Dr. David Wheeler, MD
Neurologist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

|  Epepilepsy complex partial seizures and severe migraine  |  show details
by Janyce (Sandy) Stenger on Feb 21st, 2013

well were to begin, he was well mannored/personable....he took the time out of my life 6 years ago to truly give me hope that I was not a freek, he sat me down, after a long trem eeg study/told me I was not nuts. I was not having sudo seizures, did I have convulisionary brain damage ( what ever that was, no he and Cathy told me I had Epepilepsy, I was free at 49......... all those years I was lost in so many boxes of mixed diagnose, but Dr. Wheeler set me free....Well after a 6 year relationship/a VNS to stop my complex partial seizures /subq imitrex for my severe migraines and traffic personality to go with it, the seemed to assume to belief he's PA over me a loyal/long patient, that I was rude......so today I now see him no more I have had to move on, so I can't say I recomend him,today he hides behind his employees, sorry Docotor Wheeler/much much good luck, may you not be rude to good/faithful paitent in your future

|  RUDE and MEAN  |  show details
Mar 30th, 2012

We had seen him once and the next visit had to see another Doctor there as they informed us he was on vacation one day before an appointment made six months in advance. The other Doctor ordered some MRIs and we ended up back there for a diagnostic test.We thought she was conferring with Wheeler and he was still our main Doctor. My daughter was getting worse and still no answers,the test was performed at his office and he came breezing in to read the result without a word.Told my daughter that your nerves are fine dear in a very condescending tone.She started to ask a question and he very rudely informed her this was a diagnostic visit only,he was NOT even our Doctor,only read the test because Doctor Clark asked him to and now was NOT the time for questions.A few words were exchanged between he and myself upon which he stormed out leaving my daughter in tears!

Doctor's Response

I am sorry you felt your questions were not answered. We did our best to explain the process of the diagnostic work-up we were engaged in. Obviously we were not successful in communicating this to you and for that I apologize. I will try to do better and I do appreciate the feedback

|  Dr Wheeler is excellent  |  show details
by Rae Jean Koch on Jun 6th, 2010

I found Dr. Wheeler through The National Epilepsy Foundation's website after the Billings Clinic neurologists told us they didn't know what else to do for my son. Him and his staff were professional and caring. Although we are over 300 miles away, when I email him, he, himself, responds quickly.

|  show details
Apr 18th, 2010

Dr. Wheeler's credentials are second to none. Unfortunately that is where it ends. After a lengthy interview by his PA, Dr. Wheeler entered the exam room and fired off a few suggestions pertaining to a battery of tests. After spending over $3,000.00 on the testing and office visits, the final diagnosis was, "Well it might be,..." I was then subjected to a wide variety of medications to treat the diagnosis. It became more than apparent that the good doctor and his PA no longer were concerned about me as a patient when he prescribed one specific medication with refills good for nine months. I would not recommend Dr. Wheeler to any one because I simply do not believe that he works to provide quality care.

Doctor's Response

Sometimes it is difficult to reach a clear diagnosis. In such cases it is standard practice to engage in diagnostic work-ups and to try different types of medications. It is true that this process can be expensive and is often frustrating for patients AND doctors. I am sorry that I was not able to help you feel better and I genuinely hope you found the care you needed.

|  Rude  |  show details
Feb 25th, 2010

He was rude and unprofessional. He gave himself way more credit then was due, claimed to know much of the staff at the Mayo clinic where I had been seen only a month before. I later found out, none of the doctors, including mine have ever even heard of him. I was not impressed and left very angry!

Doctor's Response

I have never claimed to know any doctors at the Mayo clinic. I do in fact have a couple of friends there but this is in no way pertinent to caring for a patient in my office. I am sorry I was unclear and left the impression that I know people that I don't.

|  show details
Jan 6th, 2010

Getting an appointment with a referral was easy - told to show up at 8 AM but the doctor didn't even come into the office until 8:45. At 9:00 AM, we then went to see his PA - who was very thorough and compassionate. The PA spent 45 minutes going over all the symptoms and discussing possible causes. Finally, 2 hours later, we get to see Dr. Wheeler, who comes in only for 10 minutes to essentially say he conferred with the PA and they are in agreement about a diagnosis and further tests. Getting a quick follow up appointment is nonexistent - had to wait over a month just to get another appointment and continually told that there are no other openings. Really cannot speak to Wheeler's skills as a doctor as didn't have a lot of contact with him and didn't see him - mainly saw PA or nurse, who also returned any calls or answered any questions. Figured if I am going to pay that much for a doctor, I would rather see the doctor and not a nurse or PA.

Doctor's Response

The realities of healthcare reform are that more care needs to be provided in less time and for less money. Physician extenders are a critical element in this change process. We work very closely with our PAs and review the care provided to every patent while the patient is in the office. This allows us to see almost twice as many patients per day while providing the same high quality care. We train our extenders to ask the same questions and perform the same examination that we do leaving us time to make the clinical decisions that guide your care

|  Genuine and caring  |  show details
Oct 23rd, 2009

The best. Not in it for the money

|  Lifesaver  |  show details
by Michele on Jun 17th, 2008

My daughter was transferred via ambulance to Dr. Wheeler in the middle of the night, he took one look at her and corrected her mis-diagnosis and put her back on the road to recovery. I love his calm demeanor and ability to convey information in a straight forward fashion. I believe he saved her life that night.