Dr. David Cummings DO Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

June 9th, 2016
Best PCP in Roanoke
Excellent doctor. Best I have come across in Roanoke. No waiting months for an appointment. He is very nice and extremely knowledgeable.

October 2nd, 2015
About dr Cummings and his staff
This doctor was more interested in getting his money and spent maybe 5 minutes with me total each appt after waiting 50 minutes average each time to get in..he then dismissed me bc I was unable to come in for a pill count bc I was working. I relayed to his nurse that due to me working over at my job I was not able to come in but could come in first thing the next morning, but they terminated me as a patient all because of this!overall this doctor was nice but a little too touchy feely...his staffing is absolutely the rudest I have ever dealt with!! Especially the front desk receptionist who answered the phone calls. I would not recommend this doctor office to anyone!

May 21st, 2015
The Best Pcp
I have seen Dr Cummings now for 5 years. he not only takes care of me but also my husband and although my baby is not a patient of his whenever I come to see him for an appointment he always takes the time to talk to me about my child. he goes above and beyond to comfort me and assure me that my youngest is hitting all of her milestonesthe reason this means so much is because my oldest is autistic. most importantly he took time to treat me and explain to me my condition, I had went to several doctors before him. seeing Dr Cummings is almost like seeing a family friend he is that personal as well as his staff Stephanie rose and the pretty blonde girl go above and beyond in their care fot my family and me I recommend him highly.

April 28th, 2012
Excellent doctor and staff
I was referred to Dr. Cummings about four years ago and I have paid that recommendation forward by referring many others to him. Dr. Cummings has been on target with diagnosis and treatments. The times that I was hospitalized he was there around 6AM rubbing my hand and speaking softly to awake me.Each time I visited the office feeling very, very poorly the staff was always sincerely concerned. Whenever I returned for a followup visit after a hospital release (and there has been a few) they genuinely expressed they were pleased that I was out of the hospital and feeling better, Dr. Cummings did so as well.I am afraid of needles and it is very difficult to administer one to me, the dr and staff have always been patient with me and we laugh about it later.I have nothing but good reports about Dr. Cummings and his staff. Keep up the good work and thank you so very much for all your patience, kindness, concern, support, and keeping me as well and healthy as you possibly can.

January 21st, 2012
A doctor with a great smile.
I have seen Dr. Cummings for about four months for weight-loss and have lost 35 lbs. I think he is very out going, has a good sense of humor, and is an all around great guy. He answers all of my questions and always seems to care. His staff is always friendly and polite. You may have to wait 30 or 40 minutes to see him but he is worth wait.

December 13th, 2011

May 25th, 2011
Great bedside manors
Iv'e been going to Dr. Cummings for alittle over a year now, and he is a great Doctor who has great bedside manors and listens to his patients. Explained everything very well to me. So I highly recommend him. Believe me as picky as I am, he is good!!!

May 2nd, 2011
Horrible physician, rude satff
Does not follow up. He does not have any sensativity for his patients. He yells at patients not concerned at all about patients.

April 4th, 2011
Proud to say he is my doctor
This is the first doctor that has ever taken the timem to listen to me and spend time with me. He has been my doctor for over five years now and will remain my doctor as long as he is in practice here. I just love him to pieces! I tell everyone to go to him.

August 3rd, 2010
This dr. is just plain dreadful. We are no longer with him, but when we were, he yelled and screamed at my elderly mother and told her she should not be asking him any questions. What a jerk!

March 4th, 2010
Long waits, not a good doctor
Dr. Cummings has been my PCP for over 2 years, mostly because I've not had the time to search for another (I am in the middle of doing that now... which is how I found this site.) Every single time I have been into that office I have had to wait longer than 40 minutes to be called out of the waiting room. And after you're put into an examination room, you always have to wait another 20+ minutes; sometimes you stay in the exam room waiting even longer than you did the waiting room. Several of my friends have also used Dr. Cummings as their PCP. On comparing stories, we found that he prescribed several of us the same allergy medicine - only for us to each go to the pharmacy and find that insurance didn't cover that medicine, nor did the pharmacy even stock it, because it was so uncommon.This past summer, I was experiencing pain so excruciating that I could not even walk at times and had to crawl around my house. This pain had been building up over the course of 2 years, growing in intensity. When I went to him for help, he said "Let's just wait a while and see if it goes away." I couldn't believe he said that. I told him straight up I wasn't going to wait a while, I'd had it non-stop for 2 years, it wasn't going away. He also orders completely non-essential tests that wind up costing you a boatload - even after insurance. He once ordered a bone scan for me that wound up costing me over $600 after insurance. I later found out that was completely unnecessary and my rheumatologist couldn't even believe he'd ordered it. Had I known the cost, I'd never have agreed to it.One time I could tell I was getting the flu and called the doctor's office asking for tamiflu - I couldn't remember the exact name at the time, but I described what it was and the receptionist just laughed at me and told me there was no medicine that helped with flu (she was quite rude). My Mother is the receptionist at a pediatrics office and she could not believe that the staff there was so uneducated - parents call her office all the time asking for tamiflu. I wound up getting so sick with the flu that I passed out in the bathroom either that night or the next, nearly hitting my head on a sharp corner. Only God saved me from serious injury. I nearly had to be admitted to the hospital because I got so sick.On other occasions I have called for a sick visit, been told to come in at a certain time and then sat there in the lobby for well over an hour as they called patient after patient ahead of me - many of them who came in as much as one hour after I first signed in. I understand that they're working you in but if you're there first - they should get you in before someone who showed up a whole hour later, ESPECIALLY if the receptionist gave you a specific time that they would be able to "work you in". After one of these visits, I just got up and asked for my money back.And one last thing. I'm an attractive girl in my 20s and I feel somewhat uncomfortable around the doctor. He's really nice, never done anything indecent, but he calls me all these pet names when he's seeing me. It's just weird. I can't really explain it, but I always get this weird feeling with him, especially the first time I saw him. And another reviewer is right - whenever he's done he just walks out, leaving you to think he'll be right back. Neither he nor his staff explain things to you about instructions or medications. Because he leaves without your realizing that he's leaving, you don't get the chance to ask him any questions you might have.In a nutshell, don't go to Dr. Cummings.

October 22nd, 2009
Felt like cattle
I was scheduled for a Physical and it was anything,but complete. When he was finished he left and I didn't know that he was finished. His office staff was rude at every junction. When giving me blood test results the nurse practioner was callious and the front desk person refused to fill out my RX paperwork so that my insurance company would cover my RX. "If the doctor filled out every piece of paperwork he wouldn't be able to see patients".