediately referred her to Dr. Refai. Dr. Refai diagnosed spinal stenosis and scheduled her for a spinal laminectomy. Two weeks later my mom had surgery. The results of the surgery have been nothing short of miraculous. My mother's pain is completely gone and she has all of her mobility back. Before the surgery she could hardly walk. The surgery was so effective that my mom was able to return to her part-time work as a nursing professor two weeks earlier than projected. All this and my mom is 72 years old. I love the Emory system and Dr. Refai is an exceptional surgeon. I am very thankful we found him.

Sep 30th, 2012

This guy has an ego a mile long. He operated on me but today I am still unsure if he was even in the operating room. I never saw him following my surger or prior to my release from Emory Hospital. I would never recommend him.

Sep 14th, 2012

Dr. Refai did an outstanding surgery on my back. I had suffered w/increasing pain in my lumbar spine for years.I was blessed to be put in contact w/Dr. Refai. He told us he felt he could help me and did. I was hospitalized for 2 wks. w/him or a staff Dr. coming by each day. They were all concerned and knowledgable of my surgery. After 3 mos..I am now pain free in my back w/the surgical pain getting better each day. Dr. Refai did more than expected and I would highly recommend him. I feel he is an honest and caring physican.

July 5th 2011 C-3 thru T2 fusion show details July 5th 2011 C-3 thru T2 fusion
Sep 8th, 2012

Having to stay in the hospital for 10 days was just a little trying, however, my caregivers and physicians ,Dr. Refai and Dr. Stewart, were top notch. There are not enough stars to check off on this survey. Without surgery I would more than likely be in a wheelchair. I am now fully healed, riding bikes, walking, gardening and horseriding. Their combined skill and care were extroidinary.

Waste of time show details Waste of time
Feb 5th, 2012

Waited 2 hours to see this jerk. Should have checked his ego at the door. With only 5 years experience, he obviously has not realized how far a compassionate and humble attitude can take his practice. Waste of time and money.

Jan 30th, 2012

Dr. Daniel Refai is a miracle worker. I had neck problems for almost 20 years with 2 prior surgeries. I was told by 4 other surgeons that surgery was not a possibility and my prognosis was to get worse until I was paralyzed. I was physically addicted to morphine among other things which I had been taking for several years. Dr. Refai insisted that I stop taking the narcotics before he would do the surgery. He made me wait for 6 months, which shows he's not knife happy. Today I am contemplating going back to work after not being able to work at all for 3 years now. I have taken no pain killers since those given by Dr. Refai and I don't want or need them, not even tylenol. I feel like a new woman and can't wait to live my life. To me this is miraculous, I thought my life was over, it's just begun. Thank you so much Dr. Refai, I am eternally grateful to you and Emory.

Outstanding Surgeon! show details Outstanding Surgeon!
May 11th, 2011

I found Dr Refai after being referred to someone else in his practice that could not see me for months, but was told Dr Refai had availability. I intended to get 2-3 opinions before agreeing to have surgery, therefore I took the appointment. Since Dr Refai joined Emory Spine at the beginning of 2010, I could not find any reviews of him but I liked his credentials and was anxious to meet him. After meeting with him one time, I cancelled the other appointments. Dr Refai performed a laminectomy on L4/5 in February. I was not one of the people that was instantly free of pain after surgery. I was in the majority of people that need time for the sciatic pain to calm down, which it did in eight weeks. Dr Refai and his nurse, Holly, are amazing! In the first few weeks, I emailed his nurse frequently with questions. She would discuss it with Dr Refai, and she always responded within hours. I know many of the ortho doctors in Atlanta after years of back pain related to spinal stenosis. I think I was lucky to find Dr Refai when I did. I disagree with the first two reviewers regarding arrogance. I found Dr Refai to be extremely considerate, professional and giving of his time. He diagnosed my situation exactly as it was suggested by my Physiatrist and others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion based on what is true to them. However, I would not let another person's subjective perception about arrogance sway me when making a decision about finding the right person to operate on my spine! I chose Dr Refai based on his education, experience, and yes, bedside manner.

Outstanding Doctor show details Outstanding Doctor
Mar 28th, 2011

I had spinal surgery at Emory Hospital done by Dr. Refai. I had excellent care by him and the staff at Emory during my stay there. During and after my surgery, the doctor made sure that my husband was kept fully informed of my progress. Dr. Refai checked on me every day during my stay in the hospital, and has made several phone calls to my home to check on my progress.Dr. Refai is one of the most professional doctors that I have experienced...and he seems genuinely concerned about my health. He is an excellent surgeon and I would want him again if I had to have another operation. Based on my experience I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND him to anyone who needs spinal surgery.

EXCEPTIONAL care, best doctor ever! show details EXCEPTIONAL care, best doctor ever!
Mar 27th, 2011

I recently had spine surgery at Emory. Dr. Refai not only was a superb surgeon, but followed up with me EVERY DAY, in-person at the hospital. He was so caring and compassionate, even showing up at 8am on a Saturday. Thank you so much!

Mar 21st, 2011

My actual wait time was over an hour and a half... just as the person that rated him before me, I too found him to be arrogant and exceptionally rude. He couldn't care less about your wait time, your pain or what your there for. I would NEVER recommend this "Dr." to anyone EVER...it's one thing to be skilled and educated and it's another to have all that AND compassion which he does not have. Just goes to show that you CANNOT go by credentials on a website alone. He needs to check his inflated ego at the door before he enters to talk to a patient.