Dr. David N. Smith, MD, PHD
1225 Jefferson Rd.
Suite 206
Rochester, NY 14623
585-461-5330
Locations and availability (1)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  An Incredible Spirit  |  show details
by Carol T. on Sep 19th, 2014

Never have I been to a doctor more thorough. Dr. Smith treats the entire person. He shows you your tests results, tells you what he sees and maps out a clear and concise plan. He listens and responds. He explores every conceivable avenue to wellness. His compassion is genuine. His depth of knowledge is truly incredible. This is a man you can trust with your life.

|  The most dedicated, patient centered doctor I've ever known  |  show details
Jul 15th, 2014

I went with a family member to Dr. Smith for an eye issue that no other specialist could diagnose. Dr. Smith spent over three hours with us just in the first appointment. He made personal calls to insurance companies and imaging (MRI) establishments in order to get my family member the required tests she needed. The following day (a Saturday, when no doctor works) he met another 3 hours with us going over the tests, explaining everything in detail to us and ultimately coming up with a diagnosis. My family member is now doing very well with this issue and it's all b/c of Dr. Smith. He focuses on getting to the root of the problem, understanding your underlying condition and treating it. This is quite the opposite of how most doctors work these days where they treat the symptom with a prescription and you're lucky to get 15 minutes with a specialist. This man is a wonderful, kind hearted person who deserves your consideration. Any negative information you may see out there is completely false. Why should you listen to me? Because I never leave reviews. In fact this is the first review for a doctor I have ever left.

|  This doctor offers the highest quality of patient care of any doctor I have ever been to.  |  show details
Jul 14th, 2014

His diagnostic skills are remarkable. He is exceptionally thorough. Dr. Smith represents the best example of excellent health care. He listens and is caring. He gleans every bit of information he can on exam, through tests and by listening to the patient. He asks relevant questions and explains in detail his assessment. Rochester NY is fortunate to have him in the community.

|  dr smith  |  show details
Jun 17th, 2014

Dr Smith is a brillant wonderful doctor. Yes the wait to see him can be long but it sure is worth it. When he does see you, he spends a long time caring for your needs and condition(s). I would strongly reccommend him.

by Rosetta Mundt on Mar 17th, 2014

Not only an outstanding Doctor, but an extraordinary human being. Dr. Smith amplifies what it truly means to be a healer. He takes the time to get to know his patients. He always strives to fine the cause and not just treat the symptom. It has been a PRIVILEGE to have him as my doctor.

|  Best I've had  |  show details
Feb 4th, 2014

Dr. Smith was the one doctor out of many I saw that was able to help me. He is very good at figuring out the cause of my condition and treating it properly. I would recommend him to anyone.

|  So so  |  show details
by KC on Jan 8th, 2014

The wait time here is unreal. I had to take entire days off from work because the wait time was at least 6 hours each time I went. I will say Dr. Smith fit me in on a Saturday for my initial appt. and I was in quickly but after that it was terrible. The ladies that work at the desk are pleasant but his other assistants, nurses or whatnot, are not friendly. I had multiple tests done and he eluded to the fact that my symptoms were that of a patient with MS. I waited for over a week to hear from him after my tests thinkingI had MS or a brain tumor and when I finally got a call they only wanted to set up a follow up appt. Nobody had any information that they could release over the phone so I had to wait to see him to hear that it was neither a tumor or MS. When he was talking about my MRI and spinal tap he was not speaking to my face but rather he was dictating to a microphone and a co-worker. I didn't feel like a person. When my sister asked him to relay the information to us in a way we could understand he smirked and made a snide comment. I never felt like my health was his top priority. I'm sure he's quite an intelligent doctor but unfortuantely he doesn't have the time or interest in bedside manner.

|  great dr.  |  show details
Dec 27th, 2013

No wait, easy to get an appointment, very caring. Over an hour spent providing individual attention at each appointment.

|  Mixed Bag  |  show details
by Frustrated Patient on May 13th, 2013

Dr. Smith no longer submits insurance. He is somewhat confused from one visit to the next and has to be prompted during evaluation to remember what I've said from visit to visit even though his notes clearly state symptoms. My case is not easy, but I am no better off than when I began seeing him several visits ago. Several tests have revealed information eluding to a diagnosis, but he still wants to do more tests and try different drugs none of which has helped. Condition has deteriorated in the meantime. Since continuing to pay out of pocket is not an option this leaves one frustrated with dwindling assurance of a resolution to neurological issues. He is a brilliant diagnostician so I've been told, but takes a painstakingly long time to do so at least in my case and Dr. Smith is not very personable while 'thinking'.

|  Dr Smith was so good  |  show details
May 1st, 2013

The reason for the long wait time was because if someone was having a problem he would fit them in the schedule for the same day or early the next morning if it was later in the day. He really cared about his patients. He is one of the best diagnosticians in the area. When other doctors weren't able to find a diagnosis he usually did. I wish Icould still see him.

|  A different model of physician care  |  show details
by Dwight on Mar 28th, 2013

Dr. Smith assisted me in getting rid of a debilitating headache that I had for several years, when no one else was successful. His practice and methods are often unconventional, and you have to wait a long time before being seen, but when he is with you he is totally focussed on your situation and will spend much time with you, sometimes an hour. Dr. Smith is a brilliant man and doctor.

Nov 28th, 2012

Hello, my name is victor he is Great dr (dr david n smith,md,phd) very kind and the staff was also very kind . He knew what he was doing and truly had a passion to help me and get to the bottom of it. thank you for your help.

|  Migraine / Tumor  |  show details
Jul 12th, 2012

Doctor Smith saved my life 6 years ago.I had severe Migraines for years. It was always diagnosed as a "Sinus Headache" until I finally said to my primary, "it is ruining my life"A tumor was found and I was sent to Doctor Pilcher who referred me to Doctor Smith. He was a angel. Worked with me to get the right medications to help headaches, pain, etc. After surgery, he was there when ever I needed him. He would call me at home to check on me, even on the weekends.This man gives me an hour of his time if I need it when I go there, so the 3 hours wait is definately worth it. I have never had anything but a positive experience with him.. I would recommend him to anyone! He is a genious...

Apr 9th, 2012

The wait times are absolutely horrible. He is a very smart doctor, but seems too busy to keep his patients straight, confusing my condition with others at times and not remembering my medications or treatments. The Office Manager is terrible, never returning phone calls or having files and/or prescriptions ready to be picked up. Good luck finding someone to ever answer the phone there, it's ridiculous. I was told if I really needed to talk to someone, I need to come in and not call. So plan on 2 or more hours of your day for even the most basic questions or needs.

|  WASTED EFFORT  |  show details
Apr 2nd, 2012

If he had half the patients as he does, he might be a wonderful doctor. Yet, it is not uncommon to wait all day in the waiting room. He has good intent, but lets his micro-managing of his patients and office staff get in the way of doing good work. Has so much on his mind, is so far behind, and is so close-minded, that he does not put in enough time with his patients in order to listen to them. This tends to him recommending the same things over and over again that did not work previously. If you have an obvious diagnosis, he might work. But, if you need someone to diagnose something out of the ordinary, or to spend time with you, then GO ELSEWHERE !!!

Jan 27th, 2012

Dr. Smith is the most dedicated, caring doctor I have ever met. When you need to see him you get an appt. immediately.He tried many medications for me until we found the perfect one. He alway told me to never give up, there were always options. I am now symptom free and feeling fine, thanks to Dr. Smith

Jan 18th, 2012

Dr. Smith may have some long wait times, but he will also come in nights, weekends, and even holidays if needed. He feels genuinely concerned about me and my disease and is willing to help me in any way possible.

|  He is Brilliant  |  show details
Dec 8th, 2011

Dr. Smith saved my eye sight when I was struck with blindness. He swiftly sent me for multiple tests and an MRI to ultimately determine I had MS. He personally came into the office on the weekend to administer medicine I needed.His expertise in neurology is superior.Although the wait time to see him is lenghty, he is worth the wait.His bedside manner is rather direct and no nonsense. I prefer that. I need facts not hand holding. He is a fantastic doctor.

|  BEWARE!!! HORRIBLE DOCTOR! DANGER!!!  |  show details
Nov 11th, 2011

condescending rude insulting disrespectful incompatance unethical . A SHAM!! RUN THE OTHER WAY!

Jul 7th, 2011

This is the best doctor I have ever seen in my whole life! I was having a serious medical problem that no other doctor could figure out or even take the time to bother with me. He ran many many tests and had me take a medicine that changed my life. Before I took this medicine, it was difficult for me to do basic things in my daily life such as even watching tv. Yes you wait a long time to see him, but it is sooo worth it. I saw him for neurological problems, not for my eyes though. He is AMAZING and such an AMAZING doctor. Someone needs to give this man a raise!!!!!!

|  Worth the wait  |  show details
Jun 10th, 2011

We have had some long waits to see Dr Smith however he is extremely thorough. He care and attention was FAR better then the first Docs assessing our son's epilepsy. Dr Smith is more careful and thoughtful in choosing meds and in explaining to our son what's going on.

|  DR.SMITH IS AGOOD DR.  |  show details
May 24th, 2011

DR.DMITH IS ALEAYS COUTIOUS.AND SPENDS THE TIME THAT I NEED WITH HIMHE IS GOOD ABOUT FINDING PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS.I AM HAPPY TO BE ON TYSABRI I COULD BE MUCH SICKER THAN I AM.

|  An Incredible Doctor  |  show details
May 21st, 2011

Yes, while one almost always is in for a long wait to see Dr. Smith, once with him you have 200% of his attention. He is an exceptional diagnostician and explains his findings in terms that you can understand. He is "with the patient" for the long haul, when needed and is able to connect a patient with other medical people if needed. He is simply an incredible doctor and wonderful man.

|  Genious Technical Geek, But Perhaps Not a Doctor For Patients  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2011

Dr. Smith, based on his academic credentials, is an extremely intelligent man. Based on numerous visits for my young daughter, however, we will not be visiting him again. In my opinion, he is first a technician, granted an extremely intelligent one, a born and bred electrical engineer, who loves his computer technology. He would benefit mankind better if he worked in academia developing computer systems to complete MRI series comparisons, which he does personally and manually now. Once done with his computer-aided and extensive comparisons, he simply turns to you and, without a word, you realize he is DONE! No plan to follow, no diagnosis, no nothing! Granted, this is only my experience and I am sure he has helped many....but not my daughter. In addition, I see many listing 3 hours wait time....you are LUCKY if you only wait 3 hours. We have waited 10 and 12 hours, leave and come back, sleep, read, work...and see him for 5 minutes at nearly midnight on a Friday! I don't know why he would even want to work this way at this point in his career! It is mind-numbing. His patients suffer from potentially devastating neurological diseases, however, they are diseases that, with medication and careful attention, one can lead a long, happy life. NO ONE can lead any kind of life, involving work, school, families, when you must wait an entire day to see a Doctor in his dark office in front of gigantic computer screens like some science fiction scene! Genious yes, Doctor? Not for me.

Apr 7th, 2011

Noone gets to see Dr Smith in less than 3 hours.

Mar 23rd, 2011

I had a scheduled appointment for 11:20 AM. I arrived at 11:10. At 2:20 PM, I was told there were 4 patients ahead of me. At 4:20 PM, I was told there were a few patients ahead of me and it would be at least another hour to hour and 1/2. I left at 4:30 PM and vowed to never go back. He is an excellent physician, but he is rarely available.

|  wtf  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2011

I have been sitting room at Dr. Smiths office for my 3:30 apt. Its now 8:15 and still no doctor. This in not worth the wait.I had better doctors on a recent trip to mexico.

|  undefined  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2011

waited over six hours when i called for an appt. lady was VERY rude. going to find a better place

|  the best of the best  |  show details
by J Morris on Jun 29th, 2010

Dr Smith does not give up. He will continue on until he finds the cause of your symptoms. He exceeds all the other Drs put together that I have seen over the last year and a half trying to get a diagnosis. His reputation preceeds him and therefore the wait is extensive sometimes but so worth it. I am so thankful to have him for a Dr. He is the true meaning of what Drs are supposed to be but sadly not many are anymore. I cannot say enough good about him.

|  Outstanding specialist for difficult cases  |  show details
May 10th, 2010

Dr. Smith's training and skills put him far beyond the abilities of most in his field, so the demand for his services is great. He can diagnose and deliver results at a level far beyond what most practitioners can, and he has made a tremendous difference in my ability to function -- reduced pain, restored me to a much more normal life after almost total disability. This level of service to so many patients requires different organization of his practice -- longer wait times, the use of PA's (both of whom I respect very much) and recording to collect data. This doctor is not a primary care physician, and expectations should be different. But if you want exceptional results for complex neurological issues, and understand that the best requires investment on your part, you will be rewarded.

|  3 hr wait or longer  |  show details
Apr 18th, 2010

I saw this doctor for a period of one year and at times he was helpful. But then he becan to blame all my symptoms on PTS syndrome, which I have no idea what in the world he is talking about. I lupus, sogrens and Antiphospild anto body syndrome. None of this is in my head, Wanted me to go into psyco therapy. My rheuamtologist thinks he is nuts and has stopped referring patients I would say to stay away from this doctor something is not right

by headache in rochester on Jan 19th, 2010

got in for an appointment promptly and Dr SMith and his PA were excellent, but the rest of the office seemed largely disorganized.

|  Too Busy!  |  show details
Jan 19th, 2010

Office waits are extremely long - over 3 hours - and when he does finally see you he doesn't remember why you are there or what tests he ordered!

Jan 8th, 2010

After waiting 3 hours at a follow-up appointment to find out the results of blood work the doctor had ordered, I developed a severe headache. When I told the staff I needed to reschedule and leave, they got me to wait to see the doctor. When he finally came in he seemed to think he was treating me for the headache even after being asked 3 times if he had the results of my blood work. Upon refusing the offer of an IV for the headache pain, I was told by the doctor that if I was refusing he didn't know what else he could do for me. He truly didn't seem to remember why I was there until the young woman assisting him handed him all the papers with my information. He then proceeded to dictate into his notes that the patient refused his help and told the assistant to make sure to write out the instructions for the Rx very simply as it was clear I didn't understand him. He had a very condescending attitude and would NOT listen when I repeatedly told him I was there for results to blood work that HE had ordered.

Nov 19th, 2009

His pA's are rude egotistical and don't listen. They are unable to think beyond their own preconceived ideas of what the issue might be. Leaving me in pain and frightened.The infuion room is staffed by nurses with little skill with a difficult vein. They assign blame to one another for mistakes and have terrible patient rapore.Even if the doctore is brilliant Putting up with the PA's and the pain the infusion nursrs cause as ewell as the disorganized office. (Losing test results, Sending the wrong perscriptions and other unforgivable things. I will never go back!Horrible experience Horrible.

|  Enough is enough  |  show details
Oct 27th, 2009

You always wait over 3 hours to see him. After seeing him for a year I have lost patience with his terrible bedside manner. He diagnosed the cause of 1 of my many symptoms and is treating me for that, he igores the rest, orders tests when I ask him too from research I did myself. And when I ask questions he tends to tell me he doesn't have time for it. Not getting help from a neurologist with your neurological issues is ridiculous. Don't waste your time, he seems to think his patients are wasting his.

|  Doctor David Smith is a genius.  |  show details
by Lane on Jun 2nd, 2009

MD, PhD, MS; the diplomas on his wall are a testimony to his brilliance and his dedication. Within 5 minutes, he told me what no other doctor could, and offered me peace of mind. I was so taken aback I could barely respond adequately. The follow-up was thorough and I was put on a medication that is helping to change my life. Bravo, Doctor Smith. When I grow up, I hope to be as smart as you.

|  Not worth the wait  |  show details
May 13th, 2009

The average time before being seen by this physician is 3 hours. Orders many unnecessary tests and the wait is 10-12 days (plus the 3 hours)for test results. I was told by one of his staff that he books 60 patients a day-totally disrespectful of others time. I'm sure he is extremely bright but I will not go back to him.

Apr 30th, 2009

Works diigently for answers to help you, the best doctor i have ever met.

|  Anonymous Mother of the patient  |  show details
by Dee on Mar 18th, 2009

Dr. Smith has continued to search for a diagnosis for my son when everyone gave up. He has tuned in to symptoms to find a solution to his problem. I get mad waiting, but the wait is worth it when you need help. The wait is torture, sometimes 3 to 4 hours, but Dr. Smith has many patients because of his expertise. I have recommended him to others who need a more experienced doctor to diagnose their medical problem.

Jan 14th, 2009

Waited forever in the room. Ended up calling a friend from out of state and having a 45 minute phone conversation to help pass the time. That happened more than once. The doctor "told" me stuff about my MRI through talking into a hand held recorder. Once "diagnosed", I was told that I had a condition and to research it on the Internet. That was my last appointment.

|  Anonymous  |  show details
Nov 10th, 2008

wow.I have never waited so long in an exam room, and this has happened more than twice.By long,I mean 3 hours!(I have been a patient for over a year)Therefore, I always go alone, since nobody else is available to spend that kind of time. After that wait,it's a challenge to communicate with the Dr since I am pretty angry and upset. Frustrated doesnt even cover it