Dr. Donald Atkins MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

October 22nd, 2016
Horrible Dr.!
Answered very few questions, threw brochures at us, and had his hand on the door knob ready to walk out after less than 10 min, after I waited 2 hrs to see him. He later told my referring Dr that my case was too complicated. Nurse even said how over worked, underpaid, and under appreciated she was. Sad. Terrible experience! Entire office staff seemed disgruntled with an I don't care attitude.

September 11th, 2016
Scream as loud as you can
This was called the Screaming Surgery, that's because while I was having a Spinal Stimulator installed I was not given enough sedation. As I later found out and not from Adkin's, was that I kept waking up. Most of the time screaming and pleading for them to stop. I felt them put the wires in my back, then shove the wires through my back to my right side where the battery pack was cut. Now I was in an out of all through the operation, I can't believe that anyone would be so careless.

August 30th, 2016
Excellent Dr. & Staff - Very Personable
Very nice, straight to the point, takes the time to tell you what to expect and what you should or shouldn't do. Went to see Dr. Atkins approximately 2 years ago, and now I'm coming around full circle back to him as recommended by my Pain Management Dr., and I couldn't be happier, with the exception of the pain.

August 16th, 2016
Very good doctor and surgeon.

July 29th, 2016
Poor way to schedule appointments
Love Dr. Atkins but their method of getting an appointment is unacceptable. You have to leave a message for his nurse...she may or may not return your call days later. At that time you probably do not have your calendar handy to schedule an appointment. Waiting room time is much too long. However, once you get to see Dr. Atkins, it seems all worthwhile. I recommend him, just not trying to getting an appointment.

January 14th, 2016
Been seeing Doctor Atkins for more than fifteen years. Would recomend him do anyone.

April 18th, 2015
Dr. Atkins is the only surgeon that I trust. I recommend him to every person that needs a neurosurgeon. He has an amazing bedside manner and truly cares about his patients. I have been his patient for ten years. I would not trust any other...

August 29th, 2014
Mother died as a result of Dr. Atkins
I have never left a review of any kind, but after 2-1/2 years of suffering the unnecessary death of my mother due to Dr. Atkins carelessness, I feel people need to be aware of certain things. First of all, he did what he called "2 surgeries in 1" on my mother, who was 71 years old. He did spinal fusions as well as fix some stenosis she had. The amount of pain she was in was extreme for 2 weeks. He had her so drugged up on hard core narcotics, in addition to her regular meds, that she developed Serotonin Syndrome. From that, she developed a condition called DIC, which ended up causing a brain hemmorhage. My brother and I both left messages that week for him to call us to discuss what happened, and to this day, we haven't heard from him. I have talked to many profossionals, and they all concur that Serotonin Syndrome is ONLY caused from medications. Ihope this helps in your decision whether to use him or not, but PLEASE make sure you have someone you can trust to monitor all the meds you are on. NO ONE should ever have to go through this.

August 8th, 2014
I recommend Dr. Atkins
I moved to Texas from Kentucky and transferred my back care to Dr. Atkins. While he has not yet operated on me, he has always been very thorough with me and takes all the time I need. He was highly recommended by my physical therapist. I am very pleased with my care. I am a nurse so am very observant. I was in need of mobility assistance and where other doctors wouldn't help me, he went to his computer and pulled up all the necessary forms for me...it took him at least 30 minutes to do that. Very appreciative that he took his valuable time to help me.

May 29th, 2012
Joe
He has a nurse named Dan that has a memory problem. He really doesn't know what he is doing. Does not follow through with the patient.

December 7th, 2011
Excellent Physician
Dr. Atkins was recommended to me. I am very glad that I chose him. He is very knowledgable and that knowledge is passed along to the patient. At no time did I feel fear that my back surgeries were going to fail. Was very straight forward with me, and answered all of my questions honestly. I visit the Hardy Oak office. Everyone in there has been very efficient, and personable.

July 25th, 2011
An Excellent Surgeon.....
Dr. Adkins is an exceptional surgeon. He was recommended to me by three other doctors in San Antonio, all of whom raved about his temperament and skill as a surgeon. He is meticulous, with great attention to detail, always to the point, and does not hesitate to do what is right. I found his office to be very helpful with the litany of things that must be done to make the surgery happen. I have no hesitation whatsoever in giving Dr. Atkins my highest recommendation.