Orthopaedic Surgeon
22250 Providence Dr
Ste 401
Southfield, MI 48075
248-349-7015
Locations and availability (3)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  A great doctor  |  show details
by Gordon A on Feb 21st, 2014

My experience with Dr. Markel was great. He spent time with me and answered all my questions.

|  HR  |  show details
by Annonymous on Aug 13th, 2013

I've had four knee surgeries by 3 doctors and after having a total knee replacement by Dr. David Markel w/ the Core Institute has been the worse experience in my entire life in my opinion. There was so many things that have gone wrong from staff, hospital and finally the doctor in my opinion. After surgery the doctor is so unconcerned that he takes his dear time to get with the family and loved ones to advise the process of the operation. This doctor has NO BED SIDE MANNER!!!!!! He is so rude and full of himself that he never visits you in the hospital. He had the nurse carry in an IPAD to my hospital bed for follow up. HE NEVER entered my hospital room to see me in person or check on my well being. This doctor/surgeon is not about patients~ he is simply in it for the money in MY OPINION. Dare say you have a question for this surgeon, he will interrupt you and speak in a disrespectful tone about his OWN colleagues at the Core institute. The only reason he got one star for overall rating is because the website requires you to have to place a star on this site. Sadly but in my opinion this doctor/surgeon does not deserve 1 star for overall rating, bedside manner, spends time with me or follow up after visit. If it was possible for a NEGATIVE RATING I would be checking that off instead.

|  Choose a different doctor  |  show details
May 30th, 2013

Wow, this guy is so pompous! He is all about the money!

Mar 25th, 2013

Yes! He is a VERY arrogant doctor. He spent a out 5 minutes exami ing and talking to me. Felt very unimportant and brushed a side. The receptionist here and Pam, are soooo RUDE!!! If you have an emergency they will not squeeze you in quickly. Go somewhere else. They think because they helped a few pro athletes, they are the best around. Never again!

Nov 14th, 2012

If you are looking for a doctor that has a pompus attitude, then this is the one for you. I went to him for help with my knee replacement and help is not what I got. He kept asking me "why can't you walk", "why can't you stand up straight", "why can't you straighten your legs". If I knew the answers to these questions, I wouldn't have bothered going to see him for help. He may be a good surgeon, but I will never know and I would never recommend him to anyone I know. He didn't seem interested in what I had to say and I don't think he was really listening when he seemed to be listening to me. When I went to check out, the woman was on a personal call and she just kept talking. Never looked at me or said a word to me. I went and sat down until she was finished and when I went back to her desk, she never even said sorry for being on the phone.

|  Thank God For Dr. Markel  |  show details
Jun 14th, 2012

I had terrible knee problems and could not straighten my leg. I saw Dr. Markeland set up appt for surgery right away.He took bone fragments out of my leg. Right after surgery I could put weight on my leg and the next day I knew the surgery was a success because I felt better the next day and had more range of motion in my leg then I did before. It was a tricky surgery and he did an amazing job. I am so appreciative and so grateful.

|  Total Hip done in Dec 2010  |  show details
Feb 17th, 2011

Having gone through the surgery 6 years ago,my other side didn't replacement.The surgery,and recovery was much better than last experince. Mobility was higher and pain was greatly less. 15 days I walked in without cane or walker for 1st check up after surgery. Very positive overall experience

by Dr. Irma J. Hamilton on Jun 17th, 2010

I had a hip replacement in 2004 but suffered continuous pain and discomfort until I was referred to Dr. Markel. By then I had gone to 4 different doctors and undergone numerous treatments in addition to an array of various pain medications. I was in pain, walking with a cane and my ability to walk was hampered by a pronounced limp. November 10th, 2009 Dr. Markel performed a hip revision and corrected everything. It was truly a blessing because this is the first time I have been free of pain in 5 years. I have regained my mobility and walking erect. I like his no nonsense straight forward manner and his surgical skill. I highly recommend him.

Feb 25th, 2010

Make sure to get a second opinion. Dr. Markel sells joint replacements as if he is selling a used car.

|  complicated kee problem solved in one surgery  |  show details
by BIG BADKNEE on Dec 19th, 2009

After having a full knee replacement i developed a bloob clot,that lead to a stiff knee.The Dr( none of this done by Dr Markel by the way)then did a manipulation to gain motion,wich resulted in a trip to the ER, 3days in hospital and 4 blood tranfusions.went to PT , NEEDED ANOTHER MANIPULATION WOKE UP WITH FRACTURED FEMUR.Knee was emobilized for 8 weeks, was stuck at 42 degrees.Went from Dr to Drtrying to find solution when I was referred to Dr Markel. Had surgery Oct 8th by Dec 8th range of motion went from 42 degrees to 89 degrees. Therapy predicts I should make it to 105-115 degrees by end of Jan.Dr Markel is highly skilled when it comes to complicated knees. I only wish I would have found him when all I needed was the knee replacement.Do yourself right and go with him for surgery.I saw Drs who would not touch me because of how bad my knee was.