Dr. David Mowbray Is this you?

Metastatic Melanoma

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

November 21st, 2015

SLIPSHOD AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH AND SURVIVAL

While Dr. Mowbary seems to be a very nice man with an amicable personality, the examinations he gave to my wife and me were very slipshod. He spent about 3 or 4 minutes examining each of us and left my wife wondering what, if anything was accomplished in the process. My wife was concerned about Dr. Mowbray's failure to use a dermatology light which was common practice by a number of docs we used when we lived in Colorado. Dr. Mowbray found two spots (one above my forehead and the other on my temple) both of which he found had existed one year ago. In each case, he treated each of the spots by freezing them. My wife expressed concern that these same two spots had not disappeared and if fact had grown over the one year period. Her concern was that they may be cancerous and that waiting for another year to determine if the concern real was probably not the best choice. We had planned to visit friends and family in Colorado within 4 weeks of our visit with Dr. Mowbray and decided to make an appointment with the dermatologist we used for years to get a "second opinion" for both us. This decision turned out to be both fortunate and wise. Our Colorado dermatologist gave us both a thorough examination (with a light) and determined that both my spots were cancerous (basal cell on my head and squamous cell at the temple). He numbed both areas and dug out as much of the cancer in each place as he could and took samples for biopsy to confirm his diagnosis. He told me that if the biopsies proved positive, there was a 70% chance that his treatment would preclude their regrowth. In the event they did prove positive and his in-office treatment proved not to stop regrowth, that I would have to Mohs surgery on them. I thought my wife and I were doing the right and smart thing by seeing a dermatologist once a year to make sure we could "get ahead" of any abnormal growth and if one or more were found, get them treated as early as possible. If we would have let Dr. Mowbray's diagnosis stand, it would have meant that the two cancerous growths on my head would have had 3 years time to fester and advance. All of this adds up to Dr. Mowbray's "report card" which for me warrants a solid F. He neither took time, used standard equipment, made the right call and failed to take any action which seemed very evident to his Colorado based counterpart. My advise in your choice to use Dr. Mowbray is to take this information and apply it and take the heed and care it provides to anyone seeking some experience and guidance in electing to use his services.

June 7th, 2015

My wife and I are in good hands with Dr. Mowbray as our dermatologist.

What is the most important service a dermatologist can provide? How about saving you from a dreadful, painful, premature death from melanoma? Dr. Mowbray very likely did that for me. I believe he may just have the best eye for spotting melanoma than any other dermatologist I've been to see. My wife and I have lost two close friends in Atlanta to melanoma. I'm in my 60's and my older brother, when in his 30's, had a melanoma on his arm that had spread to his armpit lymph nodes. Extensive surgery saved him. Therefore, I knew I had to be careful and go for regular skin checks, considering my family history and especially after having had two severe sunburns on my back in my adolescence. Now living in Scottsdale, I recently had taken advantage of a free, visual skin check at a hospital, being seen that day by one of the several, visiting dermatologists. My examiner looked my body over and did not find any suspicious nevus moles. About two weeks thereafter, I saw Dr. Mowbray, whom my primary care doctor recommended. Dr. Mowbray performed his own thorough exam, even using a medical-quality, 10X magnifier with ring light attached to his iPhone so that he could see suspicious moles in magnified detail--something not used by the prior doctor. Dr. Mowbray said he did not like the look of a small, 2 - 3mm, nevus on my right upper back and decided it need to be biopsied. This nevus had been overlooked just two weeks prior at the hospital. His nurse called with the lab report. The biopsy came back as "in situ, stage 0 melanoma"! He had me come back immediately to his office for deep skin surgery. If the biopsy had been staged higher, requiring cutting deeper than skin tissue, Dr. Mowbray said he would have referred me to a cancer surgeon for inpatient surgery. Dr. Mowbray cut out a football-shaped-ellipse area of skin tissue, about two inches by one inch. (The ellipse shape facilitates stitching the wound.) It required two layers of stitches: Internal ones, which were dissolvable, and external ones, which were not. The lab report on the excised tissue came back showing that he had indeed removed sufficient margin to pronounce that melanoma as having been completely removed. Had I trusted that first dermatologist, and perhaps not gone for a skin check for another year or more, I could have been in a world of hurt. Based on the results of that detective work, Dr. Mowbray decided to remove two more, small nevi in my middle back for biopsy. Both came back dysplastic--more warning signs that close monitoring of my skin is required. He told me to come back every four months for a while. And just two weeks ago, he decided another nevi on my upper left back needed checking out as it was showing some signs of having changed. It was dysplastic also. Dr. Mowbray is a very skilled dermatologist whom I trust completely. His detective and surgery skills are top notch. He even removed a seborrheic keratosis from my forehead that did not even leave a mark. His bedside manner is very calm, very gentle and un-rushed. His medical and administrative staff are friendly, courteous and helpful. Please do not put any faith in the few reviews that state otherwise, for you will be doing yourself a disservice not to try him. If you're looking for a dermatologist to treat serious skin conditions, and inspect your body for the potential of the big C, he's your man. He even takes Medicare. My wife and I really appreciate having him as our dermatologist.

June 10th, 2014

I've been seeing Dr Mowbray for about 8 years. He's always been thorough and considerate. He remembers me and listens to me.

June 6th, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr Mowbray for over 15 years and have nothing but positive things to say about him and his staff. There are many specific instances I could mention but to me, one of the most significance, was when he removed a basil cell from my fore head that required 25 stitches to close. I dare you to find a scar left, his needle work is the very best.

May 18th, 2013

one hour and 9 minute wait time

I started writing a review. It was fairly scathing so I stopped.

August 15th, 2012

No privacy- poor staff communication

I visited Dr. Mowbray because I don't have a dermatologist, but had what appeared to be a basal cell cancer on my face (Dr. Mowbray agreed with that assessment). I asked for a check-over for other possible issues. His male assistant told to take off my clothes "except for [my] briefs" and take a seat in what appeared to be a dentist chair. I asked whether I would be given a gown. I was offered a paper sheet to cover me while I waited in the chair, sitting on a chux in my underwear. The assistant left the room. Dr. Mowbray opened the door with me sitting there in my jockey shorts, entered the room with a female assistant, listened to my concern, numbed the area, and took a biopsy. I felt he was very capable to that point. He looked at my front for about five seconds, asked me to turn around and looked for about five seconds at my back, having his female assistant note a few (normal) moles. Dr. Mowbray didn't examine my scalp whatsoever. He informed me that my biopsy results would be available in a week, at which time I should call his office to be told of them. He said I could get dressed and opened the door to leave with me standing there in my underwear. Even the TSA doesn't (usually) do that! I was very uncomfortable with that! Then he mentioned to his assistant that I should return after the results are back, or about two weeks. His assistant loudly announced to the scheduler that I should return in two weeks. I said that I would like to come before that, but they seemed to ignore me, and gave me an appointment for 14 days after that day. I called the next day to see if I couldn't get one closer to the week's time-frame in which the biopsy result would be available. I mentioned that I expected to have surgery to remove the rest of the (presumed) cancer upon my next visit to their office. The lady informed me that I was scheduled for a follow-up on that day, and a surgery appointment would have to be later. I changed the appointment, unsure whether the Dr. ever communicated the reason for my next appointment to any of his staff. He didn't clearly communicate it to me, though he never mentioned a follow-up (only) visit, just a return to have the cancer fully removed after the biopsy result is available. The instructions they provided on a piece of copy paper that was very unevenly cut with scissors, inform me that I am not to let it dry out, and am to keep a bandage on it until my next appointment. I think that might be hard to manage for 15 days in the Phoenix monsoon heat with all of the perspiration that involves. I am not impressed with the office, or his staff. I am, however, confident in his skill as a practitioner.

January 28th, 2012

Very reassuring experience

November 24th, 2011

Seeing Dr. Mowbray was an altogether refreshing experience, especially as compared to the several other dermatologists who have treated me over the years. Dr. Mowbray listens. He speaks with knowledge and understanding. Though he's honest, kind, thoughtful, and sympathetic, he doesn't withhold unpleasant truths, or conceal his own views. Except that I'd like him all to myself, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to others.

July 20th, 2011

ACNE

Dr. Mowbray is a experience doctor he know's what he is doing. I had really bad acne and didn't want to go out now i'm better after six months and i thank him for that. The staff is very friendly and the wait time is from 5-10 minutes I would recommend this doctor to anybody of all ages!

July 18th, 2011

Excellent! I recommend Dr. Mowbray and staff without hesitation.

I have been Dr. Mowbray's patient for 8 years since I moved to Arizona. I have issues with skin cancer, and Dr. Mowbray has been a virtual life-saver for me. Both my wife and I are his patients, and we both really respect and like him. He is a wonderful physician and a truly caring human being. I have nothing but praise for Dr. Mowbray and his staff. The staff is great. I recommend this practice very highly!

July 18th, 2011

Excellent Diagnostician

Dr.Mowbray is an excellent Physician. He is the first Dermatologist that I have been a patient of who gave me a complete physical examination. He was extremely thorough in his reviewing and discussing my complete health history.His knowledge of Internal Medicine was important to me because of my past health problems.He spent sufficient time with me during my office visit.His follow-up by phone and beside manner were excellent.The diagnosis was correct.I would recommend Dr.Mowbray to anyone who is in need of a Dermatologist.

July 17th, 2011

Great Practice

I found the staff and the doctor very understanding and genuine. Being someone that was in the sun a lot when young I've been there several times and had a number of problems corrected. I rarely wait more than a couple of minutes assuming I show up on time. Staff is great.