General Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor

3.0

Aug 17th, 2016

Disorganized, inefficient staff, lack of professionalism, disregard for HIPPA, boundary violations, Etc. Not recommended!

Aug 16th, 2016

Accusatory and condescending. The whole experience was about breaking me down to "admit" things i.e. Frequency of use (he did not believe me that I used drugs only once a month). So I just lied and told him what he wanted to hear. This place will go through the motions of using some archaic recovery methods. The therapist seem to care but unfortunately not well equipped to deal with a lot of the more complex issue. But the most disheartening thing is that the bottom line for them is money. The whole 60-90 day minimum is a reflection (or a red flag) of that. Rarely does anyone need 90 days of residential treatment. But they have this cookie cutter system in order to meet the monetary goal. By the way the amenities are deplorable. I wouldn't recommend this place for anyone.

Can i rate it any lower? show details Can i rate it any lower?
Jun 22nd, 2016

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to this hellhole. Moldy, nasty living quarters in the middle of cracktown. 4 women shoved into a nasty apartment to share one bathroom and 1 refrigerator Zero to grossly incompetent care for the medical end of your physical medical needs. Good luck getting things like your HTN maintenance meds. If you have $$$ your butt will be there for as long as they can suck it out of you. An above reviewer stated that they take in patients in need of detox (like hospital level detox) and leave them to be overseen/cared for my the other participants. That is absolutely true. How is it that people with NO experience in any kind of treatment modalities (some probably coul'dt spell modality let alone define it), no education of any sort relating to addiction, etc., save a history of addiction/alcoholism themselves are running group sessions? I realize that this is rehab and isn't supposed to be a picnic but truth be told, it's a money making operation that could not possibly care less about the clients (most of which are medical professionals) or the damage they are causing to their already fragile selves/careers/family, etc.

May 28th, 2016

Never saw Dr. Myers during my six month stay at HCC. The residents (patients) are lodged in the sleaziest area of Tampa, and the accommodation's are very run down, old and filthy. We had bedbugs during my stay with many of the resident's being bitten and no attention was given to the fact there were bedbugs for several months. I am sure some of the resident's that left during that time ended up carrying bedbugs to their homes. The counselor's have little experience. The staff at the office is full of rude and non professional office staff. The nurses are incompetent, and made many med errors during my stay. And frankly, the med errors could have potentially caused great harm to the patient. No supervision is given to the patient while detoxing. The care is left to fellow residents/patients to keep an eye on the detoxer. This is dangerous. At least one patient was hospitalized due to being over medicated and dehydrated during my stay. While some of the counselor's sincerely do care, the bottom line is this place is a business and the main concern of Dr. Myers is how much money he pockets and very little concern is for the patient/resident. There was no exercise options for residents. Exercise is vitally important for those detoxing. With many other treatment facilities available that offer a lot more for your money, I would definitely not recommend this facility.

May 11th, 2016

Great facility. Compassionate and knowledgeable staff.

May 10th, 2016

Very caring a dedicated staff. I would reccomend this facility to any of my friends and family.

Former patient show details Former patient
by Lanny on Feb 21st, 2016

I went to treatment at HCC a few years ago. They shamelessly market it as specialized in treating attorney$, doctor$, and nurse$ - all who coincidentally have good health in$urance and deep pocket$. The 12 steps and all recovery programs have the same curriculum to all addicts and alkies - nothing special about the fact that the patient is a doctor or a lawyer other than financial wherewithall. We all put our pants on one leg at a time, and addiction and recovery are the same for everyone regardless of their career. The difference is the size of the wallet as far as HCC is concerned. The patient population is a mixture of locals - mostly young druggies - and professionals. Some of the young ones bring drugs in because the residences are off campus, located in a sleazy part of Tampa, and not adequately supervised. There is a lot of drama at HCC because most of the kids aren't ready to get sober. It's very distracting and not conducive to treatment. Forget the fact that the place is a physical dump, its more important to know that other than the contract psychologist - who is very professional - the staff are mostly crude, not well trained, and not component. Dr. Myers is a has-been in this field, and he has found a way to enjoy profit by falsely marketing to and tapping into the bank accounts of professionals combined with HCC's low overhead facilities and staff. Put it this way, I've been sober for 8 years and go to meetings everyday. I wouldn't send someone I love or someone who works for me there.

Lukewarm show details Lukewarm
Feb 12th, 2016

I stayed at HCC for 3 months and found Dr. Myers to be compassionate. I have mixed feelings about the program. It many ways it focuses on old school 12 step treatment modalities that are outdated. The woman's program needs help. They have very young female therapists who I believe really care but need a little more experience. I was really turned off by the gossip among female techs and how much a role they played in treatment team decisions. Females are treated different: no gym (men go every am), no make-up, no TV (men have in apts). I asked about the TV and was told "men need more distractions than girls". Really? Lol. I think the program has potential if they move towards newer addiction treatment modalities. I do love Dr. Myers - he helped me the most but I saw him twice the whole time I was there.

grateful one!! show details grateful one!!
Jun 3rd, 2015

After reading the negative reviews, i find myself kind of angry. The disease of addiction shows itself in these comments. Dr. Myers didnt invite you to come see him. You got yourself to his office. Blaming and criticizing a man who has dedicated his life to helping professionals, non- professionals, yooung people, old people, blondes, brunettes, rich people, poor people? He is there to help you figure out what is wrong so you can do something about your problem. I wonder if you thought for 5 minutes what you would be like if you were sitting in his chair??? Oh, your not. Thats right. Your the one that called him. He didnt call you!!! Why dont you be grateful that there is someone who has a place where you can go to get treatment, an evaluation, whatever that evaluation looks like??? And the 450.00???? Please. And 10,000.00? Thats cheap compared to what other treatment centers cost. That is nothing compared to what you spent to get your license. You want to keep your liccense? i couldnt think of a more knowledgeable dr. Then him when it comes to addiction issues and how to help you keep your licence or life back for that matter. Disease thinking likes to project wrongs you have done onto others and that is what i read in those negative reviews. I have known dr. Myers for many years as a patient and as one of his past employees. I have great respect for his knowledge and dedication to what he has chosen to do with his life. He helps people on a daily basis and he helped me tremendously! ! I am and will be forever grateful for him!! I hope his clinic and his treatment center stay around for a long time because people like you and me need a place like his to go to when they need help!! And thats what he does- HELPS!!!

by Anonymous on May 12th, 2015

Let's me begin by saying it is call Healthcare Connection for a reason because they cater to the Heath care industry. In reality it's just a way for them to get money out of people they think they can take advantage of. I'm not in healthcare but while there could easily see their scheme, they where just taking as much money as they could from these poor emotionally broke down people who had no where else to turn, after soaking up the last of thier money, they sent them home with no hope or help of keeping there career intacked. But I'm here to write a review of my experience while not being in the health care field, as you could probably guess being classed in the beginning of my treatment as not in healthcare they labeled me as a non professional that and was put in a separate group of others. That meant I was with less qualified interns that seemed like they understood or even cared about any problem I may have had. While going through treatment may I say the only person that may have had a clue with addiction was a therapist named Penny, but lost here roots of the meaning of recover and now it is just a job to her. They push toward the A.A or 12th step method and is great but they don't stand behind any 12th step principles and yet I understand it's a business but I think if they would carry the message that they say got them sober b/c most the staff where shall I say clients because I can't say recovery that would imply they have a program. It is sad that while hitting rock bottom you put the last of your money in of there pockets or beg your family to help you one last time b/c these people really don't care what happens to you and really don't if your not a professional and if you should screw up along the way they would just rather read about you in the obituary than possibly preventing your death by actually guiding you in a direction that could help instead they will shun you out of the only network some people will make while clients there. Good luck to anyone who makes this mistake or has already.

This guy is crazy! show details This guy is crazy!
by Mike on May 9th, 2015

Let's just say Dr. Myers has some personal problems. If you decide to go to him you will eventually see what I am talking about. This might not be such a bad thing on its own but he projects these problems onto his patients. I also believe either he or his staff violate patients HIPPA rights. I went to HCC for addiction issues and some things happened to me afterwards which lead me to believe the things I said there were not kept confidential. The staff is pretty understanding and courteous but overall I think his business could be run without him.

A Real Lifesaver show details A Real Lifesaver
by Matthew Rumbel on Nov 11th, 2013

Dr. Myers saved my life twice and it's difficult to put into words what he has done for me and my family. From the very 1st time I met him in 1998 he made me feel better and took the time to tend to me on an individual basis, while his family welcomed me and made me feel at home. I knew immediately that he was someone I could trust to help me put my life back together and I am very grateful to God for the knowledge he gave me through Dr. Myers and his staff. My family will always be indebted to him for his efforts to help both myself and my brother. Thank you Dr. Meyers for all you've done for me.

Good Doctor show details Good Doctor
by David L on Nov 10th, 2013

I had a good experience at HCC. I was not happy about having to stay in inpatient treatment for 4 months nor was I happy about the monetary commitment necessary for this duration of stay. Nevertheless I had a good experience and even ended up working for Dr Myers for some time. I am now happily sober in law school. People can benefit from the program if they buy into it.

by Chris on Nov 7th, 2013

This is a place for addicts to stay high not to get sober! Clients running around drunk and beer bottles all over the parking lot. I was here for a short time and experience a mockery to recovery. This isn't a place to send a loved one if you really love them. I would be ashamed to say anything good about dr. Myers program. He should really take look at the work that is being done and do a complete over haul. Really this place is a mess and full of mold. Living quarters are sub standard and invested with mold. I'm glad I left when I did or I might not still be clean and sober. Use careful consideration before enrolling.

IT'S DRUG REHAB NOT VACATION show details IT'S DRUG REHAB NOT VACATION
by Grateful on Jun 22nd, 2013

Reading the reviews about dr Meyer and HCC really upset me. I am not an addict nor receive treatment at this facility but my mother is a nurse who was inpatient here. People forget the fact that addiction is addiction, whether you are a doctor, nurse, lawyer, IGNORANT...it's all the same. You wanted high class rooms? Five star meals? Perhaps if you hadn't spent all your money on drugs, you could afford that. HCC saved my mothers life. It was heartbreaking at first to leave her there especially since we lived hours away from the facility, mind you we live in a five star upscale city where there were plenty of options closer for rehab. But it wasn't about that, it was about getting real help, realizing you've hit rock bottom and eating a piece of humble pie. The counseled were amazing. She is a new person. I'm am forever grateful. And to those who feel like they deserve celebrity rehab status....WAKE UP!! YOU ARE A DRUGGIE, and you addiction should not allow you to receive special privileges when you've ruined your life and the life of others. If this offends you, you aren't serious about being in recovery. Hope this helps.

Thank God for HCC show details Thank God for HCC
Apr 20th, 2011

Saying HCC saved my life would be an oversimplification. I was a complete mess when I first came to HCC. I was young and didn't really know how to deal with my addiction. I was told news I really didn't want to hear and at first I sounded a lot like LPN and the other negative review. After being there for a little time I realized I was the problem and I decided to get involved with my recovery and gave it some effort. I thank HCC's staff for "giving it to me straight" and helping set me on the path for success. I was a young adult when I went to HCC and have since completed my Undergrad and am now a Grad student. I can not imagine what my life would be like had I not been introduced to the HCC family. At first I was disheartened when I read these reviews, but this doc runs a treatment center. He is often giving people news they don't want to hear. Probably the same news their families have been giving them for years, so it's not a surprise there are people that are angry. Addiction is an ugly thing. If you're not serious about addiction and you feel like going to a day spa than don't go to HCC. If you've had enough and are ready to gain control of your life again then I highly suggest giving them a shot. They save lives.

Dr. Myers saved my life...twice! show details Dr. Myers saved my life...twice!
by Matthew Rumbel on Nov 2nd, 2008

Dr. Myers is kind, compassionate, patient and more knowledgeable about addictions and recovery than any man I've met. He has saved me from myself twice, and I owe him my life. I know I can never repay him, but if he can help me, he can help anyone. I couldn't be more pleased with my experience with him and only wished more doctors cared as much as he does.

With Much Care show details With Much Care
by Marty G. on Sep 11th, 2008

Doctor Myers offers a good ear, and an understanding heart for those dealing with addiction and chronic pain. He does not judge and can understand the suffering of the patient.