Family Physicians
944 Baldwin Rd
Ste A
Lapeer, MI 48446
810-245-5562
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

|  Registered Nurse  |  show details
by Wendy T on Jul 18th, 2014

I am a registered nurse and a reluctant member of an Health Maintenance Organization. I chose this doctor because I thought her star score on these review sites meant she was a good doctor. As far as her as a person I would say she is nice and she is thorough. However, being a Primary Care Physician, she is required to see patients within 24 hours. On Monday 6/30 I contacted her office with laryngitis, swollen sore throat that was closing off, ear pain, fever, and cough. Her staff told me they could not get me in that week because of the 4th of July holiday 4 days later. I was forced to go to the urgent care and pay a huge fee because the insurance expects you to see your doctor. The urgent care determined I had streptococcus. I took the medication and was getting better but called the office on 7/7 for a follow up and also because my 8 year old son had started to get sick. I was again told they could not get me in until that Friday (another 4 days later). Keep in mind insurance requires them to see you same day. I ended up not going in anywhere but took my son to his old pediatrician (which I only left because of being forced into an Health Maintenance Organization) and ended up paying another high fee. My illness seemed to be going away and 2 days later it started back up. I called on Tuesday 7/15 and was again told they could not see me and so I did schedule for Thursday 7/17. The doctor was courteous as usual and thorough and put me on another round of medication. Now comes the fun. My husband, also a registered nurse, started feeling ill on Wednesday and by Friday 7/18 (today) he had the laryngitis and the swollen throat. I contacted the office as the weekend is coming and was told they can't get him in until next Thursday (6 days away) because she is going out of town. I then asked if she would just call him in an antibiotic because he has all the same symptoms as me. She knows that he has the same illness. The nurse (excuse me medical assistant that calls herself a nurse) said she would ask the doctor but she didn't think she would do it. After not getting a call the entire day with the results of the question, I contacted the office. Now I am going to make this a long story short but I was very nice while talking to this 'nurse' and when she very rudely informed me that the doctor would not be doing that I asked if it would be ok if spoke to the doctor. She went so far off the wall that a 15 minute call ended with me crying (and let me mention never yelling or speaking disrespectfully to her while she yelled at me on the phone so loud my husband could hear it across the room and recorded it and can hear it plainly on the recording although I was not on speakerphone). My blood pressure sky rocketed, I don't have blood pressure issues. Because of this I ended up with a terrible nose bleed. Now I am a registered nurse and my husband is a registered nurse. I have worked in medical for 20 years. I actually got my degree and don't just call myself a nurse (a huge disgust of mine since I worked hard for my degree and yet medical assistants are constantly calling themselves nurses in doctor's offices). Being a registered nurse I have never been treated so disrespectful in my life by anyone. They never did have the doctor contact me as expected. I would never in my life recommend this office to any one. I will be writing reviews everywhere, reporting this office to the insurance company on Monday, I've already changed my family's doctor, and I will be writing letters to both the physician (which I'm sure she will never get as I'm sure the staff will see to that) and to the office manager. Please please please take the advice of another medical professional and please find someone else to go to. It really is not worth being treated like that by the office staff and quite possibly the doctor if she is allowing this practice to occur. Word of mouth can end a practice and I sure hope she fixes the issues and replaces the staff before she no longer has a practice. My family of 5 is leaving and my parents are leaving her as well. That's really sad.

|  Excellent experience  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2014

I went to see Dr. Murphy about my depression and anxiety. As you might imagine, I was terrified of making an appointment with anyone, especially because I had to pick a new doctor. I couldn't be more pleased with the way Dr. Murphy and her staff were. They were friendly, polite and understanding. None of them made me feel uncomfortable or silly (things I feared when making the appointment). The nurse who I saw explained what their procedure was for the diagnosis (fill out a survey of my symptoms). Dr. Murphy spoke with me, explained my treatment options and side effects I might expect from the medication. She also made it very clear that I could call at any time if I had questions or concerns, and that they would work with me on any problems I was having. At no point did I feel rushed -- she was willing to give me as much time as I needed to talk about my problem. I got very, very lucky selecting Dr. Murphy. I would recommend her 100%.

|  Family Docs Clinic  |  show details
by Citysearch User on Jul 26th, 2006 on insiderpages.com

This is a clinic with 3 family doctors, my favorite being Dr. Darla Murphy. She is thorough, very caring, and took her time with me. I never...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com