Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by LouAnn on Jun 2nd, 2016

I just had a hip replacement and couldnt be happier - he was great, explained some extra procedures he might have to do, informed my husband as soon as I was done, checked in on me twice and explained what he did do....highly recommened!!!!!!!!

by LouAnn on Apr 29th, 2016

Just had a hip replacement and he honest, listened to me and my needs and concerns ... Came to seee next morning and just the greatest . I have no pain so he must be a gentle surgeon!

Blew me off show details Blew me off
Apr 5th, 2016

Did not do a complete exam, found some of my remarks, comments to be funny. Poor professional manner. Blew off my concerns. He disagreed with bone scan results. Felt that I did not receive his full attention and my problem was a waste of his time. Very disappointed in his care. Office staff was fantastic too bad physician was't.

by Audrius M. on Mar 11th, 2016

He did knee replacement for me. No mistakes, very profesional. Thank you , God and Doctor Manning,David W.MD

Jan 13th, 2016

Excellent surgeon. Very knowledgeable, obviously knows his stuff. He is pretty direct in his style of conversation but I like that. I had two operations with him and feel extremely confident in recommending him to others.

Great Surgeon show details Great Surgeon
Oct 6th, 2015

His nurse is very slow in getting back to me when I called and left message,

Excellent Dr. BEST IN THE NORTH WEST show details Excellent Dr. BEST IN THE NORTH WEST
by Rosie Lewis on Sep 12th, 2015

Dr. Manning did both of my total knee replacements, he is just wonderful, his Nurse Susan is great, my surgeries went just wonderful, I was up and about in less than a month, thank you Dr. for giving me a better quality of life. If I had to do it all over again I would do it in a heart beat. I recommend the surgery to any body, my body was riddled with pain, now I can walk without pain, anyone that need this surgery by all means do it.

by GL Wolford on Apr 24th, 2015

David is overall impressive ! Excellent medical/technical skills (ortho), 'tells it as it is', superb communicator and most caring.

Highly satisfied hip replacement patient at Northwestern, Chicago show details Highly satisfied hip replacement patient at Northwestern, Chicago
by Susan D. on Dec 27th, 2013

I could not be more satisfied with both the physical result of my recent hip replacement and the treatment that I received from Dr. Manning and his staff. Dr. Manning is extremely honest and professional; most importantly, he is a highly skilled surgeon. Less than four weeks after my surgery, I am walking normally and comfortably without even a cane. I have a very small anterior incision that looks like the work of a plastic surgeon. I was treated with compassion, courtesy, and respect. I am grateful and happy, and highly recommend this practice.

Total Hip Replacement show details Total Hip Replacement
by William Piersall on Sep 27th, 2013

I had a total hip replacement done by Dr. Manning in 2012. Surgery itself went well but was less impressed with aftercare and follow up. I had complication after surgery that included pain and numbness down leg to the knee. New symptoms not present before surgery. I was told by Dr. Manning it was my IT Band and that physical therapy would improve symptoms. Other than x ray of hip joint itself, no imaging or testing was done after surgery even though symptoms were unimproved at each follow up visit. I was very clear, explaining pain and symptoms, just fell on deaf ears. Went to physical therapy for 5 months, no improvement and was still in significant amount of pain. My feeling in discussing this with Dr. Manning was that he was defensive and offended, thinking I was blaming surgery. I wasn't blaming surgery, just didn't want to be in pain. Eventually he labeled me a drug seeker, thinking my complaints were a ploy to continue pain medication. I have had no history of this, and was very offended by the accusations. I followed up with a pain clinic that did full history etc, and agreed there was no indication of being a drug abuser, and started treating me for my pain. I continued with physical therapy for better part of a year, and I went for second opinion by another ortho doc who actually listened to my complaints. He referred me to a neurosurgeon, and through testing found I had a collapsed disc, L5 S1, that was causing my pain and numbness down my leg. The hip replacement aggravated a prexisting back injury. Not the fault of Dr. Manning by any means, but a thorough, compassionate doctor listens to the patient, and doesn't let his bruised ego affect his level of care. It's been over a year since hip was replaced, and I'm scheduled for disc fusion surgery this month. That's a long time to suffer in pain, be accused of being a drug abuser, and get the run around. Should have been handled differently, and I shouldn't have had to deal with this for so long. I'm certain Dr. Manning is a good surgeon, but it takes a lot more than that to be a good doctor.

Mark as Helpful  | 18 people found this helpful Report Abuse
He was a no-show show details He was a no-show
by DM on Aug 15th, 2013

I was referred to him by my GP for hip replacement surgery. I waited at least 6 weeks for the appointment. The Dr didn't show, and instead of rescheduling, they tried to substitute a nurse practitioner. They lost my x-rays and wanted me to go for new ones. I think the office staff was recruited from the DMV.

Ms. show details Ms.
by S.K. on Jul 31st, 2013

Dr. Manning performed my knee replacement surgery 10 months ago. He also performed my hip replacement and pelvic reconstruction at University of Chicago. I can't thank him enough for the ability to walk and use stairs again! His professionalism and bedside manner make him a top surgeon in my opinion. As other positive reviews before me, Dr. Manning was precise and right on target with everything he told me would happen along the way of both surgeries. I would and do highly recommend anyone needing replacement surgey to talk to Dr. Manning.

Mark as Helpful  | 10 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Joann Delcorse show details Joann Delcorse
Aug 15th, 2012

A total knee replacement and the highest my pain level was a 3-4. Amazing doctor. It hurt more to have the staples removed by the nurse.

hip resurfacing show details hip resurfacing
Dec 18th, 2011

Dr. Manning performed both my hip resurfacing surgeries. The first surgery was done approximately 2 years prior, and I am 4 weeks a long after the 2nd surgery. Dr. Manning is a great surgeon, as well as a human being. You can tell that he and his team care. I highly recommend Dr. Manning.

Oct 13th, 2011

Assistant VanderMollen useless, very uncorporative, very lax in communicating with a patient, no empathy, no help what so ever after the surgery. Would not recommend Dr. because of her.

Mar 9th, 2011

Dr. Manning is very professional and also takes time to answer any questions you have. He is the best in his field.

by Charles and Cathryn Watson on Aug 20th, 2009

Dr. Manning is a very good doctor. My husband is a patient of his and we have heard so many great things about him. My husband had knee replacement four years ago and Dr. Manning had to do a revision of his left knee due to avascular necrosis. He is an excellent surgeon and we are blessed to have him. We would defitnely recommend him as a doctor to anyone we know. Thank you Dr. Manning you are better than my husbands previous doctor in Springfield.