Dr. David Dunner MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

January 4th, 2015
Refined my diagnosis and finally received medication that treated my condition after 20 years of the wrong medication

August 21st, 2014
Review of Appt
I had a recent experience with Dr. Dunner that was surprisingly disappointing. Referred to him for TMS as my options with medications for PTSD/Bipolar 2 (VERY different than what people think of when they hear 'Bipolar') were running out, I was able to get an appointment with him quickly. His staff was great, empathetic, and quick to respond to my calls. I had pretty high hopes as the treatment has few side effects and everything I read about it was positive. Upon seeing him, he let me know that he would be doing a structured set of questions and at the end would let me provide any other information and ask questions. There was no room for elaboration on my answers during the beginning, so if I was 'experiencing sleep problems' I couldn't say things like 'but it may be due to this new medication I'm trying', etc. It was all 'yes', 'no', or a scale of 1-5. When we got to the part where I could provide more color or information, I had clearly forgotten all the extra pieces I wanted to tell him about my long and frustrating history of dealing with all of this mess. On top of this, he misdiagnosed me initially! I wasn't even there for a diagnoses. Just a consultation on TMS treatment. After his wrong diagnoses I had to inform and redirect him that my psychiatrist with whom I work closely has diagnosed me very differently (and pays attention to me actual symptoms). At that point he said 'well, let's revisit your symptoms'. WHAT? Isn't that why we spent all the time on his 'structured' checklist? He also provided a list of books which I have already bought or found and chose not to buy on Amazon (in lieu of books with higher reviews), and he drew out diagram of what Bipolar 2 looks like in comparison with unipolar depression in the fluxes of mood. I could have drawn the diagram for him. Then he went on to talk about my current medications and tell me that there were some potential interactions, as if my doctor hadn't thoroughly explained them, and as if I was not educated enough to research them myself. I spent $600 for useless advice, am not covered by insurance for any of it, and was told that I'm not a candidate for the procedure. (Although my money would be accepted if I want to experiment). I'm as lost as ever about what my potential next steps would be. If TMS is ever an option for me (or for you) I recommend doing ANYTHING, even traveling out of state, to find someone who doesn't patronize you or your current referring doctor. I was so let down I cried the whole way home.