David S Irwin MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3
  • 4 reviews

August 1st, 2014
STAY AWAY
While reading the review titled "WARNING, PLEASE READ" I truly felt as if I had written the review! I've been seeing Dr. Irwin for many years now & have no diagnosis. He does EXACTLY what's described in the other review...he sits, leaned back, legs outstretched, arms folded & EYES SHUT! And I'm paying 100% out of pocket for this!!!! And don't get me started on his main office woman! She has way too much power, she's rude as can be & I need anti-anxiety meds just knowing I have to talk to her. I'm serious when I say I get overwhelmed w/anxiety at the mere thought of having to deal w/her! She's awful & he won't do anything about it. I also do not want to try a new shrink because I'm doubtful I'd be given the amount of benzos I'm currently on. Which reminds me, the office witch (who does look just like a witch) seems to hold the key to your rx refills, which, in my opinion is not even close to how things should work. I've finally had enough & will be testing out a couple new docs soon. I just cannot stand being treated this way even if it means giving up some of my anti-anxiety meds. Another thing that's not really a good sign...He'll basically go wherever you lead him in terms of what medications you want to try. If you're not "nuts" already, you will be after going here! Do yourself a HUGE favor & find another doc. He hasn't been a "Top Doctor" in YEARS! STAY AWAY...FAR AWAY!!!!!!

September 25th, 2012
EXCELLENT! Able to diagnose and is up to date with medication.
Dr. David Irwin is a down to earth physician (psychiatrist)who listens intently and does give feed back that for the most part is pertinent and helpful. I have seen other psychiatrists and the 16 minute treatment sessions with so little time and then being rushed out the door does not happen at this office. In a follow-up appointment you are given a few more minutes and pay a little extra but it is well worth it. I have seen others and you get what you pay for. This doctor cares, is aware of new treatments and has helped me over many years. I am glad that he is on my mental health team!

September 3rd, 2012
**WARNING, PLEASE READ**
The long & short of it is, find someone else! I've been a patient for a long time, so I have a lot of insight on this doctor. If you want my detailed reasons as to why shouldn't see Dr. Irwin then read on.I have been a long term patient of Dr. Irwin so PLEASE trust me when I say that if you're looking for more than a person who will write a prescription, find someone else! Yes, Dr. Irwin has great credentials & was rated 1 of the top Dr's in Washingtonian Magazine (YEARS AGO!), but after 12 yrs of seeing him I have never be given a diagnosis. Maybe he has diagnosed me but if so he's failed to tell me what it is. Lately, he spends the $160 20 minute sessions leaned back in his chair, arms comfortably crossed, with his eyes shut! I'm not even sure he's awake. All this is after waiting at least 20-30 mins because he is forever running late! As if all that wasn't bad enough, his main receptionist/secretary is a totally unbearable witch. She is rude, curt, not at all helpful & seems to enjoy talking down to you! On several occasions she has been outright mean & despite having told Dr. Irwin about it, he's done nothing, I've never even received an apology. The only reason I am still a patient there is due to the large quantity of anti-anxiety (benzodiazepines) meds he prescribes me & I'm unsure another doctor would give me the same amount. I know that may not sound like a good reason to stay as a patient of his but switching doctors is scary enough without worrying whether or not you'll continue to receive the medicince you've been getting. My advice...find someone else so you don't end up in my position! He's no good!!!

May 27th, 2009
Terrific doc
Compassionate, available, returns calls, listens, intuitive, just plain nice.