Dr. Don Johnston MD Patient Reviews

• Orthopedic Surgery Euless, TX

• Good
  • Bad

August 17th, 2016
Broken left arm with blood clots in both lungs and the saddle
He's very entertaining. And to the point knows his business very well and he really enjoys talking about the military . Has kept me alive and giving me the medication that I have needed thank you dr. Johnston

July 1st, 2016
Dr. Johnson's treatment was quick and effective. Got me back walking within a couple of days.

March 13th, 2016
Horrible bedside manner. God complex, should retire.
This doctor needs to retire! He refused to let my PT person choose the best PT for me. I was 34 when I broke an ankle and got stuck with him through the hospital for surgery because I was admitted. He refused to allow me to work from home on a laptop, demanded I stay home in bed. And then wouldn't sign off on water therapy that my PT person wanted. I think he got mad that I found my own PT place instead of using the one he recommended that wasn't as close to my home. When I went in to talk to him he said "I'm the doctor not your PT person" and "the best you can hope for is 80% recovery". I WAS 34, I expected 98% recovery hardware or not. I finally had to just leave his office and I went to another Dr that signed off on what PT wanted and took over my care. Johnstons because manner leaves A LOT to be desired. He had a god complex and works with a lot of older people. Hence the 80% recovery comment, because someone 70 plus years old may be ok with 80%. I wasn't, and neither was my PCP. This Dr also didn't give me the proper care when my wound want closing properly and was infected. He kept saying to keep it wet. And I showed him it's getting infected because it wasn't closing after the staples were removed. I went to my PCP and he tested it and it came back positive for STAPH which he quickly ordered me antibiotics for and told me to dry it out not keep it wet. Lastly while in the hospital for 3 days with the surgery he refused to order me thyroid meds which you have to take daily because they are a hormone. I had to argue and argue to get it. I eventually just called my mother who brought them to me and told the nurse, order it or I'm taking my own supply. He didn't want to order it because he felt I didn't have a thyroid issue, he is highly prejudice against obese people. It's been 3.5 years, and I have nerve damage to my toes and they go numb because of how the nerves are in the foot where the rod and screws are. My scar is straight, but wide where it wouldn't heal right. And I praise my PT person and PCP who knew I needed water therapy after 6 weeks bed rest and wheelchairs. I couldn't even walk a straight line in water much less on land. This Dr is horrible, and you should seek out someone else!

March 7th, 2016
Great doc!
Saw Dr J for knee prob. He suspected torn meniscus and ordered MRI which confirmed it. Knows what he's doing and enjoyed his bedside manner. Would highly recommend...

March 10th, 2015
Saw Dr J in emergency with Patel tendon rupture. Thorough at the moment, in follow up and in referral to therapy. Very confident with him.

June 23rd, 2014
Experiences with Dr. Johnston & his staff
I thought Dr. Johnston would be a good choice for my hip fracture. According to him, I needed a hip replacement. However, his office staff were extremely rude. The day and location for my surgery was scheduled. Approximately 3 wks before the date, his office staff called and wanted to change the location of surgery. I said that I would not go to Ft. Worth when the hospital in Bedford had been agreed upon from the very beginning. When I called his office to ask for their opinion on the right rehab to select, I was told that since I didn't trust them, I should get another doctor. I thought they were supposed to be there to help me since they were familiar with the rehab facilities. From the first appointment when I was having difficulty opening their office door to the last phone call, his front desk folks were rude and lacking any in of the characteristics you expect to find from people in the healthcare industry. Dr. Johnston needs to find better people to represent him!!! With respect to Dr. Johnston, the only comment I have is that he originally misdiagnosed the severity of my problem (hip fracture) and because of that, I went for a year thinking my hip was going to heal before learning that a hip replacement was needed.

May 7th, 2014
Keep looking
I wish I had gone to a different doctor just for a second opinion and experience, but I didn't. I settled for Dr. Johnston. He's an ok doc, but he's not very informative and couldn't even actually tell me exactly what he did procedure wise even standing there looking through my records. Ok, I guess I didn't really need to know. He's kind of a smart aleck and brushes off your questions and concerns. Staff wasn't great and got annoyed with me when I asked questions and asked them to fill out forms for my employer. I won't go back and will find a different doctor if I ever need one. He told me he does a lot of charity cases so hopefully they get the warm fuzzies from him, which I wasn't expecting at all and I got exactly what I expected.

November 12th, 2013
perspective patient
Not sure I want this doctor after all....I'm looking for a neurological/orthopedic surgeon for my husbands wrist. I think I till keep looking

October 10th, 2013
He operated on my back in 1995. I am supposed to have a 10% impairment rating. I don't believe I am impaired at all. I am now in my middle 50s and have never had any more problems with my back. He has also helped several family members with shoulder surgeries, knee surgeries, etc. As far as his demeanor, he can be a little frank and doesn't give that "warm fuzzy" that some EMOTIONALLY NEEDY folks want. Personally, I would rather have a top notch surgeon and get my warm fuzzies from my mom....but that's just me. The only person I know of who had a bad experience was a patient who took her cast off her wrist after surgery because "it was itching"....How stupid! Can't blame the doctor when you're being an idiot! He is one of the best doctors around, in my opinion. He does have a mixed staff. Most are rude except for Barbara - she is a jewel!

October 1st, 2013
Patient
Dr. does not speak clearly, you can hardly hear him. He does not have much patience. I do not think I will recommend any of my friends to him. Receptionist very rude, not polite at all

September 16th, 2013
Worst doctor ever!!
My Mom broke her wrist and he performed the surgery. He was always sarcastic and tried to be funny , never professional. Weeks after surgery , after the hand was not even aligned correct with the wrist, she ask him to do an X-ray because physical therapy was hurting so bad and she felt it was not healing correctly. He said no he wold not do the X-ray it would just cost more money. After weeks of pain and having the metal bars in her wrist , she decided to consult another doctor. After the X-rays and finding out It was STILL broke , the second doctor performed her surgery correctly. We just wanted him to apologize and admit he messed up. He would not even release her records. He is unprofessional and should not be in practice!!

July 16th, 2013
Mom and housewife
I really lucked out getting to Have Dr Johnston as my doctor and surgeon . He is brilliant and has lots of experience. Thanks to him I am mobile again! Bravo...He is funny too!