Dr. Desmond Anim-Appiah MD Patient Reviews

• 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

January 27th, 2011
Exceptionally Extraordinary
I have seen many many doctors in my years of medical issues and I hope to not have to find a 'replacement' for the extraordinary doctor that I met a year ago; I would honestly rate Doctor Anim-Appiah as the hands down best of the best, he has seemed to take the led of what seems like a extreme team of doctors in expertly caring for my complex mix of rare diseases; he really takes the proper time needed to throughly check each point of pain for diagnosing and seeks plenty of information to make the right decision. I am most impressed with his caring bedside manner, he can be serious and yet at times can be subtly humorous too when it is appropriate which helped lighten the setting a bit. Perhaps it would be best to describe Dr. Anim-Appiah is an exceptional expert in what sounds simple: "caring". Medicine and other things in medical school can be taught to someone; yet at times it seems rare to say that 'caring' is an expertise or specialty but if it was up to me, I'd add "Caring" to what it says below his name: "Specialty for Dr. Desmond Anim-Appiah:Geriatric MedicineInternal MedicineRheumatology"To say that he specializes in Rheumatology and Internal Medicine, is quite accurate, to include but certainly not limited to: medication options, dosages, procedures, tips, advice (etc) that you want and should expect from a doctor that is an expert in his field... and yet he can also very articulately explain complex issues in simple ways if needed. I would try to give the analogy though that to limit his 'specialty' to those three areas listed above would be like saying a luxury sedans 'specialty' is limited to accelerating quickly, drive smoothly and protecting well in a car accident while failing to point out how to exceptionally more features you get in a classic luxury sedan than when a put it head to head with a 'value package' option of any 'common car'!He is well liked and highly regarded by his very competent, courteous, and polite staff, he is highly recommended by not only his colleagues but also his other patients, yet he insists to his staff on being involved and updated consistently. The doctor is so involved in fact that his staff at times seems slightly 'overloaded' which is about the only 'negative' thing (that on the other side seems like a great strength to me as well in most ways) that I can think of - in a way his nurses seem proud to 'do it right' for the doctor though. There are times he is doing hard to schedule on shorter notice (somewhat depending on the severity of your condition) but it is still easy to get an appointment for his next available time, so if you need to ideally plan ahead, do it; he's well worth the wait (if any). Although the better news is, once you get in the first time, then it is much easier to follow up as needed. Anim-Appiah works exceptionally well and quickly with the other specialists to get their advice if he runs into some problem that needs attention that is out of his wide scope of expertise to exemplify how to 'excellently accurately diagnose a problem' and then Anim-Appiah follows up promptly with a very pragmatic, "can do" positive attitude and if there are any options, he ensures that you understand the pros and cons of each option before explaining his recommendation and still he carefully seeks as much of the patients input for making the final decision as much as possible (so that he ensures that the patient is informed on all options; as it should be) so it is easy to rate him at the top of 'spending enough time with me' category in my opinion. It is hard to explain how much I (as well as all others that I have met that know him) admire this top rated/ranked doctor, I really wish more doctors would take the time to learn from his example; Doctor Anim-Appiah is quite simply an exceptional asset to any hospital and I could easily envision him being the lead doctor of a department at any hospital he chose to work at... Though I must say (from other examples that I have seen) that; moving him up into 'management' would be a definite 'lose' in a way to any patient of his if he put more 'on his plate' to move up into management as he is great at what he does; diagnosing and treating patients! For now; I have nearly run out of adjectives to submit for a comment - so I want to close by sharing that I genuinely hope though that Doctor Anim-Appiah chooses to stay put in Idaho helping the US military veterans at the VA! - if you are reading this comment, be blessed enough to end up become his patient if you are not; and if you are his upcoming patient looking for information on him, feel safe and relaxed knowing that you are in exceptional hands for your care! His last name can be tricky at first (especially if you are medicated) so I'll attempt to spell it 'phonetically' of what I think it sounds like: "(An_nim) - (AH_pea_AH)"