Dr. Daryl Oconnor MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery Melrose Park, IL

• Good
  • Bad

July 28th, 2012
I was diagnosed and treated so efficiently, I am recommending this Dr. and his staff to everyone that asks, as I am a hairdresser and athletic person who talks to everyone. My recommendation is highly honored.

October 14th, 2011
Dr. O'Connor response
Combined severe hip and knee arthritis is often a treatment dilemma. Local anesthetic injections are often used to differentiate which joint is the primary pain generator. When hip injections offer no relief, the focus is often turned to treatment of the knee. When a patient has arthritis primarily confined to the inner part of the knee, with bowlegged deformity, tension is placed on the outer part of the knee, including the IT band. Replacing the inner part of the knee and realigning the knee often relieves tension on the IT band and relieves pain located on the outer part of the knee. Obviously this is not always the case, as most published series of knee surgeries report a roughly 90% success rate. Unfortunately, in the case of the reviewer below, this approach did not relieve the knee pain adequately. This implies that the primary source of the pain is the arthritic hip, which in this case can be effectively treated with a total hip replacement. While no physician can guarantee 100% successful outcomes from treatment, we strive to offer every patient the best chance of improvement with the least invasive, lowest risk treatment. To the IT band reviewer, I wish your original treatment outcome would have been more acceptable to the both of us. I also wish I had the opportunity to follow you and take the next steps when your condition did not improve. I wish you the best with your future treatments.Dr. O

July 12th, 2011
doesn't know IT band relates to hip issues
I've had long-standing knee issues, and recently right hip issues. I ended up with O'Connor because of insurance changes. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Stayed on cortisone injections for a few years, and started getting them for my hip which did no good. I hurt myself doing zumba. Went to him with pain on the outside of my right knee. He was adamant it was because of arthritis on my inner knee and said i needed a partial knee replacement and that would alleviate pain on the outside of my knee. Didn't make sense to me but i was in so much pain I agreed because i THOUGHT he knew what he was talking about. MISTAKE! still had pain in my outer knee and my therapist said it was my IT band and did i have hip issues? I said yes. They didn't come right out and say it, of course, but insinuated the partial knee was unnecessary if it was to alleviate my outer knee pain since that was coming from the hip/IT band. I am now being scheduled for hip replacement - finally. Now maybe i'll be able to get rid of the knee and hip pain. I've been living on pain killers for a year unnecessarily. He should have known that outer knee pain caused after an activity (IT band issue) along with identified hip issues would justify a hip replacement instead of knee replacement, it would have saved me a year of pain and suffering. I would probably be completely recovered by now. Instead, i now have to go get my hip done. He knew my hip was bone on bone already based on xrays!

October 22nd, 2010
horrible scunm bag
he is a horrible dr gave me cortisone shots and crippled me bad!!!!!!!

July 10th, 2010
Dr. O'Connor performed surgery on my right shoulder and I have had excellent results. My recovery was better than expected and I would definitely use him if I would need other orthopedic procedures.

January 12th, 2017