Psychiatrist

5824 W Plano Pkwy
Ste 104
Plano, TX 75093
972-818-9355
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

• Currently 2.7209302325581 of 4 stars
  • Currently 2.4883720930233 of 4 stars
  • Currently 2.2093023255814 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Missimo  |  show details
Oct 22nd, 2013

Easy to make appointments, Dr is always on time... but he really doesn't care about any of his patients after a while. Seems nice and helpful at beginning but then stops caring. He's very judgemental... don't go to him with any addiction problems or he'll make you feel like an awful person. Also, he's only concerned about money. My 15 minute appointments are always only 6 minutes long because he shoos me away after that and expects me to pay full price. Dosage for all meds are WAY off... gave me a script for a medicine and the dosage was enough to harm me -- way over recommended dosage for someone my gender and weight. Luckily I'm in the health profession and knew better than to take that. I always left his office feeling very confused about what to do \ take. Doesn't explain anything. Will switch dosages on you without any explanation. When I told him I wanted to get off of my medicine because the side effects were worse than the benefits, he refused to let me do that. He wanted me to stay on at least one (one I didn't even need after coming off of the others)... Left me out in the dark with awful medicine and very little idea of how to help myself. Couldn't stop taking the meds or I'd go through withdrawal, but he refused to lower my dosage so I could taper off. He's very abusive and manipulative and tries to keep you on meds no matter what. Luckily found a new psychiatrist and got away from this crazy person..

|  we do NOT recommend  |  show details
Jun 17th, 2013

All this doctor knows about is meds and money. Wants to prescribe meds and take your money (and get this bonus from the pharmaceutical companies?) ... no counseling, no review of the prior issues. Doesn't care. Would NOT recommend.

May 31st, 2013

Dr. Missimo has made a world of difference in my daughter's well-being. His knowledge and expertise surpasses any that we've experienced in the past. He truly cares about his patients and my child loves him. The staff at his office are professional while maintaining a warm and caring approach. I would definitely recommend Dr. Missimo for your needs!

|  Interesting  |  show details
May 4th, 2013

We thought we would like this guy - he's friendly and seems "cool". A family guy. My daughter is fairly stable, and we're comfortable with the diagnosis, so we needed continued care, as her previous psychiatrist moved. Right away, Missimo wanted to change up meds, even though we had worked hard to find a good combo. When I (mom) questioned this - as in "if it aint broke, don't fix it" - that friendliness turned very sour. And it turned against me in front of my daughter. This is highly unprofessional, and really angered by daughter, as we have been on a very long journey in finding balance for her. Additionally, he would not agree to the previous diagnosis code, which impacted my insurance's coverage of the very expensive appointment. And, the meds he wanted to change, are newer and a bit controversial. I still do not understand why the big push for a med change, when one was not needed. Questionable diagnosing, questionable med guidance, hostility when a patient has a question. Not my idea of a good experience.

Apr 11th, 2013

After looking into many Doctors for my care, I finally decided to make an appt with Dr Missimo. His staff was so caring and friendly. He diagnosed me quickly and I am feeling like a new person... Anyone who is seen at this office will be very impressed...

|  Best psychiatrist I've ever been to, seeing for 8 years  |  show details
Mar 4th, 2013

I have been going to this doctor over 8 years now. Although he is not cheap ($400 initial appointment, $100 each follow up appointment, but I file with my insurance later), he is totally worth it. I came to this doctor in complete shambles and misdiagnosed. He re-evaluated my previous diagnoses and recommended new medication. There have been several times where I have gone to see other psychiatrists due to cost, but I always come back to this doctor and he always has to undo the damage caused by the others. Upon hearing I couldn't afford my appointment upfront, they even offered to set up a payment program for me and give me coupons and savings cards for my medication. This doctor and his staff are extraordinary and I don't know where I would be without them. I have read some reviews on here about patients who feel they do not get enough time or input, however I write down all of my concerns before my appointments on a piece of paper so they can be dealt with efficiently and in a timely manner. This man truly cares about his patients. He will not put you on a medication he feels in inappropriate and is careful with his dosing. They also has appointment-by-phone options which make is so much easier for me when I'm in a time crunch. I love this doctor and the staff.

|  Peace of Mind  |  show details
by Judy H. on Jan 23rd, 2013

Dr. Missimo is a compassionate, and knowledgable doctor. His insight and ability to assess your situation is right on. Had I not moved out of state, I would still be seeking his wise counsel.

Nov 30th, 2012

He was kind . patient and compassionate. He accurately diagnosed my child when 3 other MDs completely over medicated my child. Clearly there was a reason that he was Chief Resident at Harvard.

|  Dr Missimo  |  show details
Sep 7th, 2012

I had been going to Dr. Missimo for approximatley 21/2 yrs. He and his staff could care less about your mental health and well being. They are money collectors. If you go outside what they see appropriate they will close your file and could care less about finding you an alternate person to take care of you and your account. My suggestion is to find a doctor who cares about his patients and their well-being, not just someone who writes prescriptions for a living.

Jul 28th, 2012

Always too much in a hurry to really listen. He thinks he knows everything and has no intuition as to what is really going on.

|  One of the best  |  show details
Jul 26th, 2012

I've known Dr. Missimo for years now and been a patient of his for just as long. He is kind, considerate, and cares about the patient. To all those complaining about wait times and such, you try seeing 40 people a day about their problems and try and be on time. There's a reason he has been voted TOP 1% OF ALL DOCTORS MULTIPLE TIMES. He is simply the best. And on top of that, he does not work for drug companies, that's such a sinister and unjustified statement to make.

|  Amazing Doctor!  |  show details
Jun 14th, 2012

Dr. Missimmo is a warm, caring man who blatantly adores his sons. He takes time to see how things have been going with me sInce our last visit and whether any adjustments are necessary. I had only 1 minor adjustment in dosage when I first started seeing him. The comments I read from others who have posted saying that he seems arrogant are way off. He exudes confidence, not arrogance. I think the most critical attribute a doctor must have is confidence in their field. I know I'm in good hands with Dr. Missimmo and would never consider leaving. Love, love, love him!

Apr 26th, 2012

Love this doctor. Does not want me on too many medications. In fact he encouraged me to see how I feel on less! I'm not sure where these people are coming from who say he over medicates. In fact with me it has been the opposite! He says the less medication the better. I am now only taking one medication and feel wonderful. He does not try and push God on you but wants to make sure that all parts of your life including spiritual are in order. I feel this is for over all life balance. I would highly recommend Dr. Missimo.

Feb 23rd, 2012

completely over medicates - if that is what you are looking for, then go to missimo. I know five former patients of his who had to go to another doctor to help get off all the meds he put their children on.

Nov 26th, 2011

I've been seeing Dr. Missimo for almost 10 years. I've come to know him a bit over the years and I respect him personally & professionally. Every few months we meet and he listens to my updates, manages my meds, and offers helpful advice. He and his staff have always been helpful so I've been happy to stick with him all this time.

Nov 16th, 2011

I do not recommend this doctor.

Jul 2nd, 2011

even when we called to confirm if he would be on time, he was over 1 1/2 hrs late for an appointment and my child did not have time to go back to afternoon classes. even though he said he could come in sometimes after hrs, this doctor has never allowed it. he works for the drug companies. I wouldn't recommend this doctor under any circumstances.

May 16th, 2011

He was wonderful when I first started seeing him. He got me on meds and helped me with a leave of absence from work that was needed. Helped me find a therapist whom I continue to see.Other than that, I was not happy and had to change. He constantly switched me meds, even when things were working. He argued with me over info I read about meds and said I should stay off the internet. He kept pushing God on me and how He could fix my problems. Lastly, I learned he works for drug companies and I really feel that is why he kept changing the meds so often. My new, wonderful doctor found all of this quite scary! Be very careful, he does not like you to ask questions about any prescriptions and I did not feel I was allowed to be a "partner" in my own recovery from depression.He may do great work for teenagers, but not so much for intelligent adults. Do your research and learn the facts.

Feb 17th, 2011

He did a horrible job of diagnosing my child. He also did a poor job of managing her medication. He was unavailable for an after hour crisis. He is very arrogant. We saw significant improvement when we switched to a different doctor who actually listened.

|  Great doctor  |  show details
Feb 11th, 2011

If you are looking for more of a therapist/ psychiatrist than there are others out there but he gets the the heart of the problem and works on it. He is accessible and very warm to his patience and his staff. He just does not put up with B.S.

|  GREAT EXPERIENCE  |  show details
Dec 27th, 2010

I was recommeded by a friend to take my daughter who was struggling in school and day-to-day teenage life to see him. WOW.. what a godsend! He is no-nonsense and constructively direct. He is sharp and diagnosed the issues immediately. More importantly, he established creditability and trust a doctor looks to have with my teenager. Excellent Doctor, highly recommend.

|  Excellent  |  show details
Dec 26th, 2010

I can't thank Dr. MIssimo for his professional care of my son! His diagnosis, compassion, and professional care has help my shape my son's future. My son was your classic low self esteem unmotivated teen. In less than a year, he is two grades higher in his studies and is looking forward to his future. If you are looking for help with real answers to the "teenage issues" , Dr. MIssimo is perfect ! I highly recommend him.

|  Excellent Doctor  |  show details
Dec 21st, 2010

I have seen this doctor for several years. I find him friendly and easy to speak with. If you want help, he is there for you. If you are just looking for a doctor to join your "pity party" and not look at the truth, then he's not for you. If you are serious about dealing with your troubles, he is the right doctor for you.

Aug 20th, 2010

I found this doctor to act as though he thinks he is superior to others and extremely arrogant. I would not recommend him.

Aug 7th, 2010

horrible. will never go back.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Jul 18th, 2010

I do not know where some of these people are coming from. He treated my son for many years and was extremely helpful. I have been seeing him myself for 10 years. In fact I found a doctor closer to my house and switched. He gave me a totally different diagnosis on the first visit and changed up all the meds I was on. I was sick for a month. Went back to Dr. Missimo and got my meds regulated and have been fine since. If you want to try to go off of a medication he is on your side..and will help you do that. He does NOT put up with any crap from people who want to use Mental Illness for an excuse. He flat out told my son to let him know when he wanted to get help and he would help him. My son loves him to this day. Sometimes it hurts to hear the truth...but you need to hear it. He is a no nonsense doctor....and IMO the best around.

Jul 17th, 2010

worst doctor I've ever seen. arrogant and acts superior. just horrible. would never go back.

Apr 17th, 2010

If you think meds are the only answer to complicated problems, this is your doctor! He is the worst example of a professional I have ever encountered and has zero understanding of complicated issues. He speaks for the pharmaseutical industry, i.e he is on their payroll with speaking fees.

Apr 14th, 2010

No time to listen????? Is that not what they are paid to do? In my humble opinion he is rude,uncaring, and darn near unethical in the way he treats those in his office. Sad, sad, person.