Surgeons
Video profile
5454 Bothe Ave
San Diego, CA 92122
619-441-3142
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  ACL Reconstruction Nov 2010  |  show details
Jul 24th, 2012

Dr. Fithian is an excellent surgeon who also demonstrates compassion and courtesy to his patients and goes above and beyond with patient care. As a physical therapist, I have high standards when it comes to selecting a surgeon. After partially tearing my PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) on my right knee and rehabbing it for almost 6 months conservatively, I requested an appointment with Dr. Fithian since he had been recommended as the director of the department and expert in knee injuries. The previous orthopedist I had seen seemed adequate, but I wanted an opinion from an expert before I resumed playing sports. I had to wait approximately 1 month to see him, but my injury was not acute and I was still rehabilitating it, so I gladly waited. Dr. Fithian spent a significant amount of time explaining all the pros and cons of surgery before we ultimately decided together that PCL reconstruction surgery was not necessary and I could return to full sports activity.I resumed a high level of activity and unfortunately, tore my left ACL just one month later. I emailed Dr. Fithian directly when I determined that I had a complete tear of my ACL through manual testing. Dr. Fithian personally responded within 24 hours that his nurse would call me to schedule an appointment and they scheduled me within the week. Dr. Fithian confirmed that I had a complete tear of my ACL through manual testing and ordered an MRI to confirm and check for any other structural damage while simultaneously instructing his scheduler to schedule my ACL reconstruction surgery in the near future. They offered me several dates due to my work schedule and travel plans and I was scheduled within a few weeks.The evening before my surgery I learned that my grandfather was gravely ill and would likely only survive a few more days. It was a Sunday night and I had no way to directly contact Dr. Fithian so I left phone and email messages stating that I had to cancel surgery to fly to see my grandfather. I felt horrible canceling a surgery with such late notice, but Dr. Fithian personally got on the phone with me when the surgical center called the next morning and assured me that it was no inconvenience to him and offered his condolences. He also assured me they would reschedule my surgery in the next few weeks even though his scheduler had told me he was booked for the next 2 months. He came through on his promise and had his scheduler create another spot on an afternoon that had been previously been blocked on his schedule.The surgery went well and I returned to full sports activity after 9-12 months of rehabilitation. At 36 years old, I can complete box jumps, sprints, stair/hill training runs and I compete in a 24-hr adventure relay race annually. I could not be happier with both the surgery and the level of care I received from Dr. Fithian.

|  Great surgeon!  |  show details
Feb 29th, 2012

I would trust my life in Dr. Fithian's hands. He did a great job giving me two total knee replacements. He exudes confidence and does an excellent job.

|  Excellent  |  show details
Feb 3rd, 2012

Dr Fithian has done 4 knee replacements in my immediate family with outstanding results/recoveries. He repaired/rerplaced my left knee that the VA had been tinkering with since it got mangled in the Army in 1968.

|  Sadistic Kaiser Surgeon  |  show details
Nov 28th, 2011

I terminated orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Donald C. Fithian, for cause, which I made known to him and the Kaiser Permanente San Diego Medical Center in a written complaint about his disruptive conduct that has been ignored by the HMOs Quality Improvement Committee and the Medical Director.The Texas Department of Insurance also found that Kaisers systemic pattern and practice assured that patient complaints about disruptive physicians were not reviewed and acted upon, causing Kaiser to terminate medical practice in the State.Dr. Fithians sadistic and domineering conduct toward patients in pain is illustrated by undisputed facts:En route to my last scheduled appointment with Dr. Fithian, 45 minutes from my home, my husband and I were forced to exit the freeway at an unfamiliar location, due to inclement weather. We telephoned Dr. Fithian twice to confirm that we would arrive 15 minutes late and to ask for directions. Dr. Fithians assistant stated that he would provide my usual injections for pain relief, upon my arrival. Upon our arrival, I checked in and paid in advance for his service.Subsequent to a 10 minute delay in the waiting room, Dr. Fithians clerk emerged to inform me that he had an important meeting, that he would not provide the service for which I had paid, and that I should make another appointment.I requested that this clerk ask Dr. Fithian to reconsider and to provide the injections. Subsequent to another 10 minute delay, the clerk emerged and told me that Dr. Fithian would not provide the injections, but he had assigned a physician assistant to provide them.As I was desperate for immediate pain relief, I agreed, although the assistants services were at a lower level of care than Dr. Fithians, for which I had paid.The assistant was unable to insert the needle into my knee, which produced excruciating pain, until I demanded that he remove it. Upon successive attempts, all of which produced excruciating pain, he was finally able to insert the needle. His injection produced residual pain that rivaled my pre-injection pain. Prior to my departure, I filed a complaint that documented the aforementioned events. I added that, in the 20 minutes Dr. Fithian had spent to avoid providing the service for which I had paid, he had ample time to provide the service.I added that Dr. Fithian had instructed his clerk to violate HIPAA by holding medical conferences in his crowded waiting area. I added that Dr. Fithian lied about his important meeting and that no ethical physician would ever refuse to provide relief to a patient in severe pain, especially when he had agreed to provide it and the patient had paid for his services.In addition to violating HIPAA, Dr. Fithian violated the False Claims Act in that he provided not only worthless services, but also caused a patient to be harmed by an inferior level of care. Other patients have notified me that Dr. Fithian has harmed them. Dr. Fithians misconduct and license to abuse patients is embedded in the mindset of Kaiser-San Diegos Orthopedics Department, the Permanente Medical Group, and the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, unjustly enriching Kaiser and the Southern California Permanente Medical Group by defrauding Medicare and Medicaid. Kaiser-San Diegos Orthopedics Department is a cut and dump, car wash health care system. Patients are not treated as individuals, but must conform to mass medicine cost cutting.

|  knee replacement  |  show details
Jul 29th, 2011

This is the second knee that I have had replaced. The left one 2 years ago. the right one 1 week ago today. No two are a like. Thank Gode for a doctor like Dr. Fithian who understands the range of pain one may experience while healling. And that one pill does not work on everyone. Everyday is better. I don't ever want to go through this again but if I did I would want this doctor!

|  Pleased  |  show details
Nov 6th, 2009

Had ACL reconstruction surgery. Went well. Still recovering with physical therapy, etc.Dr. Fithian is very courteous and efficient.

|  THE BEST DOCTOR EVER  |  show details
Oct 16th, 2009

I had a ACL surgery on july 27, 2009 and Dr. Fithian did my surgery. He was very professional and courteous. In the appointments prior to the surgery he took time to talk to me, as much as I needed to feel comfortable and answer my questions and concerns.I strongly recommend him to anyone who needs the surgery.HE IS THE BEST

|  KNEE REPLACEMENT PATIENT  |  show details
Oct 14th, 2009

THIS DOCTOR WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME BY A FORMER PATIENT. HE WAS SAID TO BE A VERY GOOD SURGEON. ON AUGUST 12,2009 DR. FITHIAN DID A KNEE REPLACEMENT ON MY LEFT LEG. MY SUGERY WAS SO MUCH EASIER THAN I HAD EXPECTED. DR. FITHIAN IS AN EXCELLENT DOCTOR AND HAS GIVEN ME MY LIFE BACK. I AM ABLE TO DO THINGS I HAD NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO FOR SEVERAL YEARS. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE WITH KAISER WHO NEEDS A KNEE REPLACEMENT. HE IS THE BEST.