Dr. David Smotrich MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

August 20th, 2014
As a 5x gestation surrogate, I've "been around the block" a few times in the IVF community. I have worked with several other RE's, and I can say without hesitation that Dr. Smotrich and his office staff are top-notch, all the way. My last three pregnancies, all of which resulted in singleton pregnancy (and subsequent births) on the first cycle, are a result of working with him. Over the close to four-year period in which I have been his patient, I have always been impressed with the quality of care and respect I have received as a surrogate by everyone in his office. If I were to seek a 6th surrogate journey (which I will *not* be doing!), I would certainly be more inclined to match with intended parents who were working with Dr. Smotrich and La Jolla IVF.

June 18th, 2012
Pass on this center
First the front office has nothing but gangster looking tattoo girls. Lots of swearing going on every time we were there. The Nurse Chris is very unprofessional. She said all kinds of off color remarks to my partner and me. We used a surrogate but she tested positive for chlamydia and chris said it was lab error and we will continue with her. This alarmed us greatly. Are we just suppose to trust this coming from chris who is just a nurse? When we asked more questions chris became annoyed and said this happens all the time. So they do transfers of stds all the time? We are planning to contact the FDA and see what they say. I would advise not to go to La Jolla IVF. They do anything just for money.

April 1st, 2012
Overstimulates-Look further
I've been though 6 cycles with 5 different doctors at 5 different clinics. On my part, all were successful accept this one. This one is bad. Why? Smotrich used too much drugs with me, compared to the doses I had only months prior. I even offered to have records from previous cycles sent to him -he was unconcerned. After speaking with other fertility doctors, we think he harvested the eggs too early. Tens of thousands of dollars were lost. He called me and said the sperm was bad, then 10 min. later called the recipient and told him it was my eggs (I'm 26 years old). He didn't know we were standing in the same room and had a good relationship. My chest hurt for 16 hours after the operation, I called him in the night and he said it was my fault i didn't take my meds, when I did. The next morning, he said I overstimulated, but other fertility doctors I've since talked to said overstimulation happens DAYS after retrieval, not HOURS. He's nice when things go his way, and cold when they don't. Also have fun sticking that giant intermuscular HCG needle in your butt, when most fertility docs let you do the 1/2 inch needle. After we figured out our relationship, we got pregnant on our own on the first try. Interesting.....

March 31st, 2012
Excellent!
A wonderful Doctor and person. So caring, professional, friendly. Always has time to answer questions. Same applies to all the staff at the clinic - couldn't be nicer.In a word.... excellent.

May 3rd, 2010
I am a two time egg donor...
And I went to La Jolla IVF the second time I donated. Compared to the last doctor I worked with, Dr. Sahakian in LA, I was not pleased with Dr. Smotrich. First off, I became hyperstimulated after the retrieval, due to what I believe was Dr. Smotrich being more concerned with retrieving eggs than he was with my health. He absolutely never once asked me if I had any questions or concerns, but was always very short and quick with me and never gave me time to discuss my situation. There was one nurse there that I liked, but the rest of the staff was very eerie to me, almost like the twilight zone. I found Dr. Sahakian to be very awkward and he very often made me uncomfortable. I went through Conceptual Options LLC, whom I was also disappointed with, and I will certainly be letting them know how I felt about Dr. Smotrich.

March 29th, 2010
wonderful experience from the first consultation. Initiated tests on day of consultation and explained a detailed plan of action. Wonderful bedside manner and has brought us the peace of mind that is needed!

July 26th, 2009
Simply the best
He is truly an exceptional human being and a doctor. Compassionate, kind, professional. And, successful...3 times we went to him - 2 pregnancies (one still pending) He is amazing.