Dr. Derrell Ray Is this you?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

October 31st, 2013

Horrible experience

I have never had such a terrible experience with this type of doctor. His office is a very tiny room and is normally always over booked and crowded with long wait times. His staff is rather nice, however, they do all of the work, essentially doing his job. In the entire time I was being seen at his practice I probably spent maybe 15 minutes with him. As I said before, his staff talks to you, writes medications, then he just walks in, asks how you are, signs off then sends you on your way. I was actually removed from his practice for requested to change my medication because he was giving me two that were in the same drug classification. Upon my request he suggested I seek treatment else where. I am a wounded veteran with documented PTSD and the treatments he gave were just awful. Also I would like to mention he spends every other week at his other practice out of town so if your appointment falls on that week you are basically out of luck. The office is usually not that well kept either and if you have anxiety issues you will more than likely have an anxiety attack as his waiting room is maybe a 10x10 room. I highly recommend seeking other physicians first. I have seen many good docs over the and some bad ones. The care is very impersonal and I believe he is a hypocrite. I took my medications exactly as he prescribed and I always ran out early. All in all, bad practice, he won't even shake your hand.

October 8th, 2013

Worst Psychiatric Experience of My Life.

I am a 26 year old female with a graduate degree in health and medical journalism. I am well aware of the atrocities that go on in our medical system, and the extremely negative experience I had at Dr. Ray's office certainly fulfilled this expectation. Upon my first visit, I was screened by the nurse practitioner, who ONLY seemed interested in the fact that I had a breast augmentation than the problems I was there for - such as my PTSD, social anxiety, glossophobia, generalized anxiety and eating disorder. She even made the comment, "Well, I had a friend that was molested by her dad and she turned out just fine." She then proceeded to compare her weight fixation with mine, which I found to be extremely unprofessional.Upon my second visitation, I was able to meet with the psychiatrist. He told me he needed to take me off of the drug that had been working for me for a long time. He said that it was too addicting, which was fine with me. He prescribed me a similar drug, which I was fine with as well.However, upon trying the drug he prescribed, I realized that it was not for me. The drug was making me paranoid and more anxious than usual. I brought this all up on the follow-up visitation. The nurse practitioner came in first and asked me all of these questions, which I explained to her in great detail. I compared my old drug to my new drug, using it as an example of what works for me vs. what doesn't. I was not "fishing" to get the old drug back. I have legitimate social anxiety and was voicing my opinion on what I thought worked vs. what didn't (the new drug he prescribed me). Upon entering, the doctor gave me a fist bump, which I thought was a little demeaning and unprofessional. I suppose he thought it was "funny" and made him cool. He then set down and took a look at the IPad in which the nurse practitioner had made notes about my concerns. I began talking, as I usually do when I try to explain things to my doctor. As per any ad for doctors, "make sure you talk to your doctor." I was simply trying to explain myself and my situation.The first thing he exclaimed before he even acknowledged that I was speaking was "Carolyn, I AM NOT PUTTING YOU BACK ON ____ MEDICATION. IT HAS A 50% ADDICTION RATE." His attitude was extremely rude and condescending, as if I were some kind of child and he was scolding me for even having a problem. I was stunned. I replied, "well, actually, I wasn't even trying to get that old medication. I was trying to explain the problems with paranoia and anxiety from a medication that you prescribed me." The assumption was clear. He seemed almost more than ready to jump to the conclusion that I was some kind of junkie looking to score some of my old medication. At the time I was too surprised to act, but his scathing remark immediately brought me to tears as I have a legitimate need for anxiety medication, and his lack of concern for anything other than what was on the chart was sickening, disheartening, disappointing and demeaning. I later called and cancelled the appointment that I rescheduled after I gathered my thoughts and emotions in a calm and rational manner in order to discern what had just occurred and that it was not my fault.I will NEVER go back to Dr. Ray's office again, and I will tell anyone else with legitimate psychiatric concerns to steer clear of his office and the rude remarks and belittling behavior of his staff.

May 8th, 2013

Drug Mill ?

I read another review titled "Stay Away" and was emboldened to write my own review. My doctor appointment was some time ago, perhaps 6 months. I, too, saw a nurse for review on one day and saw the doctor on the following day. (I wonder why I had to be inconvenienced by 2 appointments. The nurse simply recorded answers to questions on her laptop.) The next day, as a new patient, there was 18 minutes from the time I left my car until the time I returned. The doctor was about 5 minutes late. He was cordial as he wrote out the exact same prescriptions I was already taking, with no questions. I learned more about his wife than he learned about my needs as a patient. Some years back I spent a few days in the hospital due to a problem with medication. I don't want to ever repeat that and I take responsibility for taking care of myself. That being said, I had found a wonderful doctor, before moving. She asked me about small changes in my behavior and picked up things I wasn't aware of. She treated me as a person, not a receptacle for pharmaceutical products. In addition to to Dr. Ray performing no discernible service, he criticized what she had done. I would love to find someone who would treat me appropriately. This was at the Savannah office.

May 9th, 2012

Great Doctor. He recognized that my son could down grade to a medication that was not as harmful to his organs as the current one he is taking. His staff is so patient and kind. They remember details about my son instantly as we walk into the office. I have had a great experiance here the last year

May 1st, 2012

Manerism

Works with client in developing a medication regimen that works best for your unique needs. Will listen to your concerns and if you dont feel some medication is working he will change. Follow up with your treatment as needed and his goal is to help you get better so client can live a productive healthy life.

November 21st, 2011

Dr. Ray is wonderful but his office staff leaves a lot to be desired. VERY RUDE...to the point that I decided to find another doctor. Hated leaving Dr. Ray but it's just not worth dealing with the office staff....on the phone or in person.

July 20th, 2011

Great doctor

I love Dr. Ray! He really listens to my concerns, my problems, and he addresses every detail. He very friendly and caring. I totally recommend him to everyone.

April 29th, 2011

He is horrible !!!! I am changing doctors next week !!!

February 16th, 2011

New Patient

I waited 2 hours before getting in to see Dr. Ray's nurse who spent about 35 minutes talking to me. She then left the room, and 5 minutes later Dr. Ray walked in. He did not introduce himself or shake my hand when I offered. He did not offer me a diagnosis or treatment plan. He just gave me two prescriptions for drugs I don't know anything about and told me to come back in 3 weeks. No wonder it was easy to get an appointment with Dr. Ray; he's a quack! STAY AWAY...BE WARNED...HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE TREATING PATIENTS...I AM ALSO GOING TO REPORT HIM TO THE GEORGIA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION.

October 10th, 2016