Neurological Surgeons, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)

The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N Wolfe St
Baltimore, MD 21287
(410) 955-4424
Locations and availability (5)

• Currently 3.6197183098592 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.6197183098592 of 4 stars
 |  Long trip for nothing  |  show details
Mar 28th, 2014

After years of severe pain and several spine surgeries, I was told to accept that I was a "skeletal cripple". His exact words!. He said he does not do surgery to relieve pain -- but would if it was loss of life or limb. Arrogant man who never touched me and dictated his notes before I left his office. I left without hope.

|  Waste of time  |  show details
Dec 8th, 2013

Horrible experience.

Nov 18th, 2013

I would not recommend this surgeon. Arrogant. Waste of time. Find someone with more experience.

|  patient  |  show details
by unhappy on Sep 24th, 2013

I had a horrible expierence He ruined my life. Not only is my body damaged, so is my brain.

|  Told to get another opinion!?!  |  show details
by Jeanne m. on Mar 23rd, 2013

It feels like forever to finally get in to see this doctor. I was counting down the days! I just wanted someone to get rid of my pain and make me feel human again. So the big question on their form was "how would you rate your pain now". So I was assuming that this was right at that moment, so I put a 3. Okay, so this appointment was the first thing that I did upon getting up. Ask me the same question around 6 p.m. And it would be an 8. So the doctor, seeing a 3, and not listening to anything else, proceeded to tell me to get another opinion. He didn't really think that I needed surgery. Hello?!?! I am on $500 worth of pain meds a month. I can't move without pain. So anyway, I am going to see a neurosurgeon he recommends in Seattle this summer. I am really frustrated at this point!! I just want help!!

|  scoliosis  |  show details
May 24th, 2012

I had a scoliosis of my spine and had terrible back and leg pain. Dr. Sciubba did a two day large surgery on my back. The recovery was tough but my back and leg pain are so much better that I am glad I went through with it. He is a caring and talented surgeon. He takes the patient through each step of the long process.

|  Surgery on Bulging Disc  |  show details
May 23rd, 2012

I had surgery on April 6th for the above. I wanted to wait 45 days before commenting.The pain down my leg is gone &the incession is healing nicely. Dr. Sciubba is a caring person and wonderful surgeon. The only issue we have is with the office staff communicating with us about cancelling my f/u appointment. We are from out of state and by not being notified properly we went to Balto. unnecessarily.

|  great doctor  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2012

save my life

|  Cured!  |  show details
Feb 28th, 2012

I had a large tumor in my spine and DR sciubba took it out in a minimally invasive way. i am basically cured of the tumor (although i will keep being monitored) and my back is already feeling better. The whole experience was no big deal despite being very scared when I was first diagnosed. He took me through each step of the process in a caring way.

|  How would I know!  |  show details
Feb 23rd, 2012

I called to make an appointment on a Monday and the person on the phone was extremely short and rude to me and asked me if I had faxed in my report. After I answered no (because I am calling for the first time and didn't know the procedure) she told me an appt. can't be made until he has reviewed the report and hung up on me. I was shocked at the treatment I was given in less than 60 sec over the phone. However, he is supposed to be a good Dr so I went ahead and hand walked my report into the Timonium office where a really nice lady faxed them for me and also hand delivered them to Dr. Sciubba himself. I called Tuesday and again a lady who answered the phone was again rude to me. I felt like I was bothering her as she came off that way when talked to me. She told me it takes 48 hrs to get back to me. Wednesday I called and called but never was able to get a person on the phone. I finally left a message at about 4pm since it had now been over 48 hrs. Thursday still no call back. So I had to find another neurosurgeon. I was never once explained the full process of how to get an appointment and can't believe how rudely I was treated in such a short period of time.

|  Outstanding!  |  show details
Jan 10th, 2012

Dr Scuibba is a great person and a great surgeon. I had spinal cord compression in my thoracic spine, which is very high risk surgery. He operated through the side of my chest and removed the bony spur on my spinal cord. I have healed well and I am so reassured that this was taken care of so safely! He took me through each step and I am so grateful.

|  Thank You!  |  show details
Nov 22nd, 2011

Dr Sciubba treated my family and me with so much respect. He understands the important fears that the patient has and tries to address all of them. Although he is well known throughout the country, he is very approachable and spends a lot of time. My legs feel great after my lumbar decompression and I am very happy I went to see Dr Sciubba.

|  My spine tumor is gone!  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2011

Doctor Sciubba removed a tumor that was crushing my spinal cord. I was out of the hospital in 3 days and pain resolved pretty fast. The best thing is I may be cured! We will have to follow with MRI scans to make sure nothing comes back, but I am so happy. I have to admit that I was so scared before the operation, but Dr. Sciubba took me through each step. He is a kind and excellent Doctor.

|  Improved my life!  |  show details
Aug 8th, 2011

I had problems walking for years. I was scared to have surgery but knew I had to. Dr. Sciubba opened up my spinal canal and not a day goes by since surgery that I am not grateful. You gave me my life back.thank you

|  OUTSTANDING!  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2011

Doctor Sciubba is a leader in his field.He is also a kind man who tells u to the best of his ability what to expect with or without surgery. He takes you through the steps which really makes you feel cared for. I would recommend him to all my friends and family!

|  Great person  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2011

Dr Sciubba is not only a great surgeon but a great person. He has an international reputation for tumor surgery and minimal invasive surgery but comes off like an all around good guy. He spent more time with me than any other surgeon and truly cares about the patient and their family. We are very grateful to Dr. Sciubba for his great efforts.

|  Disappointed  |  show details
Jul 28th, 2011

After I had 14 hours of lumbar surgeryI had numbness, swelling and pain in my lower abdomen and was told it would go away, but 4 months later, I returned and after waiting an hour, he told me that it would go away again. I went to another surgeon, he said it was nerve damage from the surgery and would likely get worst, not better.I just wish he would have been honest with me. After 5 months, I still have the swelling and pain and unable to do normal excercise and other activties,

Jul 2nd, 2011

Thank you Dr. Sciubba for saving my husband! Daniel Sciubba was the best thing that could have happened to our family. The amount for knowledge and warmth he expressed to us was astounding. He made my family feel like his family! Dr. Sciubba did a wonderful job removing a sacral tumor, he saved all of my husbands nerves when several other M.D's said it was impossible. There is no amount of words to express our gratitude towards this wonderful physician. Thank you again Dave wind and Lyndsay

May 28th, 2011

I was a "high risk" patient who had steadily worsening symtoms for twelve years. I have been told that I was "not a good candidate" for any surgery. Dr Dan did not promise me pain relief but he did stabilize my spine and so far there has been noticeable improvement in my pain just one month out. This man is a very talented doctor and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anybody.

|  Patient  |  show details
May 20th, 2011

Dr. Sciubba is the best in his field. He literally saved my life with a 12 hour surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in my spine which was paralyzing my legs. His vast knowledge and his willingness to attempt new techniques gave me years of life and the ability to walk. He not only treated me with compassion, but he treated my family with caring patience, answers to their questions and encouragement to face the unknown. I have known too many pysicians in my life and Dr. Sciubba is the best, without a doubt. Each day I can put my feet on the floor, I thank God for him and his skills.

Apr 22nd, 2011

I had tightness on my cervical spine. He opened it up and now my arms and legs are stronger and I can walk better. I have recovered very fast too. I was very happy with my care. He is a good surgeon and a nice man.

|  Caring Doctor  |  show details
Apr 19th, 2011

Dr. Sciubba is one of the most down to earth doctors I have met. His approach is thorough and sympathetic. He is great surgeon and a great person. His approach to me and my family was both reassuring and caring. If you are considering surgery, Dr. Sciubba will take you through the pros and cons in a very clear way. If he does the surgery, he will do everything to make sure it goes as well as possible.Thanks Dr. Sciubba.

Apr 4th, 2011

saw me for about 15 minutes. told me to get another mri[guess 3 wasn't enough]and said to come back in 3 months. if you don't have an obvious problem don't come to him

Feb 24th, 2011

Very nice man, who takes time to explain medical concerns to the patient.

Feb 12th, 2011

Great surgeon...and cute to boot!

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2010

I had sufferred from back pain for over 5 years. I saw many doctors who were unwilling to do much about it. However, he performed a minimally invasive lumbar fusion and has changed my life dramatically. He is one of the few doctors within the US to perform these types of procedures. I was out of the hospital in 3 days and now enjoying my life. He has a great demeanor comes across more like a regular joe than a presitigous John Hopkins Doctor. Felt at ease and trusted this guy. Great guy, Great doctor

|  Lifesaver!  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2010

Doctor Sciubba recently removed a spine tumor from my daughter. She was sent to him from out of state because he specializes in complex spine cases. He took her through a long and complicated surgery and she did great! We thank God he has helped us with her condition and trust him with her life.Thank you Doctor Sciubba!

|  honest doctor  |  show details
Jun 23rd, 2010

Doctor Sciubba has provided honest and thoughtful recommendations to me and my family. Although one of my family members was treated by him and did fantastic, he has advised me against surgery and wishes to manage me conservatively. His honest approach is greatly appreciated as he feels that the majority of patients do not need surgery. In those patients that do, I think he offers an excellent opinion and he is an excellent surgeon.

|  Highly recommended!  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2010

Dr Sciubba is a true expert in managing spinal tumors! Not only does he have vast experience in treating different types (inside the spinal cord or in the bony spine), but he also devotes his laboratory efforts to improving treatment. Most importantly, Dr. Sciubba understands how to treat patients and their families who are suffering from cancer. Probably his strongest attribute is that he becomes a member of your family when he is treating you for cancer. Time seems to be no object when he discusses he thoughts and plans for treatment and recovery. We are so blessed to have Dr Sciubba in our lives helping us with our father's struggle with cancer of the spine. I would recommend him to anyone suffering from a spine tumor looking to get the best medical and personal care in the country!Thanks Dr. Sciubba!

|  Must go to this Doctor!  |  show details
May 7th, 2010

Doctor Sciubba is an exceptional surgeon and person! He took my husband through a big deformity surgery and my husband did great. But what was more important to us were the ways in which he handled our expectations, fears and recovery. Doctor Sciubba is caring, patient and honest. We know he is an expert surgeon, but we appreciated his sympathy for our problems and his decisiveness in his planning. We have become friends with Doctor Sciubba and trust him completely.Thanks!

|  caring doctor  |  show details
Mar 29th, 2010

Dr Sciubba is truly a caring doctor! Everytime we see him, he has has spent a great deal of time with us, really trying to understand my problem. I was operated on by Dr Sciubba, and I have done great. My pain is gone and I have my life back. He is a straight-shooter and always gives an honest view of surgical benefit and risks. He is now seeing other family members because we trust him so much. Thanks Dr. Sciubba!

Mar 22nd, 2010

I was supposed to see wolinsky but i got sciuba. he was nice and recommended surgery for my back pain. i ended up going to my doctor in annapolis. I was worried that sciuba just graduated from training.

|  I owe you - thanks!  |  show details
by John on Feb 23rd, 2010

Dr. Sciubba saw me after I was operated on by other surgeons. I did not have any relief from my terrible leg and back pain. Dr. Sciubba offered me a spinal fusion mainly for back pain and told me that the leg pain may not substantially improve since there was scarring from previous surgery. He repeated the nerve decompression and fused my spine. I cannot believe how my back pain improved and how I have no leg pain anymore! I could not walk for longer than a few blocks without stopping before the surgery. Now I have gone on multiple vacations where all I do is hike (washington state, alaska). I owe it to Dr. Sciubba and his team.Thanks again - he is a great guy.

|  Great Doctor!  |  show details
by Karen on Jan 13th, 2010

Dr. Dan Sciubba saved our father's life and allowed him to remain a loving part of our family. After our father suffered a stroke and brain bleed, he went into a coma and almost died. Dr. Sciubba operated on his brain, removed the clot and saved his life. Now Dad has made a great recovery and can do all the things he has always done. We are so grateful to him for taking the time to sit with us when Dad was in critical care. He felt like a member of our family. We could not be happier with the care Dr. Sciubba gave to Dad and to our whole family!

|  Doing great  |  show details
by Tom on Jan 13th, 2010

saw dr sciubba after multiple other doctors said they could not help. not only am i doing better, but my nerve pain has completely resolved

|  great doctor  |  show details
by Ellen on Jan 13th, 2010

had surgery on my back and was out the next morning. my care and stay were excelent

|  Thanks!  |  show details
Jan 13th, 2010

Doctor Sciubba is a caring and gifted surgeon. I was getting paralyzed by a spine tumor that he successfully removed. I am now tumor free and recovering my strength! I owe hime for giving me my life back.

|  don't go to this doctor!  |  show details
Nov 25th, 2009

he operated on my neck and paralyzed my shoulder. my neck never felt better and then i was left with a paralyzed shoulder.