Psychiatrists

6551 Loisdale Ct
Ste 155
Springfield, VA 22150
703-921-0692
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

• Currently 3.4761904761905 of 4 stars
  • Currently 3.047619047619 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Patient of Dr Wood for 10 years  |  show details
Jul 5th, 2014

I truly missed Dr. Wood as my "dealer". He was a man of few words, in fact I only spent a few minutes in his office at each visit. I was glad he gave me a plentiful supply of drugs each time I went to him, but he always seemed "disconnected" from actually helping me with my issues. That's why I called him my "dealer". I had an appointment with him right after his license was suspended and nobody called me to tell me, nobody was in his office, not even a receptionist. There were always 2 other doctors who shared the office space and both had doors closed but I could hear one of them in there talking. So I walked around, looked behind the receptionists desk to find out anything, something to tell me what happened and saw a list of phone numbers. One was Dr. Woods personal cell. I called it. He answered and I told him we had an appointment and I was standing in a vacant office. He said something about his license being suspended. I asked if he would ever practice again and he said he would after some time and I joked with him to use this time as a vacation and he laughed and agreed, then recommended other doctors to see and I made an appointment with 1 of them and was told my prescription was wrong. I was overprescribed for 2 of the same type of medication and only needed 1 because they did the same thing. I couldn't get my records transferred, there was no Dr. Wood anymore, and apparently no record to transfer! I asked the doctor I was seeing if he knew WHY Dr. Wood wasn't practicing and he said yes he heard about what happened but didn't want to go into it or something like that. I never knew what happened until NOW. The 4th of July weekend 2014. I read the reason his license was suspended and was shocked! I searched his name because my doctor retired July 1, 2014, and I needed to find a new doctor and wanted to get the address of where Dr. Wood practiced to have for my new doctor. I had no idea I would discover the truth about what he did, and then the second shock was he DIED!! I could hardly believe it. My heart was racing. I was in total shock. There is an online memorial page with lots of pictures of him. I never saw him as a "regular person" like a young college guy, a father, a husband, because he was my doctor I guess. It was surreal to look at all the pictures of him younger and then I started to think about my own remembrances of him. He was a tall man, emotionless, quiet, a man of few words, but when he did smile or crack a joke it meant the world to me. It showed he DID have a personality. I never thought he cared much about my diagnosis all those years and probably didn't given the reasons behind his license being suspended, but he did have a warm smile and a funny sense of humor. I will always remember Dr. David Wood. And my condolences to his family for their great loss, especially his daughter Jessica. I never knew he had a daughter and so pretty. RIP DJW. You will be forever missed.

|  For Jessica  |  show details
by Beth Corin-Haley on Mar 3rd, 2014

20 years ago I saw Dr. Wood for about a year. He was astute in diagnosis, always listened to me, and helped me get back on track in life and in health. He was very kind. I was sorry to read of his passing and send my condolences to his daughter and the rest of his family.

by Sonia on Feb 4th, 2014

Hello Jesica I just read your message about your Father. I would love to speak to you if you have a moment. My phone number is 703.819.7110. I hope you receive my message.

|  Sorry to have to tell you.  |  show details
by Jessica Wood on Dec 27th, 2013

I wish I could think of another way to share this information with his patients, but I want as many of you to know that unfortunately my father passed away on September 17th, 2013 after a long battle with cancer. He loved what he did, and he never wanted to retire. I am so glad that I can come here are read what his patients thought of him.

|  The community Needs Dr. Wood  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2011

Psyciatrists, esp. those that treat children and adolescents, are in great demand in Springfield, VA. Their potential liability is high and as a result there just aren't enough of them. It is a disaster for us, and I think for the entire community, that Dr. Woods as been temporarily sanctioned and can not practice. My son can't find another psychiatrist who has an opening to see him in order to prescribe his antidepressants. He is facing having to undergo SSRI withdrawal and the terrible depression and incapacitation that will ensue. Dr. Wood is NEEDED in this community! He is excellent with medication prescribing and fills a huge need in that area. We miss Dr. Wood and are facing a terrible time w/my son due to his license being temporarily suspended. This is really affecting our lives and our family.

|  GREAT  |  show details
Aug 2nd, 2011

Excellent in diagnosing problems withmy daughter -- great communication directly & throu staff with follow up Very professional and understandin

|  Dr. Wood is a psychiatrist, not a therapist.  |  show details
Jul 21st, 2011

His job is to figure out what medications the patient should take based on their diagnosis. If you or your children are under the care of a psychiatrist, they should, without a doubt, also be under the care of a psychologist/counselor/therapist. Further, he's one of the few psycho- pharmacologists in the area that accepted most insurances. He's highly regarded by his peers, which speaks volumes. To the person who claims he mis-diagnosed their son incorrectly. My daughter was diagnosed with three different conditions by three different psychiatrists. This is not uncommon. If you aren't happy with the diagnosis, see another doctor, and keep seeing other doctors until they give you the diagnosis you're looking for. I have no doubt that his license will be reinstated once he has his day in front of the board.

|  I need to know  |  show details
Jul 11th, 2011

Dr. David J Wood is my absolute favorite doctor! He is amazing at what he does! He truly cares about everyone he treats. Every time we went to see him he laughed and joked with us and he showed how much he loves everyone he treats including me and my brother. If anyone has any information AT ALL about his trial/suspension please email me at: annabelle.gebhart@yahoo.com

Jul 5th, 2011

He is a psycho-pharmacologist. He does NOT actually spend time with your child. We brought my son to Dr. Wood when he was about 6 years old thinkng that he suffered from ADD. After about a 10 minute meeting with us and barely talking my son, we left with a prescription in hand. After we brought up concerns to him about my son's behaviors, Dr. Wood, rather than actually talking with my son, just changed his meds. My son's physical appearance at age 12 was that of a 8-9 year old due to the meds Dr. Wood kept prescribing. He had the social skills of that 8-9 year old as well. We decided to enroll him in a social skills class for kids with ADHD with a pyschologist. We, were then informed that my son did not suffer fron ADHD, but from Asperger's. We took him off the meds that Dr. Wood had been "experimenting" with my son. He began to flourish. He put on 40 pounds and grew a foot and a half with in a year. When folks ask us about the transformation, we tell them that we stopped seeing Dr. Wood. Silly us, we thought Dr. Wood had our son's best interest at heart.

Jun 27th, 2011

I've been a patient for 10 years and am surprised by Dr. Wood's suspension. Does anyone know where I can obtain public information relating to the lawsuit and/or suspension of license? Thank you.

|  The greatest Doctor there was  |  show details
Jun 27th, 2011

My daughter who is now 14 has been seeing Dr. Wood since she was 5 or 6 years old. The bond she had with Dr. Wood was so great that we has her parents knew that if we called Dr. Wood was there to help us get her back on the right track. I don't know what we will do with out him.

|  Great Child & Adolescent Doctor  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2011

Dr. Wood has been treating my son for almost five years. I was completely shocked when I called to confirm the appointments and was told his license was suspended. We have had nothing but a positive experience with Dr. Wood and my son really likes him. His knowledge of the current treatments and changes in the field of ADD/ADHD, in the are of pediatrics especially, is exceptional and we have had huge success in his management of our son's care.

|  I really don't care!  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2011

I have been seeing Dr. Wood for 15 years and he has been super helpful in keeping me going! I am the mother of the 29-year-old who attempted suicide at 14. Dr. Wood was the only doctor who could see that she was really only a cutter. Although it's a little mind-blowing, I am not put off by the subject of his lawsuit. He is as human as everybody else. I would gladly return to him if he gets his license back.

|  Dr. Wood is GREAT  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2011

I have been seeing Dr. Wood since my suicide attempt at age 14. Dr. Wood saved my life, I am 29 now. I read all the public information about the lawsuit and I am still thankful to him for everything he helped me with, and I hope he can continue to be my doctor when this is all over.My opinion about Dr. Wood remains unchanged.

|  An Amazing Doctor  |  show details
Jun 16th, 2011

Dr. Wood is an amazing doctor. I have been seeing Dr. Wood for about 16 year and he is the best. Dr. Wood helped me through some very difficult situations. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here today. I trust Dr. Wood with my life and has always been then when I needed him. He has rules and guidelines that patients need to pay attention to when it comes to refilling your medication. Accepting responsibility for your meds is part of your therapy. I have the utmost respect for Dr. Wood and know that he knows what he is doing. He is the best in the mental health field and I even took my children to him. I'm a Momma Bear when it comes to my children, even now and they have moved out and on their own. I will continue to see Dr. Wood once this mistaken law suit has been dismissed. He will always be #1 in my book.

|  A very knowledgeable psychiatrist  |  show details
Jun 7th, 2011

Dr. Wood is excellent at what he does. My son and I have been his patients for many years. It is clear that he does not practice psychotherapy and on his web-site it states that he is a psycho-pharmacologist. This doctor will manage your medication needs but for therapy you must find a separate counselor. However, he is very gentle and has always been respectful and caring.

|  The BEST  |  show details
Jun 3rd, 2011

Dr Wood gave my life back to me. I've seen him for over 10 years and the change in my perspective is dramatic. He stuck with me for several years while we tried to find a combination of medications that would address my major depression. Finally we found the "right" combination and my entire outlook is fresh and bright. No more thoughts of suicide. He keeps well informed about psychiatric medications.

|  He has not  |  show details
Jun 3rd, 2011

I went to the office today after getting a recorded voice message. He apparently has been sued in a lawsuit and has temporarily lost his right to practice until a hearing on the case on June 23. I certainly hope he can practice again. He is one of the only psychiatrists in the area who is willing to diagnose and treat pediatric and adolescent patients w/meds, particularly antidepressants. So many others are afraid of the liability, possibility of suicidal ideation, and being sued. There is a real need for physician's like him. He is very good with meds, esp. for adolescents and kids. My kids have both been going to him for meds since they were 13-14 and they are now approaching (one of them) and in college (the other). He is not the most cheerful dr. but then he is clear that he does not do therapy, he does meds. He is good and really on point w/the meds.

Jun 3rd, 2011

according to his office, recently lost his license (2011), but no details offered

|  Wonderful lChild &Adolescnt Psychiatrist  |  show details
Jun 3rd, 2011

Knowledgeable, keeps up with new meds, good interactions with the teens.

Oct 20th, 2010

I have never felt so betrayed by a medical "professional" in my life. To make this a short story, I have been without my anti-anxiety prescription for over a week because he simply could care less about his patients. I still have yet to talk to him, his staff has been rude, not to mention I do not believe they should be permitted to work in any office setting since they cannot return your calls, remember your pharmacy, your phone number, or even what medicine you are prescribed to. I have called the office multiple times, and even called his "emergency" hotline. All of my attempts have been dismissed, even when I have been in tears while talking to his staff. All I need is a refill, and it seems as though I am asking him for an arm or leg. I am physically in pain, due to the fact I have been without any medication in a week, and I have not been able to function in a normal manner. His "care-less" attitude has seriously disrupted my life in the past week.

|  Would Not Return  |  show details
Jul 6th, 2010

Brought my child for a full eval expecting a 1 hour appt. I was told that wasn't needed because I had also seen him in the past and my patient history counted for much of the visit. I ended up seeing him for about 20 mins. He asked some questions and prescribed meds for my daughter. No diagnosis was clearly given. The office staff was unreponsive when I needed assistance with the meds. Overall- would not recommend.