Anesthesiologist (pain control), Pain Management Specialist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  THE BEST DOCTOR THAT I HAVE SEEN IN MY 53 YRS OF LIFE!  |  show details
by DEBRA D. on Sep 18th, 2013

I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF DOCTORS IN MY LIFE, MOST ALL OF WHICH AFTER WERE AFTER MY ON-THE-JOB AUTO ACCIDENT OVER A DECADE AGO. THAT ACCIDENT LEFT ME DISABLE FOR LIFE, UNABLE TO EVER WORK AGAIN AT ANY OCCUPATION, & BEDRIDDEN WITHOUT PAIN MANAGEMENT MEDICATION. IT TOOK 8 YRS & OVER 26 HEARINGS/TRIAL DATES FOR ME TO FINALLY GET A DECISION IN MY WORK COMP CASE IN CALIF, DESPITE MY CASE BEING VERY CLEAR CUT (OFFICE MGR SAW CAR ACCIDENT, MRI OF MY SPINE WAS SEVERE ON 4 LEVELS, ETC. --IN FACT AT THE TIME OF THE ACC I WAS ON MY WAY TO TAKE A DEPOSITION AS PART OF MY LEGAL JOB!). I HAD TO BATTLE THE WK COMP INSURER IN STATE COURT, & IN FED COURT THE LIFE INS CO THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO WAIVE MY HIGH PREMIUMS AS I WAS DISABLED FROM WORKING AT ANY JOB. IT HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE!!! WHEN THE WK COMP INSURER INFORMED ME IN DEC 2012 THAT UNDER THE NEW LAW, I HAD TO CHANGE THE PAIN MGMT DR THAT I HAD BEEN SEEING FOR THE LAST 5 YRS, I WAS VERY UPSET, BUT HAD NO CHOICE. I DID MY RESEARCH ABOUT THE DOCTORS ON THE MPN LIST, & FINALLY GOT AUTHORIZATION TO GO TO DR. SMOLINS (AFTER I WALKED OUT OF ANOTHER PAIN MGMT DR'S OFFICE SWEARING TO NEVER GO BACK THERE AS THAT OTHER NEW DOCTOR TREATED ME LIKE I HAD NO SAY IN MY PAIN MGMT TREATMENT). DR. SMOLINS TREATED ME WITH RESPECT, KINDNESS, & HE REALLY "LISTENED" TO MY NEEDS. I CHOSE HIM AFTER DOING A LOT OF RESEARCH & SEEING THAT HE HAD THE HIGHEST RANKING AMONG PATIENTS AND THE HIGHEST CREDENTIALS AND AWARDS IN THE FIELD OF PAIN MGMT, & WAS BOARD CERTIFIED,--AND THIS WAS FROM AT LEAST 8 WEBSITES WHERE THE PUBLIC COULD RATE DOCTORS. NEXT YEAR, I AM THINKING OF MOVING OUT OF STATE TO BE NEAR MY DAUGHTER, BUT I WOULD BE HEART BROKEN (TRULY) IF I HAVE TO LEAVE THE CARE OF DR. SMOLINS. I MUST SAY, THAT IN ALL THE DIFFICULTIES THAT I HAVE HAD TO GO THROUGH IN THE WORK COMP SYSTEM IN CA SINCE I HAD THE AUTO ACC THAT ENDED MY LAW CAREER, DR. SMOLINS HAS BEEN THE BEST EXPERIENCE. HE WILL STAND UP TO THE INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR HIS PATIENTS THAT TRULY ARE INJURED & IN NEED OF PAIN MGMT. HE DID NOT GIVE ME ALL THE MEDICATIONS THAT I WANTED, BUT PRESCRIBED THE MEDICATIONS THAT I NEEDED. NOW, WHEN "THE POLITICS" IN CALIF IS TO TRY TO TAKE ALL "OPIOD" MEDICATIONS AWAY FROM EVEN THOSE PATIENTS (LIKE ME) WHO ARE SERIOUSLY INJURED & NEED THEM, & BEDRIDDEN WITHOUT THEM, YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD ATTORNEY AND A GOOD DOCTOR WHO WILL FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS. [SIDE NOTE: WE MUST UNITE TO STOP THE WORK COMP SYSTEM/ LAWS IN CALIF FROM ALLOWING WK COMP INSURERS TO STOP PAYING FOR OPIOD MEDICATIONS FOR SERIOUSLY INJURED WORKERS IN NEED OF THEM. THE WK COMP INSURERS WILL END UP PAYING "FAR MORE" FOR AMBULANCES, HOME CARE, ETC., WHEN SERIOUSLY INJURED WORKERS WITHOUT NEEDED PAIN MEDS, CANNOT CARE FOR THEMSELVES. WHEN I PRACTICED WK COMP LAW (BEFORE MY ACCIDENT) THE LAW WAS TOO LENIENT (I USED TO HAVE TO SET UP BUSINESSES IN MEXICO FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS WHO HAD FRAUDULENT CLAIMS FOR ALLEGED INJURIES FROM WORKING THEIR FIRST DAY ON THE JOB. NOW, "THE LEGISLATIVE PENDULUM" HAS SWUNG TO THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE SIDE, WHERE LEGAL CITIZENS WHO ARE SERIOUSLY INJURED WORKERS WITH CLEAR EVIDENCE (LIKE MRIs) CANNOT EVEN GET THE WK COMP INSURERS TO PAY FOR THE NECESSARY MEDICATIONS AND APPOINTMENTS WITH PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTORS. PLEASE WRITE YOUR LEGISLATORS ABOUT THIS ISSUE!!!!]. AGAIN, DR. SMOLINS, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TRUE PROFESSIONALISM, AND WONDERFUL CARE! YOU ARE AN ANGEL IN MY BOOK. FOR ALL YOU TRULY INJURED WORKERS OUT THERE...CARRY ON THE FIGHT. I KNOW IT IS NOT EASY, BUT DO NOT GIVE UP. WRITE YOUR SENATORS, CONGRESSMEN/WOMEN, YOUR GOVENOR, ETC. JUST DO NOT GIVE UP. I TRIED TO GIVE UP SEVERAL TIMES, BUT AM GRATEFUL TO GOD THAT HE KEPT ME ALIVE, SO THAT I CAN SEE MY DAUGHTER GET MARRIED NEXT SPRING. WHEN YOU ARE DEPRESSED & IN SEVERE PAIN, FIGHTING INSURANCE COMPANIES, AS WELL AS BAD JUDGES, IT IS EASY TO JUST WANT TO GIVE UP. BUT DO NOT DO IT! WE HAVE TO UNITE & CHANGE THE SYSTEM. PEACE & LOVE TO YOU ALL.

|  show details
Feb 3rd, 2012

Dr. Smolins has been a God-Send to me. He has worked with through layers of issues that cause my pain. He always reassures me that I'm doing the right things and that there is hope.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
by Kathry, Atwater, Ca. on Jan 3rd, 2011

Dr. Smolins was great to work with. After a hip surgery that caused nerve damage, he carefully evaluated me and decided spinal neuristimulation would probobly benefit me. The trail was great I didn'y want the stimulator to come out. It was the first three pain free days I had had in over 7 months.The permanent implant was placed DEc. 23,2010, and I had a severe spinal headache. Ended up in the ER where I live and they wouldn't give me a blood patch even after talking with him. He made room in his schedule to get me in and I'm happy to say I'm pain free!He was very friendly and personable and accessable even over CHristmas, That makes him a top Doc on my list of who to see when you have pain issues that need attention!Thanks!

|  The best!  |  show details
Jan 27th, 2009

Dr. Smolins is an excellent doctor and you know he cares.