Dr. Denae Rickenbacker MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

March 4th, 2015
I saw Dr. Rickenbacker during an extremely difficult postpartum period. She went the extra mile in responding to my calls (frequent) and managing what in retrospect was extremely irrational and obnoxious behavior on my part. Eventually Dr. Rickenbacker helped me with an accurate diagnosis and referred me to a therapist/specialist. While our relationship wasn't excellent (I was extremely needy, and second-guessed her knowledge at every turn), she was patient and tolerated my issues. While she does "fire" patients (she would not see me when I felt ready to pursue psychiatric treatment again), I do believe it was well-meant as our relationship had been difficult.

February 20th, 2015
I have been seeing Dr. Rickenbacker for several years. She is a wonderful doctor, compassionate and well-versed in psychiatry and related meds. I am so comfortable with her that I have gone to her and paid out of pocket when my insurance didn't cover visits to her. Luckily, my current plan does cover her and I see her regularly.

February 16th, 2015
The best of the best.
In 20 years of treatment I have never had more confidence in and appreciation for a psychiatrist.

May 6th, 2014
A fine doc with a non-nonsense style, excellent listener
Dr. Rickenbacker is conscientious, a good listener, takes thorough notes, doesn't rush you through the appointment, always calls me back personally if I leave a message with questions. Her staff is very much the same. She's not the type to make small talk-she gets right to it, is very serious.

March 22nd, 2013
unfortunate
When I started seeing her it was great. . At first. Then it just went down the toilet. She always asked me the same questions over and over again as if she didn't remember me telling her in my previous appointment. I felt like she never really listened to me. My parent's were paying out of pocket for my visits. She was never on time. . And I was on a medication I could not be without and she never filled it. That happened all the time. Not to mention I was pregnant and it could have had a serious effect on my unborn child. Luckily he is healthy and happy now. I then called back months after having my baby to get back in with her and her receptionist said she wouldn't see me anymore. I of course asked why and was told that I would get a call from the doctor as to why. . Still no phone call. Nor did I receive a letter stating I was fired as a patient. Very unfortunate.

September 25th, 2012
Great doctor! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Dr. Rickenbacker is a great doctor. She is pleasant, treats you with respect, and LISTENS to you. She evaluates the whole person to try and pinpoint your issues and she "gets" that depression can be as much about physiology/biology as emotion. She is extremely knowledgeable about, not just psychiatry, but general physiology and pharmacology.

July 31st, 2012
Dr. Rickenbocker was caring and active. She provided me the ear I needed and was responsive. She was good about prescribing medications as needed, and chose appropriate ones.

July 12th, 2012
Excellent!
She is a great doctor! Very compassionate and understanding. I pay out of pocket to see her, and she's worth every penny!

May 4th, 2011
Wonderful doctor
I have been a patient of Dr. R for about 2 years now. I actually made the decision to switch to her from my previous doctor when she saw me while he was out of the office for a few months. I have never found a doctor I really liked or felt comfortable with until I had my first visit with her. I have been a patient of hers ever since and actually look forward to my monthly visits. She always gives me the time I need, and before we leave every visit, is sure to ask if I have anything else I need to speak about. She always schedules a follow up 4 wk appt for me before I leave the office. The only complaint I have is I often wait at least 20-30 minutes after my scheduled appt time, but working in the medical field myself in the past, I know how demanding some patients can be and the fact that she runs behind often really says to me that regardless of how long she has the patient scheduled for, she gives them all the time they feel they need to be sure and cover all the issues they feel important. I say this because she has done this for me as well. I have realized, as I imagine most people have over time, that doctors in general usually run behind, and therefore am sure to schedule enough time for my appointment b/c I know there's a good chance I will be there a bit longer then normal. Even after my insurance switched and she was no longer covered, I continued to stay and pay oiut of pocket b/c it's hard to find a doctor you trust and feel comfortable enough to open up to. I have called on a few occasions with an "emergency" and am almost always contacted back by the end of the day by the doctor personally if I specify that's who I need to speak with, and am helped in whatever way she can. If I need to come in for an appointment, she will fit me in somehow to make sure I am taken care of. I would highly reccomend and have reccomended her to friends and family. I only hope that she stays in the area so I may continue treatment with her for as long as I may need.

October 9th, 2010
This was the worst appt I have ever had. The Dr. was absolutely inappropriate and incompetent
I waited over 45 mins after my appt time. No one in the office bothered to tell me she was handling an Emergency. They just kept telling me that it would be a min. The appt scheduled after mine arrived just as she came out to get me and the Dr. told her that she was running late and it would be about 20 mins. As a new client, my appt was scheduled for 45 mins. It appeared to me that she was going to "catch up" by cutting mine short. I was visibly upset due to the fact I had other obligations at this point she offered to "do this over the phone during the upcoming weekend. I couldn't believe she suggested this, especially since I was paying almost $300 for the appt.It was insulting. I suggested rescheduling, however,she didn't respond and proceeded. She was in a hurry, rushing through the appt, she appeared completely disorganized, responded inappropriately to some of my responses.For example, she asked how I was and I told her that I had been sick all day and she jumped right in with, "Oh..self induced.." I was taken back, due to the fact, that I have a chronic disease that causes nausea and vomiting. The entire appt felt hostile and that I was being prejudged before facts could be given. I was hurried out the door and left with out my receipt and paper work for insurance reimbursement, and with out any type of follow up instructions given. I realized this when going home and called the office back and was told they would call back and send paper work in the mail. My therapist, convinced me to give this doctor a second chance, due to the fact Dr. Rickenbacker said that it had been the worse day in her history of practicing. I tentatively agreed, made a second call, no return call. I called again about the paperwork for the third time, but with no intentions of scheduling another appt because the first one was horrible and the fact that they couldn't return a phone call spoke volumes. It's been almost 2 months and I have yet to receive the paperwork. So, I can even get reimbursed for this complete waste of time and money. I would not recommend this Dr. to any one. I am very disappointed, this Dr. was highly recommended to me and really thought she might be able to help. Instead she made me feel like a low-life.

December 8th, 2009
Excellent Doc!
I have been seeing Dr. R. for about 1 year. She is wonderful! She cares about you, spends enough time to discuss the issues, answers any questions I have, and I feel very comfortable with her as well. She is very conservative with medicine changes and works with you to decide how to proceed instead of just telling you without explaining it. She has really helped me.