Dr. David Lu MD Patient Reviews

3.9

• Good
  • Bad

April 25th, 2016
Dr. Lu is an exception physician and surgeon. He is one of the best doctors I have ever had. I've been with him for over 25 years. He delivered my daughter, who is now 25, and he has operated on me three times, each time with amazing results. I live about 45 minutes away from his office--without traffic---and I drive that far to see him even though there are literally hundreds of gynecologists in Los Angeles. That's how amazing he is.

March 30th, 2013
The best doctor I've ever had!
This doctor met ALL my expectations and then some. My entire pregnancy was a special case in that I myself have hydrocephalus. I delivered two babies with Dr. Lu. He took excellent care of me and followed up with my past neurosurgeons and did his homework throughout the entire pregnancy. He made me feel that I was in control and did not push me to do anything that I was not comfortable with. His staff in the office is EXCELLENT and very professional as well. I do not have anything bad to say about Dr. Lu. I now have 3 babies and a fourth on the way. I only wish I could still have Dr. Lu, but my insurance has changed. Wonderful doctor and staff all around!!

August 23rd, 2012
I will not return - after 1 visit....
Money, money, money is all these people care about! I have Anthem Blue Cross AIM...a program for middle income women that I pay for and they treated me as if I was second rate. I could hear the office manager complaining about the process to her coworker. I scheduled the appt 2 weeks ago and provided them with number to get all of my benefit info-even did a 3 way conference call with them and when I went to my first appt I waited 45 minutes for them to get their act together! They did tell me I was the first person from the AIM program that was their patient, however I practically did their job for them and I still waited way too long to see the doctor. On top of that, when the doctor came in, he really didn't introduce us and I didnt get a sense of caring from him. I know he does volunteer at a center and give back to the community but it's probably because he gets a tax write off or something because the only feeling I got from them was Money!Money! Money! Basically, the only thing done at my appt was the ultrasound...nothing else. I would not recommend this office. It's sad that I am paying for my insurance and they treat welfare recipients better...again, probably a tax write off. In addition, I was feeling sick from my prenatal and asked him about a pill with lower iron...and i left with a rx for iron?? I dont get it. He seemed rushed to see more patients to make some more $$$. Please read reviews from others on other sites...not good.

August 17th, 2012
Terrible Follow Through
To be fair, Dr. Lu is an excellent surgeon. Unfortunately, he presents as frazzled, unfocused, overwhelmed and inattentive. He has consistently talked over my questions, made poor eye contact, and rushed me during appointments (and I arrive with my questions prepared in advance). Recently, I discovered I was pregnant but with low HCG levels. Understandably, I was scared by this news so I had another blood draw and asked Dr. Lu to please call me that day or the next day when the results came in. He agreed knowing that I was scared. The following day - still no callback. So, I called and was told by the receptionist what my new levels were. I specifically said that I needed to talk to the Dr. because I can't interpret the results. The receptionist says, "I'll ask the Dr. your questions and I will call you back." Three hours later, I try them again and get their answering machine indicating they have left for the day. And it's a Friday. If you need basic routine care and never want to talk to the Dr. or receive appropriate follow up care, pick Dr. Lu. Otherwise, find a Dr. that isn't so overwhelmed and you won't end up feeling like just another number.

August 8th, 2012
Shouldn't be a doctor
I was pregnant with twins and he assured me that if any complications arose, he was right across the street from Little Co of Mary hospital so he could be there immediately. At 34 weeks, I started bleeding a lot and rushed to emergency. Since if was 9 pm, he did not come. Just talked to staff. I was sent home around 1am. Started bleeding again at 9am. Rushed back. Dr Lu did not finally come til the babies were born at 4:30pm. I lost my daughter to a placenta abruption and my son made it. They say that if he had taken them out earlier both my kids would be here today, Thanx Dr. Lu!

July 11th, 2012
I love dr Lu
I have nothing negative to say at all about this dr. He is the best in his field. He has delivered 4 of my 5 sons via c section. I was so mad that I couldn't get my last son delivered by him because his office no longer excepted my insurance . But needless to say this man is on point he treats his patients excellent. The wait in his office is maybe 10 minutes if that. He comes right in and answers all of your questions and doesn't rush at all. He made me feel so comfortable. I meet dr Lu when I was 21 yrs old at a pregnancy help center in Torrance. From that day forward I knew he was the dr for me. Everyday while I was in the hospital recovering from my c section he came every morning to check in. He makes you feel like you matter.

January 7th, 2012
Very poor management
This doctor is the worst doctor I have ever encountered in my entire life , seriously. He is not my but when I went to e.r. At Torrance memorial hospital for pre term labor, I also complained of left lower abdominal pain and has history of uti and finished antibiotic therapy more than a week ago.urine sample was taken but he ordered not to send for testing since he thinks it's unreliable. According to nurse he probably was not impressed with the antibiotic. INSTEAD, without a confirmed diagnoses if uti, he ordered an antibiotic shot for me, single dose and a terbutaline to stop labor without even assessing if the medication was effective wether or not I still have contraction. They sent me home. Went to my obgyn 4 days after and she think treatment is weird giving me a single dose of antibiotic! I thought the same thing! It was useless! He doesn't know what he's doing , his management is very poor, and he is not suppose to be in this hospital considering his poor performance!

September 16th, 2011
I change to him, my friend also change to him
I had another Chinese doctor before, but Dr. Lu is much better. I had enough with my previous doctor so I decided to change. Dr. Lu was recommended by one of my Chinese friend and one colleague's wife (she and her husband are both not Chinese and American. She is recommended by her colleague and changed to Dr. Lu when she has 6-month pregnancy). After I see him for the first sight, he is the one. He is energetic. I think that's because he has Wed and Fri afternoons off so that he is not as tired as other doctor. I think it's very important that doctor has good sleep and rest so that he has a clear mind and enough energy to tell/explain what he should do. My previous doctor doesn't has any hour off except emergency, so whenever I see him, he looks super tired and ask me once and once again: do you have questions? I felt being pushed. Additionaly, if you don't prepare some questions beforehand, you can't get much out of your visit. I think the doctor should explain to patient like what Dr. Lu did, otherwise we ourselves can be the doctor and why do we need a doctor, right? With the comparison with previous doctor, I much more appreciate how nice and how professional Dr. Lu is. His c-section rate is low. My husbabd like this especially. Also the other doctor referred me to a specialist to do 12 week check which cost me over $500 and is not required and not necessary ( I am under 35). Dr. Lu said he would not recommend this check unless he sees something is wrong. and even if he think referring to specialist is necessary, he will warn the patient about the cost. I think this is what a responsible doctor should do: not only take care of you, but also remind/warn you to avoid unnecessary losses.

September 28th, 2010
very good dr.
yes, he had me induced the first time around, but I still went back to him with my second baby, because he always made me feel very comfortable and at ease, he is very good at explaining everything. I would definately use him again if I were having another baby. for my reg. checkups I'm afraid i live a little too far.

August 6th, 2017