Dr. Dick Hoistad MD Patient Reviews

February 14th, 2017
Professional...got right to the problem, not wasting my time and his. Excellent.

February 6th, 2017
Excellent doctor.
Excellent, thorough, always thinking of ways to solve your issue if previous attempts have been unsuccessful. He's dedicated and caring.

October 28th, 2015
Had a stapedectomy performed by dr hoistadt several years ago to combat otosclerosis- first surgery was unsuccessful- apparatus had shifted and tinnitus was overwhelming- the dr told me i had to wait 6 months to perform a re- surgery. I waited 6 months and he performed the surgery- tinnitus was so loud and oppressive i knew not how to function- he kept telling me to wait that it would get better. He considers the surgery a success- i can hear- but i believe the damage to my ear hairs that occoured during the surgery wereall his fault- he finally stopped even seeing me as a patient after i asked him to provide me with a note to my employer as the hearing issue was causing me great difficulty- if you are not familiar with tinnitus let me assure you- it will ruin your life- so funny i went to him to get hearing aides- was told he could fix the problem and now i have to wear hearing aides that make constant noise- / so we could have just skipped my surgery i cannot focus, recall or handle many emotions involved in life- if you are seeing this man as a dr i would run before he screws you up too

April 27th, 2015
Told me he didn't believe me about my symptoms. Told me it was my fault for choosing to live in remote area if I couldn't get to ofc w/ symptom displaying. Did fix mastoid problem - apparently competent surgeon.

April 15th, 2013
Nice to Work With
Visiting Dr. Hoistad was an interesting experience, but also a positive one. He needed to finish with another patient before he got to me, but I did take a hearing test to provide baseline information while I waited (which helped immensely) and he was quite informative once the visit actually began. Like many surgeons, Dr. Hoistad seemed to be detail-oriented and relatively focused on his work, perhaps slightly to the detriment of conversation. I wasn't visiting for a nice talk, though, I was visiting for a medical issue and was quite satisfied with the information he provided and his own personal expertise. He examined the material provided (including scans) and made a quick diagnosis of my issue, along with the suggested method of treatment. While doing so, he also took the time to explain potential complications of the treatment, along with his experience in the subject and his record in similar surgeries. Also on hand were some informational items about my issue for further reading, and it's always nice to know there's easy access to relevant information that I probably want to go over. The staff in his office were courteous and friendly, and I felt that I was being treated with respect and professionalism at all times. Dr. Hoistad may come across as a little rapid and direct, but don't be bothered by this. He knows what he's doing. Recommended? Yes.

September 29th, 2012
Best ENT in Seattle
In addition to having a fantastic bedside manner, Dr. Hoistad really makes you feel like he cares about your problem. He also explains (in understandable patient lingo) the treatment options available as well as any risks and or side effects. If you've been searching for a highly skilled, caring ENT, who really listens, I recommend you schedule a consult and see for yourself. I promise you, you won't regret it. On a side note, Dr. Hoistad's assistant, Christina, is super warm and friendly and very efficient. Just another perk that should be mentioned.

March 30th, 2012
Dr. Hoistad likes his patients to be in pain
Dr. Hoistad is a great surgeon but there is something strange about him. He's really a tight butt about pain killers. I've heard this from other patients too. I friend of mine had surgery last year in 2011 and he accused him of taking too many pain killers. He even was talking about limiting the pain killers a day after the surgery? I find this crazy especially after a surgery. He's a great surgeon but he's a tight butt when it comes to dealing with pain. If you have surgery with him please expect to being taking OTC pain killers a week after surgery! I'd rather find somebody else personally because I don't want to be in pain just because this Hoistad has a problem with Narcotics or he's afraid of somebody getting addicted.

October 3rd, 2011
GREAT SURGEON! Don't let his personality fool you ;-)
I have seen comments from patients referring to Dr. Hoistad's "Curt, or "rude" bedside manner" I would like to point out the fact that he is not there to try out for valedictorian nor is this your Daddy who is going to hold your hand through your surgery. Dr. Hoistad is a SURGEON! What you CAN be thankful for is that Dr. Hoistad just happens to be THE BEST Otolaryngologist Surgeon in the State! My opinion? Yes, however I have gone through at LEAST 6 prior Otolaryngologist. Dr.Hoistad performed a surgery that consisted of reconstructing my right eardrum which 2 other Otolaryngologist's had previously tried and FAILED. Hoistad also placed a titanium bone in place of the bone that had been worn away. I had a massive hearing loss I wore my hearing aid on high and my TV turned up to 60. I am now 3 months post surgery, however within the first week I could actually hear again without my hearing aid! Dr. Hoistad GAVE ME BACK my ability to hear again! The are birds singing, I can actually hear the rain hit the roof, I have been hearing and "Singing" to my own tune "Literally" I just realized for the past 30+ years I have been singing the Beatles "Lucy in the sky"... I always thought the verse was "A GIRL WITH COLITIS GOES BY" I can hear so well that I now know what people are saying! A GIRL WITH KALEIDOSCOPE EYES" ohhh... I get it lol! Oh,and the absolute best part of being able to hear again?...... I can now hear my disgruntled teenager when he walks away mumbling ;-) Thank you Dr. Hoistad for making my life so much better.

September 16th, 2011
Very curt, rude and condescending but other than that I was satisfied with my visit.