Surgical Specialist, Urologists
201 W 69th St
Ste 100
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
605-336-0635
Locations and availability (4)

2.5

|  Not horrible...but not great either.  |  show details
Oct 19th, 2011

The first problem I had with this place was the wait. Apparently there was some new computer system and it was running patients behind. While the receptionist did tell us that, what we didn't know is that we would wait over an hour in the waiting room, and over ten minutes in the exam room for a visit that took MAYBE five minutes. My husband and I went there for male infertility issues. Dr. Hofer examined him (took maybe thirty seconds), told us everything looked just fine and there was nothing he could do for us. IVF was probably our best option. No investigation as to anything else that could be done, hormonal issues, etc. Guess my only advice is to go at your own risk, but don't be surprised if you are shoved in and out of the exam room pretty quickly.

|  Misdiagnosis of stone in ureterocele  |  show details
May 1st, 2010

Dr. Hofer is friendly and great at answering a patient's questions; however, he misdiagnosed me. I had a stone in a ureterocele, which he misdiagnosed as an enlarged prostate. I attempted to resolve this with him three times, and he refused to do so. He concedes to the misdiagnosis, and that it caused months of trauma involving interrupted urine flow and blood in my urine, an unnecessary surgery and me to be put in a position where I had to make a decision on whether or not to get a Transurethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP)(his recommendation for me based on his misdiagnosis). The risks associated with this surgery (which as it turns out was never necessary since I did not have an enlarged prostate) are impotence, retrograde ejaculation, bleeding, infection, blood clots, scarring of the urethra and absorption of fluid during the procedure. Fortunately, while agonizing over the decision of whether or not to undergo the TURP, I had appendicitis and in preparation for my appendectomy, a stone was discovered, along with a ureterocele, both of which were revealed via a CT Scan. Therefore, I scheduled with Dr. Hofer to remove the stone. During the 1st surgery to remove the stone, he didn't remove it because it was in a ureterocele, which he knew about from the CT scan, but apparently didn't know it contained the stone. When I asked him why he didn't remove the stone, he said because he hadn't apprised me of the risks of removing a stone from a ureterocele. I had signed a document authorizing him to take care of unforseen issues that may arise during surgery. Also, why wouldn't he simply take 2 minutes prior to the surgery to advise me there was a stone and a ureterocele, and if the stone happened to be in the ureterocele, obtain additional permission to take care of that. Therefore, the unnecessary surgery could have been prevented by either a correct diagnosis to begin with, or by simply taking 2 minutes to obtain permission to deal with the stone if per chance it were in the ureterocele, which he admits knowing about due to the CT scan results which his office had. I don't want anyone else to go through the avoidable mishaps that I did.