Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist, Sports Medicine Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Broken Toe  |  show details
by Jeanette Harvey on Jul 23rd, 2014

I fell and broke my big toe and tendons. The ER suggested I go to Dr. Chen the next day. I am on Medicare and he was great. I got right and after looking over the ex rays he gave me options. I chose surgery. I was treated so nice and he even called the next day to make sure I was ok and a couple days after that. I never had to take drugs for pain. He was great and my toe healed perfect. He listened to me! His office was always busy with patients and yet I never had to wait long.

|  I definitely recommend this doctor.  |  show details
by Rick A. on Jan 18th, 2014

Was a little concerned about seeing Dr. Chen based on the reviews but getting an appointment was easy and the location really worked for me plus he was recommended by my family doctor. I got a last minute appointment and was a work-in so I did have to wait a little longer than I wanted but it wasn't too bad. Dr Chen's staff was very personable and pleasant. Dr Chen did a very thorough examination and explained in detail his diagnosis. He listened and answered all of my questions. He was very patient and spent time to make sure I was comfortable with his answers. Didn't rush through the appointment at all. Would definitely recommend.

|  Workers Comp Scam Doctor  |  show details
by Workers Comp Victim on Jan 16th, 2014

After being sent to Dr. Chen from IRS workers comp, because no one else would take gov. workers comp, my nightmare began. I had a broken shoulder, with only 10% of ligaments attached! and a broken collar bone. He looked at MRI and recommended Physical Therapy, I never got to see the MRI. Of course the PT office was partnered with them. The Physical Therapists were HORRIBLE, totally uneducated, and uncaring. Different people every week. After 8 months, YES 8 MONTHS of therapy, I told him I cannot go on anymore and wanted surgery. I tried to go ANYWHERE ELSE but to him, but Dept of Labor is not a good payer of their bills, so all other Drs. turned me down. He finally showed my MRI to me revealing that my shoulder was barely hanging on by a literal thread of a ligament. Collar bone and shoulder bone had now healed badly, and piece of bone had worked it's way down in my arm. He was to fix the collar bone, which now had bad arthritis, by cleaning out some of the calcified areas and fix the shoulder. He FORGOT TO FIX THE COLLARBONE!! Made it through surgery and then 1 week fell down right on the shoulder, in a sling, on concrete. Called I tears to come in and have it tested to see if it was damaged. He REFUSED TO SEE ME, said it was "probably fine". I called again next day and still he refused to see me. Every time I went back for follow ups, he was almost sadistic digging his thumbs into my surgery areas. I left in tears every visit. To this day 9 years later, I am in pain. THIS MAN IS A QUACK, WHO HAS A PACKED OFFICE OF ALL WORKERS COMP PATIENTS! Run for your life!!

|  Parent  |  show details
by Pk barnett on Apr 4th, 2013

Dr. Chen was very good with my two boys. He was helpful and made the right diagnosis on my boys that play football. His office staff was nice and he saw us in a timely manner.

|  I definitely do not recommend Doctor Chen.  |  show details
Feb 4th, 2013

After Dr. Chen performed knee surgery (Meniscus Repair, I believe) on my husband, and the pain and condition got worse after the surgery, I contacted Dr. Chen about my husband's condition. He said the problem was that what my husband needed was a knee replacement. When I asked why had he done the other surgery, instead? His answer was that he didn't do knee replacements! Yet he charged us for the surgery he knew was not going to help my husband, if anything, it just made the condition worse! Which we paid! My husband has been living in excruciating pain since that surgery, which was years ago. And since we don't have insurance, my husband has been having to wait for the VA to have a slot open to do the knee replacement. Now, would we recommend this doctor? Definitely not!

|  show details
Sep 13th, 2012

Awesome Dr. saved my life--I will trust him and refer him to everyone!

|  medicine conflict  |  show details
May 26th, 2012

I was prescribed medicine that caused my liver to malfunction, they didn't pay attention to the info I gave them on my medical background. I told my primary since Dr. Chen office couldn't bother calling me back after three meseges. Iwould never recommend him

|  show details
Mar 15th, 2012

Dr. Chen made my husband very uncomfortable and seemed uncaring,one of these doctors who make you feel like your wasting his time.my husband is suffering with knee pain and the dr made him feel like he was imagining the pain. needless to say we wont go back and i dont recommend him unless you like living with pain

|  This Dr. is clearly out for total knee replacements....  |  show details
Aug 12th, 2011

I was referred to this Dr.by a person that had a total knee replacement. After that referral, I figured word of mouth, usuallly the best source! Ha, I have a complex tear in my right knee and several ganglion cysts inside my knee, can bearly bend my knee without tremendous pain. Not to mention the fact that I can barely walk on it. He took about 5 minutes - twisted it all around and decided that physical therapy was the next right move. I also have some other problems, of which he felt were more the problem than my knee. He also took x-rays of my knees which are of no good to see a complex tear on a meniscal. Never even showed me my MRI - and try to explain what the report said was wrong with my knee. He used a substandard method for my type of injury and tried to pass it off as there wasn't any need for surgery. All this info in a short,cold 5 minute conversation. If you can see ANY other orthopedic surgeon - I would advise you don't waste your time or trust in a manipulative, non caring Dr.like him. Just my 10 cents worth. Another Dr.that serves up a big fat 0 for bedside manners as well as dismissive attitude. Good luck in your search, I am now going to see Dr. Greg Westmoreland, where something like a complex tear is worth his time and effort and has a great bedside manner.

|  What about it?  |  show details
May 13th, 2011

AVN in both hips. Core decompression left hip in 2008 (worthless). After I wa allowed after 3 months to put weight on it I asked about my "worse" right hip. His reponse was kind of like "what about it". Well, it's still screwed up man!! 5 months later replaced right hip. Have had mid thigh pain in right leg ever since and he was totally unconcerned about that pain. Went to a "better" surgeon and he indicated to me that that core decompression would not work, as I still felt very much discomfort in my left leg. They replaced my left hip and has been great ever since. Will probably need to get my right hip repacement replaced. ARRGGHH! Chen seemed nice enough but apparent does not keep up with the latest. I think my right hip was not fitted properly and I'll be going in for a bone scan and stuff to find out for sure. His doctoring has cost me tons of time and depressing discomfort every day. Don't go for that posterier hip replacement. The anterier approach is better with a much shorter recovery time and no real restrictions (left hip is doing great)

|  Doesn't listen  |  show details
Mar 22nd, 2011

After cast removed from a fracture in my hand I continued to have pain and numbness in hand and fingers. I went back several times to complain about dull pain. Dr. Chen suggested I take my Ibuprofin more regularly. I even called his offfice at one point asking for stronger pain meds but his office said no. My hand got worse and soon I began to loose grip of things. I went back and Dr. Chen suggested PT and told me that my hand might never recover. Finally I noticed antrophy in my hand. I went back to Dr. Chen one last time for him to send me for an EMG. He said likely that my Ulnar nurve damaged but likely at my elbow not at location of fracture. I went to see Dr. Jennifer Lord who found that the fracture had healed badly and that ther was alot of extra callused bone growth. Surgery reveiled that the Ulnar nurve was damaged by the mis alighned healing and the excessive growth of callus. Right hand may now never be much good.

|  quack  |  show details
by Ben Solterbeck on Mar 8th, 2009

Every time I saw this Dr (?) I got worse.Broke my L hip, hair line fracture. Instead of healing "Pins". Dead head of femur. Hip replacement, broken femur!2 years out of work. Pain to this day from 2001.