inactive

David A Wolff MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

March 31st, 2016
Would not believe infectious disease Doctor that knee was infected and let me suffer through many infusions for almost year. Could not admit he was wrong! Poor results of both knee and hip surgeries.

March 28th, 2016
Former patient
Dr. Wolff did a total knee replacement on me abou 15 yrs ago and I'm still going. I had to have the left one done and went all the way to NC to a specialty hospital,with the results not so good,still in pain after 4 yrs. I can honestly say that when I needed a follow up Dr. Wolff was the only doctor that would see me. If in fact I ever have to have another replacement,he's my guy.If it hadn't been for the perks involved in going to NC I would have had Dr. Wolff,but I learned from my mistake. The perks wasn't worth it,but having the best is. I love Dr. Wolff he's the best.

April 13th, 2015
Questionable pre-surgery visit
My Injury: bilateral labral tears and bilateral cartilage damage, near the front rim of the socket in one hip, and in the dome of the socket in another. Age: 25 Martial Arts related injuries (wear over time) Occupation: personal trainer I started to talk to him about what was wrong and my medical history. He started out by saying "I don't care what the other Dr's said I'm the expert- I have zero use for what they've told you, I make my own diagnosis" ( so yeah, he... does not play well with other dr's...) He sounded sort of like a used car salesman?, and didn't really explain or do a lot of examining, or ever even look at the MRI's. It was weird. He started to read the MRI write up from the Dr. who referred me to surgery (not the MRI itself) by saying- "lets seem if these other Dr's even know what they're doing. " insert scoffing*. He then spent approximately 10 seconds skimming half of the write-up and said my cartilage damage was "probably exaggerated"... and "these things are so blurry anyways".. without EVER even looking at the MRI himself, he just decided he didn't like the other Dr's diagnosis... what?? Ok I see toss it out based on zero information- intuition based medicine. I asked him why he thought that was incorrect... he said it didn't matter either way and then just told me what surgery he was going to do ( for a labral tear- cutting back the bone to fix an impingement and sewing the labrum back together). He made that diagnosis with next to zero information or review of the case file. I stared blankly for a little bit trying to figure out how to respond... I expressed my concern that he seemed to have made that diagnosis, about what surgery he wanted to do, without reviewing anything or really examining myself or the information he had available. He then said "once I'm in with the scope (during surgery) I'll just fix what I can fix. There's no use looking at the MRI, it's like looking in a room with the lights off." My very skeptical response: "isn't any information better than none?"... He then seemed a bit irritated. He rolled up his sleeves and did a quick physical exam, then somewhat defiantly said- "so are we gonna do the surgery or what?" This was my overall impression: I'll get in there and pretty much wing it... I'm just going to cut you open and figure it out.... You can trust me... I was most taken aback that he tried to tell me that the previous area of cartilage damage (partial thickness in the dome of one of my hips) was probably fine, without even reviewing anything, he brushed it off and said "I think that Dr. is just exaggerating don't worry about it"... except instead of sounding reassuring- it sounded a bit sleazy. I should mention that micro-fracture or cartilidge transplants to fix this kind of damage make surgery really really difficult. Labral tears alone on the other hand are relatively easy to fix. So if that had to be dealt with, it would just make his job harder. My concern was that if cartilage damage needed to be fixed- I wanted to not have multiple surgeries to fix that labrum and then repair cartilage if pain persisted. His solution: I'll cut you open and then just tell you what I did afterwards.... I... honestly don't know if he's a good surgeon or not. I would take bad-person/good-surgeon, but he really came off as not only extremely egotistical, but incompetent. I have a very high tolerance for crazy- I'm not put off by quirky eccentrics or poor people skills- but I was not impressed with Dr. Wolff. His wrap up response was "forget everything they told you I'm the expert I'm the surgeon, they probably have no idea what they're taking about anyways." He honestly just came off as a major "jerk". I have a surgery date set but I'm looking for any other options, because I don't totally trust this guy. To his credit he does tons of these surgeries, but he might be a bit sociopathic- honest to god zero empathy- and gets quite frustrated if you are not full in awe of him in the first 5 minutes. I was trying not to laugh, because sometimes it was so egotistical it was actually really funny, he was unfortunately really really really hard to communicate with. No idea if he's a good surgeon. My surgery is the 27th, if I can find no one else in my system, I will report back after. Wish me luck....? : /

December 5th, 2013
Unsupportive and cruel
The man has Zero empathy, did not believe I had pain, even with increased swelling and tissue changes and inability to walk without limp. Never again will I let him treat me so cruelly. Rude during office visits and unsupportive all around. I feel sorry for his unsuspecting patients.

January 22nd, 2012
Lousy pain management doesn't like to prescribe pain medication at all! Gets upset and leaves room if you ask for pain medication. Performs hip surgery on outpatient basis which should be illegal.

December 7th, 2011
dismissive, disrespectful
if something goes wrong, it is the patient's fault, never his.he stated that I had no injury without examinin me, told me I was overly dramatic