Surgeons
18626 Hardy Oak Blvd
Ste 240
San Antonio, TX 78258
210-477-1956
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

• Currently 2.7619047619048 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  show details
by Belinda Downing on Jul 12th, 2013

Dr Atkins explained my condition very well and throughly went through all of my studies with me from beginning to current time. He answered all of mine and my families questions and spent more than expected time with us. Thank you.

|  Joe  |  show details
May 29th, 2012

He has a nurse named Dan that has a memory problem. He really doesn't know what he is doing. Does not follow through with the patient.

|  Excellent Physician  |  show details
Dec 7th, 2011

Dr. Atkins was recommended to me. I am very glad that I chose him. He is very knowledgable and that knowledge is passed along to the patient. At no time did I feel fear that my back surgeries were going to fail. Was very straight forward with me, and answered all of my questions honestly. I visit the Hardy Oak office. Everyone in there has been very efficient, and personable.

|  An Excellent Surgeon.....  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2011

Dr. Adkins is an exceptional surgeon. He was recommended to me by three other doctors in San Antonio, all of whom raved about his temperament and skill as a surgeon. He is meticulous, with great attention to detail, always to the point, and does not hesitate to do what is right. I found his office to be very helpful with the litany of things that must be done to make the surgery happen. I have no hesitation whatsoever in giving Dr. Atkins my highest recommendation.

|  Superior Surgeon and Experience Level  |  show details
by Jimenez on Jun 28th, 2011

Dr. Don Atkins was recommended for the neck surgery he did on my husband, by another of his patients on whom he did back surgery, who is a friend of mine. She could not have said nicer things about Dr. Atkins. We got THREE OPINIONS on the procedure and other doctors just raved about Dr. Atkins, said he was the perfect doctor to do the procedure, no one else had done as many of them as he had. His bedside manner was more than fine, took the time to explain everything, but advised us not to do the back surgery, which we were also contemplating. The other docs agreed with that also, including Dr. Atkins referral to a pain management procedure. The neck surgery turned out as promised, and my husband can now move his neck freely, which he hasn't been able to do in years. He is an excellent surgeon and has since operated on the back of a friend of mine. He does have a little bit of an ex-military doctor personna, but we didn't care. He is the best and we wanted the best.

|  Excellent Surgeon  |  show details
May 13th, 2011

Excellent surgeon!!!! He is very upfront with you and shoots straight from the hip. He is very professional and is compassionate. I would recommend to anyone. Great doctor.

|  This Dr. Is Great  |  show details
by Sharon Tschirhart on May 20th, 2010

I read some bad reviews and was apprehensive about going to see Dr. Atkins. He was so nice but very upfront and professional. He spent the time necessary and ask for another test before deciding. Great doctor and wonderful gentleman. I recommend him highly

|  Changed Life  |  show details
Oct 19th, 2009

I am surprised that ANY person who has been a patient of Dr Atkins would find anything positive to recommend about his ability to operate, communicate and least, but most important; care about his clients. His incompetence in most aspects of medicine in general, and neurosurgery specifically, are so apparent I am amazed he hasn't been called to court. His inadequacy has negatively impacted my life; when brought to his attention (or attempting to speak to him--like talking to someone who believes they are God)I felt like a rat he had 'used' in his lab for research. I believed initially that he was a competent surgeon; but recent events have proven I am too trusting. Find another surgeon, do not put your life in his hands.

|  NEED A SECOND OPINION.  |  show details
by Another patient on Sep 23rd, 2008

Not satisfied with explanation of answers to the questions that were asked. Not very informative. No bedside manner. Too abrupt. Does not spend enough time with patient.

|  Great surgeon  |  show details
Aug 22nd, 2008

I had surgery performed by Dr. Atkins and Dr. Bogaev and would not hesitate to have another proceedure done by these guys if I had to. Great doctors!

|  poorest bedside manner I had ever seen  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2008

I had to have an emergency brain surgery and did not know what to expect during recovery. I would write down any questions that I had during the day and when I saw him I would try and address those questions. He dismissed my questions and would plainly say that I talked too much and walked out on me. This happened the first two days and after that I chose not to talk to him any longer unless he asked me something directly. He felt that I should have been recovering faster and made me feel as if it were my fault although I did everything that was asked of me from the nurses.