Dr. David Harter, MD
Neurological Surgeon, Pediatrician, Neurologist
Video profile

Dec 24th, 2014

He has wonderful bedside manner and really takes time to explain the situation.

The Best Doctor for any parent show details The Best Doctor for any parent
by T. Rizzo on Nov 27th, 2013

I haven't had such a great experience with a doctor in decades, and certainly not in new york city. But Dr. Harter took his time, was understanding, clear, and just an incredible professional. I would recommend him to anybody.

Jan 17th, 2012 show details Jan 17th, 2012
Aug 12th, 2013

I posted a comment on Jan 17th, 2012 about a negative experience with Dr. Harter. The situation has since turned around, we sat down and talked about things, he even encouraged us to get a second opinion if we would like. We did and came back to him. Be patient, neurosurgery is a long slow process. I'm sorry for posting a rating so soon. Overall, had a good experience. If you having a problem with the doctor, talk about it.

Horrible show details Horrible
by John on Jun 30th, 2013

I think the doctor must've written his own good reviews. My experience was a nightmare! Horrible staff. Long wait time.

Great person show details Great person
May 12th, 2013

Dr. Harter is awesome! I was really mean to him (didn't want surgery, sorry Doc), but he was really respectful and knew how to joke around with me, a moody teenager. He fixed me and I am so glad that we picked him as my surgeon. This September is going to be my one year post op appointment and I can't wait to see him and tell him how well I am doing!! I would recommend him to anyone I know that needs any type if neurosurgery.

Awesome show details Awesome
May 8th, 2013

Dr. Harter performed my two brain surgeries. He is very kind and personable, he spoke with me rather than asking my mother how i feel. i would definitely recomend him to anyone who needs a neurosurgeoun!

Great Doc show details Great Doc
Apr 20th, 2013

Operated on a spinal condition that I was told by another surgeon was inoperable. It is just short of 2 years and I am doing great!! I jogged a mile at the gym the other day, I was in using a walker with a seat around this time 2 years ago. Dr Harter and I had a rocky road (expected for the most part) but he was great with it. Initial appt took awhile to get but after that was easy to reach him and get appts.

Excellent show details Excellent
by A.L. Morrone on Mar 28th, 2013

Dr. Harter is a highly skilled and talented surgeon. His dedication and compassion is unparalleled. He is friendly, obliging and always make my son feel comfortable. He explains things in a manner that is understandable to both adults AND children. He is truly gifted and I would definately recommend him to anyone.

My favorite show details My favorite
by A. Simon on Mar 11th, 2013

Our son had a tumor of the cerebellum. We were transferred from our local hospital to NYU. Dr. Harter came in on the weekend, discussed everything with us, and our son. He gave us his cell phone and home numbers, and has been available for any questions. The surgery went well, fortunately no other treatment has been needed and he has remained tumor free. Four years later, no tumor and no further problems. Thank you Dr. Harter!

Delivered show details Delivered
Jul 15th, 2012

My daughter was seen by two other surgeons before we met Dr. Harter. He spoke directly to her first - addressed her questions, then ours. We chose him to do her operation for Chiari malformation. Two months later she is doing great. Would recommend him highly.

Mar 24th, 2012

My poor kid needed two more surgeries to correct when he did and then need months of follow up care now he is terrified to go to doctors appointments, they're wondering if he has PTSD. Hoping this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Jan 17th, 2012

I have face numerous problems with this man. He came to see my son once after his operation and an inpatient stay of two weeks. I thought he was on vacation but his secretary said he was not. He also is awful with follow up after surgery, I called the office to find out if my son should get a CT scan because he had a few seizures, he didn't respond even after I called almost every other day. I thought it was just us but another family in the waiting room said the same thing. They were considering switching over to Columbia in NY. Beware he seems excellent during first consultation but don't let it fool you.

Jan 4th, 2012

Dr Harter was great dealing with my 6 year old grandaughter: he put her at ease and kept her as a focal point during the discussion with the adults. He spoke in terms that were easy to understand without being condescending; we did not feel rushed, quite the contrary, he encouraged our questions and participation in the visit.I felt very confident in his level of expertise and recommend him highly. While we waited an hour past our scheduled appointment it was in no way a drawback; just something to be aware of.

A truly gifted person show details A truly gifted person
May 17th, 2010

Dr. Harter has treated my grandson (now 4 yrs old) for a brain tumor for one and a half years. The prognosis is excellent. Truly a remarkable man, a gem, whos has helped my family through this trying time as only a truly gifted - and special - individual (person and physician) can.

Aug 15th, 2009

Dr Harter is exceptional.

Treated my daughter like she was his own show details Treated my daughter like she was his own
by Thomas Sollivan on Aug 28th, 2008

Dr. Harter provided exceptional care and follow for my daughter before, during and after her surgery. Would not hesitate to reccomend him and his staff.