Orthopaedic Surgeon
19701 Vernier Rd
Ste 150
Harper Woods, MI 48225
313-881-4900
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

• Currently 2.4827586206897 of 4 stars
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  I Would Not Recommend Dr. Donald Garver To Anyone!  |  show details
Jul 19th, 2014

Dr. Donald Garver is quick to take his patients to the operating room without trying any conservative treatment or proper workup.I did not have a very good experience at all with him. He performed a few surgeries on me in a very short time that were poorly performed. His operative reports were poorly dictated. He is not a very good surgeon at all. This man needs to retire, before he disables more patients permanently. I would never recommend anyone to his orthopedic practice to see him or his partners at all. I also agree with the reviewer below too, he does a lot of unnecessary surgeries and is quick to take a patient to the OR, and has quite the reputation for redo surgeries performed by him. I also agree with the reviewer below. Dr. Garver needs to hang up the scalpel and retire . My surgeon that fixed Garver's mess was quick to tell me about Dr. Garver's subpar work in the operating room and his reputation of poor results. This man is a true nightmare of a surgeon!

|  Former Patient!  |  show details
Jun 18th, 2014

I was a former patient of Dr. Donald Garver, and I must say I did not have a very good experience at all with him. He did quite a few surgeries on me that have changed my life immensely! He is a nice man, but a not a very good surgeon at all. It took a nationally renowned surgeon to fix his mess. I would never recommend anyone to his orthopedic practice to see him or his partners at all. I also agree with the reviewer below too, he does a lot of unnecessary surgeries and is quick to take a patient to the OR, and has quite the reputation for redo surgeries performed by him. I also agree with the reviewer below, it's time for Dr. Garver to hang up the scalpel and retire. There are some fabulous orthopedic surgeons out there, but Dr. Garver is not one of them at all. Do your research!

|  Patient (1995-2001); Review in Retrospect  |  show details
by Jennifer Lewandowski on Jun 14th, 2014

The most important part about being a patient of the healthcare system in this country is what one is able to realize in retrospect regarding the character and the wellness of medical professionals. At the age of 10 (in 1995), I was diagnosed with scoliosis, curvature of the spine, and I required bracing from the ages of 10 to 16 years (2001). I also had an xray every six months to determine progression of the curve. Secondary to my experience as a patient, I eventually decided to go to medical school in Upstate New York, a superior location of medical education compared to the state of Michigan or to the state of Ohio. I did not complete residency training (Internal Medicine and then in Pathology) in entirety as I realized the healthcare realm was not the right choice for me as I refuse to settle in terms of geographic location for residency training with subsequent practice. There are many different types of physicians and of healthcare professionals in this country with a geographic segregation according to the ACGME competencies, physician wellness, and health. The most superior medical training is at academic medical centers of the northeast. The most medically knowledgeable and well physicians stay at such large academic medical centers of the northeast on staff. After being in the context of such phenomenal individuals of the northeast, I realized that I would never settle as a physician if my mental capacity did not satisfy the standards that I set very highly for patient care in this country. In retrospect, after having been in the Northeast, I started to think of the medical experience as a patient. Some physicians have an ill eye contact toward their patients, quite unhealthy compared to the Northeast. Donald Garver is of such a regard, particularly when he called me 'kid', and stated, "Come to see me [him] before having kids" in the time I had received bracing treatment for scoliosis between the ages of 10 and 16 years of age. There is a subconscious, unconscious, or perhaps even conscious reason for that statement when reflecting in retrospect, and such a statement is of ambiguity. I did not realize the grossness of that comment until my phenomenal partial residency training in Pathology at the University of Massachusetts (2011-2012). Similarly, and grossly enough, John Knapp, a former gynecologist, also called me 'kid'. Again, I did not realize the grossness of such until my phenomenal partial residency training in the Northeast.

|  new patient  |  show details
by Pat Terbrueggen on Dec 17th, 2013

Dr. Donald Garver was very professional. He was down to earth and easy to talk to. He asked many important questions and operates with common sense. He is very likeable. I would recommend him to my family and friends.

|  Knee Surgery  |  show details
by Gary H on Sep 6th, 2013

Both knee replacement over the last 6 years no problems.

by jeanine carrier on Jul 1st, 2013

dr Garver takes the time to talk and explain everything. I had a great experience with my surgery that I made my next surgery date. he even came in on the week end to see me after my surgery

Mar 4th, 2013

Not only is his bed side manner non-existent he is a terrible surgeon. He took an perfectly good, hard working man and rendered him disabled from his 2 botched knee replacement surgeries. He put the wrong size in the first time and probably knew it. He went back in 6 months later to find out why the clip came loose. He told me that he had to take a little off both sides of the prosthesis and replace cement. One year after my husband's second surgery he never even tried to find out what the problem was. He just told him that he can never work again and that it will take a good 2 years to feel better. Really? After seeing 2 different doctors they couldn't believe that Garver never took x-rays to find out what the problem was. We, too, found a doctor that 'fixes' all his mistakes and went in and replaced all the mistakes he made. My husband had bleeding inside his knee from all the irritation the wrong size prosthesis was causing. Our new doctor had to clean up 2 layers of cement so the metal would actually adhere to the bone. My husband had told Garver for months that he felt like it was moving inside there. He never believed him. This man is DANGEROUS and needs to retire before he damages other people. I beg everyone to please do research before going to this man. There are so many great doctor out there. He's NOT one of them.

|  Awsome  |  show details
Oct 19th, 2012

Dr. Donald Garver is one of the kindest Drs I have ever seen in all of my years of going to him and it has been a while, he takes the time to listen to you and your complaints and he explains things in context to where you understand. All in All Dr. Garver is the Best.

|  Very caring surgeon!  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2012

I love this surgeon! I had ACL reconstruction. He did not rush me into surgery he gave me an option to wait. He gives me the impression that he only wants what is best for his patients. He took the time to go over my MRI and showed me the tear. Even though the wait is long to see him, once he comes in the room he apologizes and his true care and concern for my well being is well worth it. He is the professional and knows what is best. He didn't seem money hungry to me. His attitude is very warm and sincere. I don't know about the negative responses bur I know doctors hate on each other and Garver knows his stuff!

Sep 7th, 2012

I brought my neice to see Dr. Garver, for an injury that had been evaulated by an urgent care setting. Dr. Garver was very complete with his exam and treatment plan. My neice who is just entering into the medical field felt very good about how he answered her questions, even taking the time to diagram the problem so that she could have a complete understanding of the condition. The staff was very polite, and helpful not only to my neice, but I was able to observe how other patients were handled while I waited for her.

|  Horrible  |  show details
May 21st, 2012

Garver cheduled a second operation on my son's knee for a non-existent problem(as confirmed by another physician.) He couldn't give me a good reason as to why he hadn't fixed everything while he was in there, instead of wanting to wait a few months and going in again. So, I went for a second opinion and Dr. Garver would not release the medical records. The new doctor told me that he often has to clean up Dr. Garver's "messes" and that I should tell them I'll send a lawyer over to get my records if they don't give them to me immediately. When I went to get them, Dr. Garver came out into the waiting room and started yelling at me for not 'trusting" him---I'm talking bright red face and veins bulging. I told him I was merely getting a second opinion and he shoved the medical records at me and stormed out. I was shaking. When the new doctor looked at the surgical report Garver had written, he said it looked like it had been written by a high school student. He also said the MRI showed the ACL was perfectly fine---Garver wanted to "fix" it in a second operation. He gives off a vibe that he is a god and you are dirt---he never even acknowledged my presence when I brought my son in for his first appointment. My experience (and I personally know of others) was that he is either incompetent or knowingly schedules people for extra operations. On a personal level, he behaved horribly---very unprofessional and nasty.

|  Get A Second Opinion!  |  show details
Feb 16th, 2011

He is notorious for botched surgeries and has the nickname at St. John's Hospital as Garver the Carver for all his redo surgeries. I'm a victim of a botched surgery by Dr. Garver and it has not been fun at all. It's time for this man to retire.He's all about making money and has terrible bed side manners, and when it come to a diagnosis, oh boy, he loves surgery. He treats the nursing staff terribly too like you're wasting his time.

|  scammer/rude  |  show details
by john on Jul 18th, 2010

i agree with reviewer #8, he is rude & says things that are not relevent to what your going in thier for. He aks as if he was doing you a favor & has even misdiagnoised me & i too had to have surgery & went to someone else & my surgery was more traumatic & intense than he had told me. i would not recommend him to anyone.

Sep 25th, 2009

I found Dr. Garver very professional and thorough in his diagnosis, followed by very successful surgery. He was most caring and compassionate during his visits afterwards. I would highly recommend him and have done so on many occasions.In response to the disgruntled patient, I feel that the doctor perhaps was attempting a less invasive surgery to cure the problem and was hoping that the first surgery would have been sufficient. No doctor can predict the outcome of every surgery but certainly does all he can to help the patient. I don't feel Dr. Garver is "money hungry" as was stated by a previous patient. On the contrary, he was probably trying to save him money by attempting a lesser invasive surgery with the hope that it would be sufficient.

Apr 20th, 2009

This guy is all about making money. He knew that I had further damage to my knee before performing surgery, but yet only went in for exploratory (even though he said he was fixing it). Due to the fact that I have excellent insurance, dr. garver felt he could make money off of me by performing a second surgery. Who wants to go under more than once and take a risk? He is rude and acts as if you are wasting his time. I just had a second surgery, but with a different physician. I wouldn't recommend Dr. Garver to my worst enemy!