Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hospital For Special Surgery
535 E 70th St
New York, NY 10021
212-774-2924
Locations and availability (3)

|  does not get back to you in a timely matter and you suffer until he does if he gets back to you  |  show details
Jun 30th, 2014

Dr. Mayman is a very good doctor but if you are having surgery and it's just a scope I feel that it is less important to him then his knee and hip replacements. He does not always talk to family members after surgery which I feel is so unprofessional. I would definitely think twice if I needed surgery to have him do it because you need someone who will be there for you throughout the recovery period and for questions you may have. I was told by his office manager that he doesn't call back patients and I think that is not a dedicated doctor to me. You make your choice.

|  bilateral knee replacement  |  show details
by Milly S on Apr 9th, 2014

OA in both knees- healthy except for being obese, and I'm 65. I had at least four "second" opinions- I was very anxious about the operation. I had to wait about three months for an appt. with Dr. Mayman. In that time I researched TKR. Dr. Mayman uses computer assisted , less invasive surgery, unlike the other orthopedic surgeons that I met with - implanting a knee that has the possibility of lasting 30 years. I was impressed with him and his staff and had the operation done about 6 weeks ago. It's not been nearly as bad as anybody suggested. I'm walking around with trepidation- due to ten years of OA. I walk so well that I regularly overdo it and suffer the next day. I feel that Dr. Mayman had everything to do with my fine experience.

|  THR  |  show details
by Scott on Mar 13th, 2014

From the start of the procedure until I arrived back in my house, was less than 48 hours. There was virtually no pain after the procedure. I had a THR and Dr. Mayman performed this with computer assisted and minimally invasive techniques. It is truly amazing to do this with less than a 4” incision. My recovery is going extremely well and I will be back in action much sooner than anticipated. The staff that Dr. Mayman has is top notch and they always get back to me either via email or with a telephone call. I would highly recommend Dr. Mayman to anyone in need of a THR.

|  Not only best doctor, he is a magician  |  show details
by Mehmet on Nov 4th, 2013

Dr. Mayman made THR evaluation process faster and more effective than a dentist appointment. After dealing with the doctors in money only concerned medical businesses where they don't even have a high chair for us to sit. When I found out HSS, I felt blessed. 5 months After my thoracic and my lumbar spine fusion , Dr. Sama told me I am ready for my THR. Dr. Mayman after seeing on the site taken x-ray; scheduled me to get all kind of the most advance imaging just after I was scheduled a surgery on 11/2. Two days after my surgery, I am living HSS without a bandage and any stitches. I walked and do steps and exercise which I could not do 3 days ago. I am on my way to home. HSS is truly operating with the magicians and the angles.

|  Still have my hip  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2013

I had broken my right femoral neck in an accident in physical therapy at another NY hospital and had opted to have it pinned rather than replaced. I had complications in healing and went to see Dr. Mayman. He suggested a replacement because it would be a faster healing time but sensing my reluctance ( after already being on crutches for 3 months) agreed to a plan of meds and P/T. Three years later I'm walking without a limp with my hip intact. His staff, Michael and Heather, are great as well.

|  Great Experience  |  show details
Nov 8th, 2012

Dr. Mayman and his staff exceed my expectations for medical care. They are friendly, quick to answer questions, professional and all around great people. I am soooo glad Dr. Mayman performed my THR, he is top notch .

|  thanx  |  show details
Feb 13th, 2012

I came in with a lot of pain in my knee that made it difficult to walk. He did a partial knee replacement and I was able to start walking unaided in three days. Now, I can walk again. I feel like a reborn person. I compared notes with friends and I am sure I got the best possible care.

|  Outstanding Experience and Results  |  show details
Sep 6th, 2011

I had a second total hip replacement performed by Dr. Mayman in June of 2011. In 2006 my opposite hip was replaced and was performed by one of the best & well known surgeons in Connecticut in 2006. Both hip surgeries went well, but as a comparison, Dr. Mayman and his team really did an outstanding job, giving me the best possible outcome that I particpated in making the best choices with regard to implant product to fit my very active lifestyle. Within weeks of my surgery I was walking and exercising way ahead of my previous hip replacement. I give Dr. Mayman an A in all categories...bottom line he is a wonderful Dr. who cares and is very skilled.

|  Fantastic  |  show details
Jul 30th, 2011

Best doctor at best hospital with best staff. I had 5 years of hip pain before I met Dr. Mayman, now I am on my bike, playing tennis and planning on skiing again this winter, ALL PAIN FREE. Thanks Dr. Mayman

|  TwoPartialKnees  |  show details
by TwoPartial Knees in CT on Aug 26th, 2010

I can't say enough positive things about Mayman and his team. They have been more responsive than any other doctor's office I've encountered. They are courteous, responsive and understand YOUR sense of urgency when problems come up. Both my experiences at HSS were positive, and I would not choose another hospital for joint surgery. Also the low infection rates at HSS speak for themselves. I travel all the way in from CT so I must want to be there!

|  superficial knowledge of hip anatomy and care  |  show details
by EastsideGuy on Jul 25th, 2010

Dr. Mayman decided a total hip replacement was the solution to my hip problem. He ignored evidence that the pain may not actually even be emanating from my hip. If I had listened to him I would have a hip replacement by now. He seems to think that its an appropriate first step for a 38 year-old. Thank goodness I went to another doctor who was able to put me on a pain management plan, recommend alternative treatements and suggest various therapies and other minor surgeries I could try before even considering a hip replacement. Dr. Mayman terrified me by leaping to a conclusion he should never, as a medical professional, done.I am also pretty suspicious of the tremendouly large numbers of positive reviews that Dr. Mayman has been garnering on this site, considering that most doctors average 5-6 reviews in total. I am fairly certain that he and/or his office staff have been posting them up on a monthly basis - you do the math.

|  HIGHLY RECOMMEND  |  show details
May 23rd, 2010

If you want a doctor who cares Dr. Mayman is the one you want to come to. He has the patience of a saint and takes his time with you and does not rush even though other patients are waiting. He gives his undivided attention to you. He will suggest alternatives before surgery and if that doesn't work then he will sit down with you again and discuss the next option to improve your life. He has a wonderful staff especially his office manager Heather. She will go above and beyond to help you which is a great asset to any doctors office.

|  ultra quick to suggest hip replacement  |  show details
by Jen395 on May 14th, 2010

When I was diagnosed with arthritis last year, Dr. Mayman and his PA immediately suggested hip replacements insetad of a more conservative treatment plan ending with a hip replacemet as a last resort. He did not offer any information in the way of lifestyle modification, pain relief, etc. to make the most of the next several years until a surgical option might be more necessary. he also pooh-poohed the option of hip resurfacing, which is a more conservative surgery than hip replacement because thats not his speacialty. And he did not notify me of an impingement (which another doctor found to be the underlying cause of my hip issues). Overall, I was deeply disappointed in Mayman's lack of concern and holistic care for a young patient.

|  just what the doctor ordered  |  show details
by HNB on May 9th, 2010

I had a total knee replacement with Dr. Mayman and could not be more satisfied. He was 4 stars in every catagory with an exceptional bedside manner and excellent communication skills.

|  BEST DOCTOR YOU CAN ASK FOR  |  show details
Apr 3rd, 2010

DR. MAYMAN AND HIS STAFF ESPECIALLY HEATHER ARE FANTASTIC. DR. MAYMAN HAS THE PATIENCE OF A SAINT AND THAT IS RARE TO FIND. I WOULD RECOMMEND HIM TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED WHEN YOU COME TO SEE HIM AND YOU WILL BE GLAD THAT YOU DID.

|  great dr, great staff  |  show details
by james sparacio on Apr 1st, 2010

i just had a hip arthroscopy done by dr mayman yesterday...to early to predict my long term results now, but i just wanted to say that dr mayman, his p.a. brian michaels and the whole entire staff at the office and in the o.r. were an absolute pleasure to be taken care of by. they made me feel very relaxed and comfortable and were extremely precise and professional.

|  Hip heaven  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2010

Dr Mayman and his staff( Brian, Heather and Kathleen) are the best. They listen to you and don't make you feel like you're in an assembly line. I was referred to Dr. Mayman after a problem with a femoral neck fracture repair at another hospital that just refused to heal. He had the patience to deal with me taking a more conservative course of action than he originally wanted but he understood that I just couldn't take another 6 weeks off work. He's caring,supportive, has a wonderful sense of humor and won't do anything that isn't necessary.

|  The whole package  |  show details
Feb 14th, 2010

So many times I have liked the doctor, but not the doctor's staff. Dr. Mayman and his staff are all wonderful. Heather his office manager is the best!

|  Awesome  |  show details
Feb 12th, 2010

Dr. Mayman and his office staff were fantastic. I am now anxiously awaiting my new computer navigated knee!!

|  Nothing but good things to say  |  show details
Jan 27th, 2010

Great experience from first time on the phone with Dr. Mayman's staff until I had recovered from my surgery. Thanks everyone!!

|  Honest Doctor  |  show details
Jan 12th, 2010

I just spent over 30 minutes with Dr. Mayman as he described the advantages and disadvantages of knee replacement surgery. It was refreshing to hear a complete overview. Last guy I saw just said "Your knee is worn out, you need a new one. I can do it in 4 weeks" Dr. Mayman is my guy!!!

|  Worth the trip  |  show details
by Happy hip replacement on Dec 30th, 2009

I came to see Dr. Mayman about my hip from Florida. His combination of using tried and true techniques with the most up to date computer navigated instruments is what sold me. Everyone in his office was fantastic. I'm 3 months out from my hip replacement and back to doing everything with no pain. Thanks Dr. Mayman

|  My awesome knee  |  show details
Dec 10th, 2009

Dr. Mayman uses computers and robotics to make sure that the implants are put in as perfectly as possible every time. I don't understand why others don't do this?? Thanks Dr. Mayman

|  Honest doctor  |  show details
Nov 6th, 2009

Finally a doctor that tells the truth and doesn't just say he can make me better. As consumers we deserve the truth even if it isn't always what we want to hear.

|  Anonymous  |  show details
by Anonymous on Oct 15th, 2009

Dr. Mayman is a great doctor but the only thing which is not good about him is when you leave messages or send emails he does not get back to you which I feel is very unprofessional. I feel if you have questions or concerns they should be addressed by the doctor. I feel that this would make or break someones decision on having any procedures or surgery done by him.

|  Perfect hip  |  show details
Sep 27th, 2009

Dr. Mayman uses computerized guides to make sure that the implants are put in perfectly. Only a small number of doctors use these. Why wouldn't you want to go to a doctor that goes to the extra effort to make your surgery as accurate as possible. Hopefully this will allow my hip to last longer before needing to be redone!!

|  I love my new hip!  |  show details
Aug 24th, 2009

It was great- I have my life back!

|  awesome  |  show details
Aug 4th, 2009

I love my new knee

|  Happy Hip  |  show details
by Happy new hip! on Jun 27th, 2009

Dr. Mayman took the time to help me filter through all of the stuff on the internet. The internet is filled with information, but not necessarily knowledge. He helped me choose the right procedure for ME! I am thrilled with my new hip!!!! Thanks Dr. Mayman

|  Number One In My Books  |  show details
by Very Happy Individual on May 17th, 2009

When I first met with Dr. Mayman I knew I made the right choice in switching to another doctor. His bedside manners are impeccable and spends as much time as you need with him and explains and answers all your questions and concerns. I would recommend him to all.

|  Awesome  |  show details
May 13th, 2009

He saved my life. I was miserable before I met him, now I can walk again.

by Painfree on May 13th, 2009

I went to Dr. Mayman and had a long discussion about standard hip replacement vs. hip resurfacing. We decided on hip resurfacing. I had my surgery 4 weeks ago and already feel great. Thanks Doc!!!!!

May 13th, 2009

super, I would recommend Dr. Mayman to anyone. He replaced my hip 6 months ago and I am back to doing everything. I cycled 50 miles yesterday with no pain!

by Thrilled with my new knee on May 13th, 2009

I went to see Dr. Mayman and I was very apprehensive about having a knee replacement. He spent a lot of time reviewing the procedure with me and giving me realistic expectations. I have had the surgery, I am doing great, and my recovery has been exactly how Dr. Mayman described. His bedside manner and surgical skills are superior!!

|  Happy new hip  |  show details
May 13th, 2009

From the minute I called Dr. Mayman's office until the end of my recovery, everything was perfect. I would recomment Dr. Mayman and his office to anyone.

May 10th, 2009

Fantastic

|  Fantastic Doctor  |  show details
Mar 7th, 2009

Finally a doctor that I could talk to.