Dr David Harter Is this you?

Have you seen Dr David Harter?

Dr. Harter Saved My Husaband

Posted on September 14th, 2017

I would like to share my experience with patients and family out there. I am forever grateful to Dr. Harter and his team who saved my husband’s life. 07/18: my husband was diagnosed with hydrocephalus caused by congenital colloid cyst in third ventricle. 07/21: He was scheduled for an endoscopic surgery at a reputable hospital in NJ to remove the cyst. In op, Mayfield skull clamp pin penetrated his right temporal skull causing severe epidural hematoma. Surgeon aborted removal and performed craniotomy to evacuate the hematoma. 07/21-07/30: NJ neurosurgeon proposed to use the same pins for a second attempt of removal. I sought for 2nd and 3rd opinions. I was connected to Dr. Harter with a friend’s help. (Thank you Max!!) Dr. Harter was out the country at the time, but reviewed my husband’s MRIs the same day he returned to the states. He spoke to the family in person and kindly accepted my husband as his patient. His assistant Maggie scheduled the transfer efficiently and smoothly. Dr. Harter is the only neurosurgeon I spoke to who provided an option of not using any pins to fix my husband’s traumatized head. He provided endoscopic option to remove the cyst. He also used the same burr hole drilled in the first surgery for the surgery. All of which minimize the invasion and injury to head. 07/31-08/16: successful removal of the colloid cyst. But my husband was confirmed of meningitis hours after the surgery, most likely from his first op, considering the bacteria incubation period. Dr. Harter, intensivist Dr. Aaron Lord, infectious disease Dr. Eddie Louie, and their team provided the utmost care to my husband during this difficult times. Do not get confused about Dr. Harter’s specialty as a pediatric neurosurgeon. He is a trained neurosurgeon with pediatric specialty. He performs on adults all the time. Precisely because of his experience in handling delicate skull of small children, he was able to provide a non-pin solution when my husband’s head could no longer sustain any trauma but in need of surgery. Also because of his experience in performing 1000+ endoscopic surgeries, he provided us with the best outcome with the minimum invasion. My gratitude to Dr. Harter and his team are beyond words. Dr. Harter is knowledgeable, professional, understanding, and personable. His calmness and positivity gave me great strength in the past two months. He is not one of those competent but ill-tempered *ss. He is a kind-hearted good man. We were very very fortunate to be in the best hands.

A standout

Posted on January 12th, 2017

I can't praise Dr. Harter highly enough. I am long recovered from the minimally-invasive surgery (fenestration of an arachnoid cyst) he performed on me 11 months ago, but he has continued to be available and responsive to any of my follow-up questions and concerns. Indeed, he has gone above and beyond the call of duty by taking an interest in my family as well. I'm one of his adult patients and when my husband was diagnosed with a serious illness some months after my own surgery, Dr. Harter not only referred us to another specialist but personally called that colleague on our behalf. I've since had to deal with a range of doctors, hospitals and medical practices, so I speak from experience when I say that his practice is particularly well run. On one occasion, his scheduler called me on her own initiative after noticing that I had an inconveniently-timed MRI. Would I like her to re-schedule the MRI on my behalf so that I didn't have to make two separate trips to the hospital, she asked. Dr. Harter himself is a standout in his prompt response to messages and emails and his generosity with his time. He always made me feel ike a person rather than a patient, and never made me feel as if he couldn't wait to rush off to his next consult. In my world, that makes him exceptional.

World's Best Doctor

Posted on December 13th, 2016

I am utterly thankful and blessed to have had brain surgery completed by Dr. Harter. I was very recently diagnosed with ganglioglioma in the right temperal lobe of the brain. I had a benign brain tumor as well as increased intracranial pressure. Dr. Harter had been completely helpful and has considerably spent a lot of time with my parents and I before my surgery procedures to make certain that we understood the circumstances. He is incredibly kind and never gives you the feeling that he is just your surgeon, but also a friend who is willing to openly hear your opinions. I was completely comfortable around Dr. Harter and his staff - which is incredibly amazing. My surgery had occurred four months ago when I was at the age of 16, hence, this was my first experience going through brain surgery. Dr. Harter had brought me to understand that the surgery would definitely be a success- which it was. I am now recovering and cannot ever thank this man enough for what he has done for me; he saved my life. I highly recommend him to anyone who is in need of a neurosurgeon. Actions definitely speak louder than words; although I hope someone seeks my words as a great example to understand the unique abilities that Dr. Harter has, as well as the extraordinary man that he is.

Best Doctor in the World

Posted on September 16th, 2016

Dr. Harter operated on my son who has hydrocephalus over 20 times. He has always been incredibly caring, down to earth, and easy to talk to. He always tells us that he is just a "Plumber" who works on the brain. Recently my wife got some scary news from an MRI. I contacted Dr. Harter who within 24 hours had her admitted to NYU and had removed a lipoma from her spinal column. He treated us like he would his own family and that is not something that you find that often in a doctor. I highly recommend you seek out Dr. Harter. You won't be disappointed. His staff is top-notch and super accommodating as well

Posted on January 4th, 2016

My son was diagnosed with plagiocephaly and throughout the whole process Dr Harter was not only compassionate but he took as much time as we needed. I would highly recommend him and his staff.

Great doctor

Posted on November 2nd, 2015

I will forever be grateful to Dr Harter - he is an exceptional doctor and a great human being. He treated my baby daughter for craniosynostosis, along with Dr Staffenberg, with whom he regularly works on pediatric craniofacial cases. Dr Harter was brilliantly helpful, spending a lot of time with us before our daughter's surgery, carefully answering all our questions, and making us feel that we were in the best possible hands - I can't tell you what a difference it makes to feel that. Dr Harter worked very well together with Dr Staffenberg as a team (no lack of communication, as with some other multidisciplinary medical teams). The pair of them are simply the best doctors I have ever come across. I note a couple of negative reviews criticising the wait time - I'd point out this is probably because he takes all the time his patients need (he has all the time in the world for you); and anyway, when you're going to see a neurosurgeon, I think there are more important things that waiting a few extra minutes. Probably more important to get a great doctor, and Dr Harter is certainly that.

Thank you, Dr. Harter

Posted on October 10th, 2015

Dr. Harter is amazing. He's a brilliant doctor and a wonderful person. During my pre- and post-op visits, he answered all my questions kindly and thoroughly, and I never felt rushed. He took his time with our discussion and explained everything. I would happily and without hesitation recommend anyone I know to see him.

Posted on September 18th, 2015

He is wonderful he saved my son's life such a wonderful person such a wonderful surgeon such a wonderful staff I will always love him he saved my son from a JPA tumor he's the best

Posted on December 24th, 2014

He has wonderful bedside manner and really takes time to explain the situation.

The Best Doctor for any parent

Posted on November 27th, 2013

I haven't had such a great experience with a doctor in decades, and certainly not in new york city. But Dr. Harter took his time, was understanding, clear, and just an incredible professional. I would recommend him to anybody.

Jan 17th, 2012

Posted on August 12th, 2013

I posted a comment on Jan 17th, 2012 about a negative experience with Dr. Harter. The situation has since turned around, we sat down and talked about things, he even encouraged us to get a second opinion if we would like. We did and came back to him. Be patient, neurosurgery is a long slow process. I'm sorry for posting a rating so soon. Overall, had a good experience. If you having a problem with the doctor, talk about it.

Horrible

Posted on June 30th, 2013

I think the doctor must've written his own good reviews. My experience was a nightmare! Horrible staff. Long wait time.