Overall Review

2.8

April 2nd, 2016
I love how Dr. Childers was bold, direct, and doesn't sugar coat anything! Nice job! :)

July 15th, 2015
His aggressive behavior caused bruises on my child's s arms and leg. My child kicked him once so he took my child's shoes off and threw them. That's how he got the bruise on his leg. He also has a my way or the highway attitude. Told us if he doesn't get his way the evaluation was over. My child did try to hit him and he grabbed my child's arms hard enough to cause bruising and he yelled no directly into my child's face.

September 5th, 2013
Don't for a second be put off by the ridiculous negativity in regards to this doctor
I am fortunate I did not read reviews on the Internet, before seeking out Dr. Childers, who was recommended to me by a dept head @ Nemours as being THE man to see. I may have lost my son & a family ally in the process. Reading them now, after our second appt. w/the doctor, I am astonished, nay experience couldn't be further opposite than the negative reviews I have read! I think the reason our society as a whole is failing is because some people need to pull up their proverbial big boy pants! Dr. Childers is amazing, not only working w/my child, but in hands on mentoring of his attending UF students @ clinic. To watch him work was a real pleasure & an educational experience. He made me almost want to go to medical school. We waited nearly a year for an appt. w/him & it was a year well worth the wait. His demeanor is friendly, straight forward & hands on! I think there are too many people in denial about things w/their children & want to be handled w/kids gloves, others are unaccepting. People are too sensitive & many times unaccountable for their own behavior as it relates to contributing to their children's developmental issues, especially on a social level. Wake up people! This is about your children, NOT you! You are there to observe & interact when necessary. I think Dr. Childers & his staff are exceptional. They make you feel @ home! Arm yourself w/first hand knowledge before allowing others personal slander cloud your judgment. You owe it to your child to see this doctor! You can always change doctors, if you feel the need to do so.

May 16th, 2013
Awful, awful, awful... I feel less of a parent for placing my child in his presence. I feel sad that I put my child through his assessment. There are ways to get a diagnosis without being a bully. I understand being tough. I am not of the mindset that life needs to be peaches and roses but when parents are coming in vulnerable and broken, a certain level of compassion goes a long way. We left and traveled and though we may have been given the same diagnosis Childers gave us, we have a strong treatment team in place with a doctor who acts professional and doesnt feel the need to be Napoleon and act like a know it all. Our son is thriving and we have an effective treatment plan in place.

April 23rd, 2012
Misdiagnosed my child. Confirmed the misdiagnosis with three additional psychologists - one of whom he suggested.

February 14th, 2012
Stay AWAY!
I found him very rude and very bossy. I have a 7 yr old son who always has slept in our bed and he told me this was very harmful and that I must put him in his bed, lock our door and let him scream no matter how long he screams. I spoke to a psychologist about this approach and she said this is NOT the way to address this problem. We will never go back!

January 22nd, 2012
Im sure this doctor is fine for some diagnostics. He misdiagnosed our child. We took our child for a second opinion to the doctor Dr. Childers told us was the expert in the country. The second doctor disagreed with Dr. Childers. We are thankful we took the time to get a second opinion. We even went on to get a third opinion. Two doctors disagreed with Childers. In the end, we have the right diagnosis. Our child is thriving. Dr. Childers was not open to hearing that the other physicians disagreed with his findings. Seems like that would be a great opportunity to learn!

September 3rd, 2011
A wonderful full service physician
Dr. Childers has been my families Dr. for 8 years now. He is not only concerned with the patient but, the WHOLE family. As Dr. Childers says the child is not the patient the whole family is and that is why I love him so much for my family!

May 24th, 2011
Short sighted and grim
Some may call him a realist, I believe he his short sighted view of my Autistic son does nothing to help him grow. It seems that his analysis is rooted in pure genetics; therefore there is little that can be done for slower children except to train them to obey. I would not recommend this doctor.

April 11th, 2011
Great doctor with a few old school ways..
Dr. Childers can be 'old school' which isn't a bad thing. Yes, he does get into your personal life, but if you are not fucntioning at your best levels, then you are not advocating for your child at your best. So personal time is important. If you don't like some of the advice he gives you, then take it with a grain of salt, and keep in mind we all have our opinions. I like the fact he's not too quick to diagnose. Your first visit will be all about the child, not the parents, so no questions will be answered until your parent meeting. we have been seeing him for almost 3 yrs now, and have really appreciated his input, while some of it we put to the side as it was not our style and we let him know that he was okay with it. He ahs been a great advocate with the schools and getting my son what he needs..

February 3rd, 2011
Was not pleased with this Dr.
First time we saw him was after a year of waiting. I even called the office and cried a couple times out of pure desperation. This is when my son was 3. The outcome? Well, I felt like he was more concerned with my family history and parenting style than anything else. He spent more time talking to me about our home environment than he did actually evaluating my son. He even compared my son to a dog. We did not get a good diagnosis, we got a catch all that explained nothing. My son is now 7 and his Dr insisted that he be reevaluated. He was somewhat more professional this go round yet I still can't hack how he has side conversations with his students as if you aren't there. This time I was basically told my son was mentally retarded. Does that diagnosis still apply in 2011? I don't care if he was the last Dr on Earth I will never go back and I am seriously sketchy of the "great" reviews he has gotten. He is utterly awful and I think I just might report him. I feel like I could have done his job better than him. I am a reasonable person and ALWAYS give the benefit of a doubt but this guy is nuts.

December 9th, 2010
Loved Dr. Childers
We I received a call from Dr.Childers' office within 2 weeks of turning in my son's info packet. He told me that my son had been moved to the top of the waiting list because a doctor called him and said that my son needed help very soon and he was concerned. When the doc first came in, he came off like an arrogant man and I was not sure I would like him, but after our 3 hour interview, I loved him!! I think it is amazing that he doesn't beat around the bush and I like his very direct personality. I think Dr. Childers has a lot of experience and he knows what he is doing. He even pulled me aside at the end of the interview to comfort me about my son and the emotional roller coaster I am on. This man is a wealth of knowledge so I want to learn everything I can from him.