Overall Review

2.6

June 6th, 2016
Great Doctor
Dr. Weissgold and his staff are excellent, friendly, and dedicated. The wait times are usually long, but the office is routinely taking emergency calls and referrals. They aren't overbooking by choice--there are literally four retina doctors in Vermont, and two of them are at Dr. Weissgold's practice. They are overbooking because it is their obligation--the alternative would be to go to Fletcher Allen (and if we all did that, we'd be waiting 5 hours for an appointment) or to drive to Boston or further for care.

May 16th, 2016
Had to wait 3 hours to see doctor, then he spent 5 minutes on a hasted examn with me.

September 22nd, 2015
Needs to work on his bedside manner.

March 16th, 2015
First Timer
I was having floaters and deteriorated site in my left eye for a few days so visited my local optometrist to have a look. She diagnosed a detached retina and had me go immediately to Dr. Weissgold, who was an hour away from where I live since we have no specialists of this type locally. I arrived about 11am, filled out newbie paperwork and asked how long the whole thing may take, she stated 2-3 hours. I got my first exam within about 45 minutes by one of the assistance. Sent back to the waiting room to wait for the Doctor. Was called into an examination room at about 12:30 and waited about another 20 minutes in there. Doctor came in was what I would characterize as quick and efficient but my total exam time, including opportunity to ask any questions, was about 45 minutes. I was warned by my regular eye doctor that he might be perceived as a bit curt but is very good. I found that to be true, but did not feel in any way rushed or like some kind of dollar sign. He determined I would need surgery then and there for my detachment. That was set up within 1/2hr in office, the procedure was quick and without indecent. More time spent on questions as well. He wanted to see me again the next day, which would have been a Saturday. As he had to make a trip south anyway on Saturday, he offered to come to my home for the follow up. When was the last time you or anyone you know ever gotten a house call from a doctor. This was fantastic, saving me a 2 hour round trip and possible office wait time. He came as promised (better then the cable guy), again was efficient, the whole home visit was about 45 minutes. Given my issue was not a regularly scheduled appointment and I got in and out within about 3 - 4 hours including the surgery, I thought this was pretty darn good, then the house visit follow up was totally unexpected. I have another follow up in office this week, we'll see how that goes, but so far, I am pretty happy.

March 14th, 2015
Going to find a doctor that cares cause this one doesn't.
After 3+hrs of waiting he spent 4 minutes examining and 2 minutes asking me questions. It's all about money to this Dr. He over books patients and spends minimal time w them. Terrible Doctor. Not going back.

February 11th, 2015
Secretary
He's rude! He doesn't want to answer your questions. You can wait 3-4 hours to see him on a normal day. Other patients clap and cheer for you when your name is finally called. He discussed an emergency in ear shot of other patients, so he looks important. He made fun of a patient with Parkinson's disease. He yells at you and doesn't explain what he's going to do next in your eye exam. Avoid him at all costs. He contributed to making someone blind. He acts like he is the best in the world. I've never met such an arrogant man . He over books appointments. He thinks your time in his office isn't important, excuse me but my time is valuable too! I should have walked out after waiting for 3 hours to get in to see him. We have better eye Doctors in the Burlington area than him. Go to someone else in our area.

July 12th, 2012
I have nothing to compare it too
Having never had an extensive eye appointment it wasnt explained to me what to expect the doctor was frustrated by my inability to keep my eye open with his ocular device jammed in my eye he had traped a eylash hair between the lense and my eye ball once he explained what i needed to do he had no problem with the exam. I never told him whatg he did but he didnt ask. When he came in to describe my problem he said dont bother learning the name it wont help you understand. I laughed i thought he was making a Joke. The story explains his personalityIts been a great story to tell people about Doctors we all have a story. I have more about Him but not enough time . The visits since have been fine and very thorough and in the end have provided my friends with a Laugh. I dont need him to be a friend just help me with the problem. He is very good its not as if i will be eating a hamburger at his house. I could care less about his personality. Its his problem

September 27th, 2011
Exceptional
I am surprised with the negative comments. While there have been some appointments with above-average wait times, the security of being treated by such a competent doctor who cares enough about his patients to incorporate the most advanced medical research and equipment into his practice outweighs the slight inconvenience of waiting in the office enjoying coffee, reading and the friendly staff.

March 14th, 2011
What a wait! Horrible.
The "Doctor" Weissgold made me wait for OVER TWO HOURS in the waiting room before admitting me to his office. The office was nice and people friendly, but don't let that be your reason to attend. Weissgold is among the most infuriatiing people I have ever met and goes down on my list of hated businessmen. His office is understaffed , I assume to improve his profits, and the other patients who I talked too all complained of the same issues. Weissgold does not spend more than five to ten minutes with a patient, but sees no problem in having you wait for multiple hours before seeing you. If you've taken the time to research him as a doctor, save yourself some future time and go to Fletcher Allen Health Care. My visit to The Retina center of Vermont is by far the worst treatment I have ever received, and he should not be in health care. His actual practice seems less thoughtless, although who can really tell when he only spends five minutes in the room? I was diagnosed with lattice eye degeneration and on my follow up visit I experienced the exact same issues, except worse. The explanation was that a snowstorm had messed up their scheduling, but on every visit to this horrible clinic I spent well over an hour introducing myself to the waiting room. Don't waste your time and feed his bank account.

February 25th, 2011
Wonderful staff, arrogant doctor
The technician who worked with me was wonderful: competent, experienced, efficient, patient, and understanding. Dr. Weissgold, though competent, was rushed and arrogant.

August 8th, 2009
I waited 3 hours at last appt. Other appt.s were at least 2 1/2 hrs. wait. I was told this was the nature of their care and they couldn't do anything about it. I have since changed doctors