Dr. Donald Mccain MD, PHD Patient Reviews

3.9

• Good
  • Bad

February 9th, 2016
A blessing to medicine and all in his path.
Dr Mccain demonstrated in the most humble way an incredible amount of confidence and superior knowledge. He spoke with clarity and comfort showing how sure he was of being able to perform a successful surgery leading to an excellent health prognosis. Truly he made our family feel as if we were old friends and never spoke to us as if he was above us as many doctors do. Without a doubt his #1 gift is his intelligence and skill as a surgeon but that matched with a humble heart makes him a dream come true and a rare species in the medical field. To put the icing on the cake he is an animal lover and LOVES dogs!

November 15th, 2015
Dr McCain is incredibly knowledgable and seems to work consciously thinking of the patients best interest. He was very humble and kind. After reading about his past surgeries it is clear that this doctor has a gift and is a blessing to the medical field. I would have preferred if he spent just a little more time with us at our visits but I he did answer all our questions and I can understand that he is very busy. He is very confident in his work but is not like many doctors that talk down to you or make you feel like they know it all and you are ignorant. I recommend him forever and am so grateful we found him for my mom's surgery.

November 4th, 2014
PROS AND CONS
After first consultation was confident in my decision. Although Dr. McCain was professional, knowledgable and had a great bedside manner, his assistant lacked compassion and made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Cancer was successfully removed but experienced complications and follow-up was unacceptable.

September 3rd, 2014
DOCTOR WELL QUALIFIED - DISAPPOINTED WITH ASSISTANT AND FOLLOW-UP
Dr. McCain is professional, knowledgeable and has a good bedside manner. His assistant was very cold; never smiled nor showed no.compassion. She made me feel extremely uncomfortable. Complications do happen, but send me pictures on your phone and I will see you in a few weeks is totally unacceptable. In addition, I feel there should always be a back-up doctor instead of having to go to the hospital in case of emergencies.

February 14th, 2014
Surgery
I would never use Dr. McCain again. His office staff is unprofessional and undermining especially when it comes to your insurance. They misled me from my first phone call to make apt. until after surgery. Procedure was to be easy, yet Dr. claimed it to be more difficult than anticipated and the costs were unbelievable. Do your research before using this Doctor

October 22nd, 2013
Compassionate and Incredible Surgeon
The office staff was amazing, as well as Dr. McCain. His bedside manners and ease of explanation reassured me that I would be okay. I hope I never have to have surgery again, but if I do I would definitely choose Dr. McCain.

February 2nd, 2013
the very best
dr mc cain removed my enormous spleen....i needed no pain medication afterwards and everything related to the surgery went perfectly. i feel fortunate that such a wonderful doctor was available to me.

October 25th, 2012
BEWARE - Liver resection patients
I walked out 5 minutes before surgery began on my liver. I was uncomfortable with Dr. McCain's explaination on the day of surgury, which was much different than the office visit. Fortunatly, after second opinions by THREE major NYC hospitals, all concured that I would NOT HAVE SURVIVED that procedure. Please do your research. The hospital that he had his residency in, would not hire him. For good reasons....I now believe!!! Please, get second opinions if a resection of your liver is diagosed! I'm alive today because I walked out!

September 16th, 2012
dr. mc cain is as credentialed as a doctor can be viz. his office wall...i am sure he is in great demand...and i do not mind waiting when i have been accepted as a patient by such an exalted doctor. he was aware of my case from the referring doctor and from the records i forwarded to him....he comforted me by relating a comparable case which seemed much worse than mine that he dealt with...i feel fortunate that i have access to such a highly regarded and kind man.

May 28th, 2017