Surgeons
Video profile
675 N Saint Clair St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-8628
Locations and availability (4)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Highly satisfied hip replacement patient at Northwestern, Chicago  |  show details
by Susan D. on Dec 27th, 2013

I could not be more satisfied with both the physical result of my recent hip replacement and the treatment that I received from Dr. Manning and his staff. Dr. Manning is extremely honest and professional; most importantly, he is a highly skilled surgeon. Less than four weeks after my surgery, I am walking normally and comfortably without even a cane. I have a very small anterior incision that looks like the work of a plastic surgeon. I was treated with compassion, courtesy, and respect. I am grateful and happy, and highly recommend this practice.

|  Total Hip Replacement  |  show details
by William Piersall on Sep 27th, 2013

I had a total hip replacement done by Dr. Manning in 2012. Surgery itself went well but was less impressed with aftercare and follow up. I had complication after surgery that included pain and numbness down leg to the knee. New symptoms not present before surgery. I was told by Dr. Manning it was my IT Band and that physical therapy would improve symptoms. Other than x ray of hip joint itself, no imaging or testing was done after surgery even though symptoms were unimproved at each follow up visit. I was very clear, explaining pain and symptoms, just fell on deaf ears. Went to physical therapy for 5 months, no improvement and was still in significant amount of pain. My feeling in discussing this with Dr. Manning was that he was defensive and offended, thinking I was blaming surgery. I wasn't blaming surgery, just didn't want to be in pain. Eventually he labeled me a drug seeker, thinking my complaints were a ploy to continue pain medication. I have had no history of this, and was very offended by the accusations. I followed up with a pain clinic that did full history etc, and agreed there was no indication of being a drug abuser, and started treating me for my pain. I continued with physical therapy for better part of a year, and I went for second opinion by another ortho doc who actually listened to my complaints. He referred me to a neurosurgeon, and through testing found I had a collapsed disc, L5 S1, that was causing my pain and numbness down my leg. The hip replacement aggravated a prexisting back injury. Not the fault of Dr. Manning by any means, but a thorough, compassionate doctor listens to the patient, and doesn't let his bruised ego affect his level of care. It's been over a year since hip was replaced, and I'm scheduled for disc fusion surgery this month. That's a long time to suffer in pain, be accused of being a drug abuser, and get the run around. Should have been handled differently, and I shouldn't have had to deal with this for so long. I'm certain Dr. Manning is a good surgeon, but it takes a lot more than that to be a good doctor.

|  He was a no-show  |  show details
by DM on Aug 15th, 2013

I was referred to him by my GP for hip replacement surgery. I waited at least 6 weeks for the appointment. The Dr didn't show, and instead of rescheduling, they tried to substitute a nurse practitioner. They lost my x-rays and wanted me to go for new ones. I think the office staff was recruited from the DMV.

|  Ms.  |  show details
by S.K. on Jul 31st, 2013

Dr. Manning performed my knee replacement surgery 10 months ago. He also performed my hip replacement and pelvic reconstruction at University of Chicago. I can't thank him enough for the ability to walk and use stairs again! His professionalism and bedside manner make him a top surgeon in my opinion. As other positive reviews before me, Dr. Manning was precise and right on target with everything he told me would happen along the way of both surgeries. I would and do highly recommend anyone needing replacement surgey to talk to Dr. Manning.

|  Patient Beware!!!  |  show details
Jun 21st, 2013

Dr, Manning's care displayed an unprofessional condescending attitude, a wrong diagnosis resulting in a (6) month delay before ordering the proper tests, to provide me with an accurate diagnosis; which required a more timely surgery. His inappropriate and untimely communications was offensive and insulting. Worst of all, when given the opportunity to discuss the status of my experience with him directly - he assumed NO responsibility for "in my opinion" his negligence in providing me with proper care. Despite being referred by the scheduling staff as an Orthopedic "knee specialist", he informed me (6) six months after the fact, that he "doesn't do Arthroscopic Knee Surgery - he only performs knee and hip replacement surgeries"... without a single word of remorse or an apology for his complete failure to perform his most basic level or treatment or care.

|  Great Doc  |  show details
by Dale Woltman on Jan 21st, 2013

Dr. Manning did a great job with my hip replacement. From the very first office visit to the very last, he never once rushed my wife and I and his time together to end it short. He answered our questions before we could even asked them. I felt he had made sure all our questions were answered before he walked out the door. He promised me I would play hockey again and he delivered that. One year after my hip replacement I was back playing hockey, the only thing that would make me feel better is playing with him just so can see the smile on my face as I blow his doors of on the ice. I recommend him to who ever I talk to about hip replacement. Thanks again Dr. Manning for keeping me active like the 40 year old I am, and not the 80 year old I felt like. Dale Woltman

|  Joann Delcorse  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2012

A total knee replacement and the highest my pain level was a 3-4. Amazing doctor. It hurt more to have the staples removed by the nurse.

|  Highly Recommend  |  show details
Jul 6th, 2012

Dr. Manning is one of those rare physicians who take the time to discuss procedures, after surgery care, and patient concerns. When he is with you, he gives 100%, never makes you feel rushed, gives helpful advice and has an excellent bedside manner. His skills are amazing. With my first knee replacement 10 years ago, I used another colleague at the University of Chicago who is no longer doing surgery. Dr, Manning was recommended by that doctors office. It was a great referral, the surgery on my other knee this past January 2012 was amazing. Much less pain, quicker healing and I was mobile much faster. (I'm sure some of that was due to advancements in the last ten years for knee replacement surgery.) One of the reviewers sited his nurse as being useless. That was not my experience; Jan was helpful, efficient, answered all my questions and was available to talk to the home health nurse after surgery every time she called.I would go back to Dr. Manning in a heartbeat. He has just moved to Northwestern Hospital and while that isn't as convenient for me, I will certainly follow him there for future follow-ups and any other necessary orthopedic surgery.

|  hip resurfacing  |  show details
Dec 18th, 2011

Dr. Manning performed both my hip resurfacing surgeries. The first surgery was done approximately 2 years prior, and I am 4 weeks a long after the 2nd surgery. Dr. Manning is a great surgeon, as well as a human being. You can tell that he and his team care. I highly recommend Dr. Manning.

|  show details
Oct 13th, 2011

Assistant VanderMollen useless, very uncorporative, very lax in communicating with a patient, no empathy, no help what so ever after the surgery. Would not recommend Dr. because of her.

|  show details
Mar 9th, 2011

Dr. Manning is very professional and also takes time to answer any questions you have. He is the best in his field.