Colon & Rectal Surgeon
219 N Broad St
Ste 8
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 762-1750
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

|  Coma  |  show details
Aug 13th, 2013

What did I like nothing I was to go in for a sigmoid colon removal because my sigmoid colon was diseased as I traveled around the world with my job Dr. Stein suggested it be removed, so the procedure as he told me would be no big deal, I would be out of the hospital in a week, operation took place on a Monday was to be released on Friday as the week went on I was getting sicker and sicker by Friday I was vomiting what looked like ground up coffee grains was complaining the whole time and his staff that was on call kept telling me to walk, walk, walk, as I did while in terrible pain, asked if they were telling this to Dr. Stein they said yes he said he never got a message as he was off the week-end as my sister had to actually punch and pound on another doctor to tell him I was dying which I was chills, vomiting, fever 104 and they kept saying they were in touch with Dr.Stein well NO they didn't as Dr. Stein said so I go back into surgery early Monday morning I got sepsis because nobody LISTENED to me so was put in an induced coma for 6 weeks and on life support, when they finally got me out of it I had tubes out of evert part of my body as I said life support, the first thing I tried to move my mouth and asked Dr. Stein what happened??? He said my colon broke so why did they not listen to me so in ICU for another 6 weeks and then trying to ween me off of the breathing machine,feeding tube,and whatever else which was attached to me still had a colostomy,Hugh slit down the middle of my stomach at least 3 inches deep and a tube on my right side of my body to take out excess fluids then rehab for 2 weeks then finally home with a pic line and an IV pole I had to hook up to 3 times a day for another 6 weeks then another operation for a reversal, to put the ostomy back then developed a double hernia so he fixed that and was proud to put pigskin in my body to eliminate further hernias, well the pigskin curled up and got hard and had to be removed the most painful thing I have ever felt in my life and replaced by another form of mesh, I didn't see him until days later, I had his personal number so I texted him and told him I need help I am in sooooo much pain, he did answer my texts and said he was in meetings and could not see me i replied not acceptable nurses called and said they could not reach him they were shocked after all I have been through, he had NO compassion again just left me in the worst pain until a Dr. Who was on his team heard my name floating in the ICU and came down to see me because he was familiar with my case because I have been in the hospital for so long and just adjusted my pain meds to a little more comfort level, I have complained to the nurses and they could not get in touch with him and they were in shock they he wasn't answering them back finally 3 days later he shows up in my room as I got hysterical with him because all that I have been through because of him and his team neglected my serious issues,the mesh that he replaced is still very painful 24/7 and I have lost soooo much of my normal life, I had to leave a dream job that I had for 13 years traveling all over the world, now every day is still a struggle I have pain getting out of bed, out of a chair,lumps all over my stomach which is embarrassing and I had a pretty decent body for 52 years of age was still able to wear a 2 pieces bathing suit now I have to wear elastic pants and full tops to hide my what was a nice built and embarrassed to be with a man, he has totally destroyed my life, I will never be able to walk more than a few blocks without being in more pain, can't lift much, clean my house or any other normal routine.and I never got any kind of nice bedside manner from him, I wonder how he would feel if this happened to his wife or any loved one of his... Sorry for such a long story and I tried to make it as short as I could as I type this in pain and also deal with depression because soooo much of my life was taken from me because HE didn't listen to me, we all know our bodies!!!! Yell at the doctors if you have to you know more than them

|  More surgeons trained like this please  |  show details
Apr 9th, 2013

My colorectal surgeon in the community told me I had to go downtown and the only surgeon he trusted was Dr. Stein. He looked at my diagnosis and issues and explained what was needed to be done and why. He told me it would be tough but we would get through it together - and we did! I am now back to full strength and enjoying life!

|  Run away!  |  show details
Oct 27th, 2011

I had a sensitive surgery that needed to be taken care of and Dr. Stein was cold, unavailable and unresponsive. When my recovery took a turn for the worse and I needed to be rushed to the emergency room, after a week of not returning my calls or emails, he said he casually said he didn't know what was wrong, but for me not to worry. When my surgery had healed and scar tissue had developed he admitted he messed up. He said he'd remove the scar tissue and I could go back to having a normal life. WRONG!Considering he had given me almost no instruction or guidance after my surgery the first time, I said to him that I need to see him immediately after my surgery. I want to know how it went. Did he show up? No. Did a nurse brief me? No. He wouldn't even return my calls. Now, my healing for my second surgery is going poorly and when I went to office, scared that something was wrong the nurse said, "Yea. That doesn't look right." Gee, Thanks for nothing!Stay far away from anyone associated with this surgeon or Hahneman Hospital for that matter!

|  Best surgeon EVER!!!  |  show details
by Stacey on Mar 4th, 2011

Dr. David E. Stein is the best surgeon one can ask for. He is extremely friendly and had the best bed side manor around. Very easy to get in contact with and returns calls asap. He takes his time to make sure you truly understand your condition and answers every question you or your family has. I highly recommend him!! He is my favorite doctor to visit!!

|  show details
Mar 2nd, 2011

I had a sensitive problem and he made me feel totally at ease. His nurse was great and they took their time and made sure I understood everything. The office was extremely busy so I had to wait awhile but it was worth it!

|  show details
Oct 19th, 2010

Although it was not the type of appointment I look forward to, I was very pleased with my experience with Dr. Stein. He was informative, kind and professional. The staff in the office was also very helpful and kind. I hope that I do not have a problem that necessitates a future visit, however, if I do, I would be happy to see Dr. Stein and his staff again.