Botched rhinoplasty show details Botched rhinoplasty
Jul 19th, 2016

I visited Dr. Harnick's office during the prime of my life when I naturally looked my best with the only thing holding me back or having me feel self-conscious was a nose too long and out of proportion to my small face and features, and some obvious broken capillaries/blood vessels in the visible area of the nostrils. I learned of Dr. Harnick through a gym where I used to workout and some models who also worked out there. I have no idea if they received complimentary care from Dr. Harnick in exchange for their leads or if they themselves had any procedures done by this doctor. They told me to go to Dr. Harnick. What they failed to tell me was that he was NOT board certified and did not graduate from an American medical school, he was simply affiliated with some of the top hospitals in NYC. The wording at his website at the time and the prominent hospitals to which he has an affiliation (whatever that means), and the impressive property where his office had been located which at the time happened to be the same address as the office of an internationally prominent and renowned cosmetic surgeon, all provided a misleading impression. I was so unbelievably psyched when I went in for my surgery. During the surgery under local anesthesia, I even heard the surgical nurse who assisted him suggest that he take down a bit more, but he disregarded what she had to say. She had referred to the side that has the bump which was supposed to be some kind of "optical illusion" that he has mentioned in the consultation as a means to make the nose look smaller, but in fact there is no illusion, it just resembles a bump! After the rhinoplasty, my nose was swollen for far longer than was suggested as the amount of time it would take to heal and it also looked crooked. I started to avoid mirrors, and dismissing what I could see, a swollen and crooked nose anytime I did see my reflection. In my post-surgical visits to his office, Dr. Harnick deliberately did not take photos of the front or right side views which would have shown that the nose looked crooked and swollen and as if there was a bump on the side and profile. He had only taken a photo from the most flattering angle. On this note, I had flattering angles before the nose job!! The point of the rhinoplasty was to feel natural and comfortable, that I could smile freely from any angle and feel beautiful. Many, many years later when the swelling finally seemed to sufficiently come down due to aging (we lose fat in the face with age) and creams meant to diminish fat and swelling, I was left with an obvious bump on my profile and a crooked look to my nose with uneven, too large nostrils. The only thing which somewhat improved it was nose reshapers and face yoga. The front view no longer looks crooked as a result, but the nostrils are still asymmetrical and when smiling flare in a way which is unflattering at the front and profile views, there's excess visible cartilage in the right nostril, there's an obvious bump on the right side of the nose, and a bump on the profile that returns within hours of face yoga, all of which have occurred as a result of the surgery by Dr. Harnick. Instead of correcting the problems with my nose, the point of cosmetic surgery, I was left with another set of problems in their place. What's worse is that at least before the surgery it would seem as if I was comfortable in my own skin to embrace my nose rather than have surgery, but for people to be able to tell that you had surgery, suggest that you went to the wrong doctor, and you need to get it fixed, is just downright embarrassing. The method Dr. Harnick used to treat the broken capillaries visible at the nostril area did not take at all, and when I had refused to pay for this specific procedure, he replied, "I did the procedure." Dr. Harnick did offer to redo my nose if I was willing to pay for the operating room costs and the treatment that didn't not work to eliminate the broken blood vessels. This didn't seem fair or just to me since the rhinoplasty and treatment for the blood vessels had not been done right in the first place. The supposed "optical illusion" of leaving a bump on my nose in order to have it appear shorter and smaller was not done properly or simply is not an illusion. The bump he created that's supposed to be an illusion is visible and my nose still appears too long and out of proportion. The nostrils are uneven from both front view and when my chin is up, and when I smile, they spread and look even worse where excess cartilage is visible at the front and the nostril is too wide on one side. I didn't have any such issues before the surgery. My issue was a nose that was very straight which emphasized it's length and projection on my small face against my delicate features. I had consulted with other surgeons before and after having the rhinoplasty and they said that the aesthetic concerns I had regarding my nose were considered common in rhinoplasty and could be fixed. A host of reality tv shows exposing top surgeons in the US has made the subject of cosmetic surgery much more widespread and the work of renowned cosmetic surgeons clear. Perhaps Dr. Harnick can provide a reasonable repair for someone who has a hole in his nose due to coke, but that was not my situation. My concerns were related to common cosmetic concerns related to a more ethnic looking nose. Anyone who schedules cosmetic surgeries and watches reality tv knows that the point of a cosmetic surgery is to have your nose look natural, but more like Middle America than identifiable with any particular ethnicity. I had hoped to be comfortable in front of the camera for broadcast journalism, on the red carpet, and for charitable, social, and professional events. My nose doesn't look right in the mirror when posing, so how on earth can it look right in any of these high profile situations? A pretty girl paid thousands for aesthetic rhinoplasty due to vanity reflective of our society, particular industries and social circles. Dr. Harnick failed.

I am now very please with my nose. Correcting negative review. show details I am now very please with my nose. Correcting negative review.
May 3rd, 2016

I previously wrote a bad review...because after my rhino I was not happy with the results. I didn't feel he did what I asked and it didn't appear that way. Now, about 4 years later my nose is finally looking nice. I have learned some of my own health issues which I feel interfered with my healing. I have a dairy allergy and it causes puffiness in my eyes, nose, and mouth. I had no clue for my entire life. I went raw vegan for health reasons and my nose shrank significantly that same week. I could see that Dr. Harnick did in fact do a great job on my nose. In addition to the allergy my nose was chronically red which made it look quite big. I couldn't find a concealer to cover that redness...it has been red my whole life probably due to the allergy. When I cover the redness I can see the true size of my nose and he did a really nice job. I feel bad about my negative review, but so happy I now can right an excellent one for him.

Rhinoplasty - nose job show details Rhinoplasty - nose job
by VA on Mar 11th, 2015

Dr. Harnick did a wonderful job on my nose. I had consulted few plastic surgeons and am so glad I choose him. I got natural results and am very pleased with my surgery and the fillers he does. He is very talented, honest and has great bedside manner. I would recommend him to anyone!

A show details A
Mar 2nd, 2015

Dr Harnick, was amazing with me... his hands are gold . Dr Harnick is an artist and made my nose perfect. i look great and everyone says how great i look i am so happy and would recommend him over and over again thank you

Dec 17th, 2014

Very personable. I am only 2 days post-op but so far, everything looks good.

Rhinoplasty show details Rhinoplasty
Oct 27th, 2014

He is not a Dr. to go to for rhinoplasty. He did whatever HE wanted to do to my nose without correcting the 1 thing I asked him to correct. I do NOT smile anymore because I HATE the way I look when I smile now. HE charged $9,000 and did not do what I asked of him whatsoever. This is NO exaggeration. He has great bedside manner and his office is nice and staff very friendly. But I will take a rude doctor and rude staff in order to get what I asked for. Versus a loss of $9,000 and an ugly nose. I give him a 1. Because at least I look okay not smiling.

Misleading assessment and followup care show details Misleading assessment and followup care
Jun 19th, 2013

Dr. Harnick performed a primary rhinoplasty on me which had been undertaken to shorten the nose, make the tip and structure more feminine and in proportion to my small, narrow face and bone structure. My nose had been naturally super straight before the surgery and Dr. Harnick even asked if I ever had nasal surgery before. The answer is no. After the rhinoplasty I had been left with excessive swelling at the tip. Since I wasn't around others who had surgery I didn't know what to expect. The doctor asked me to b patient, but the swelling just wasn't subsiding. I called and returned to his office to express my concerns. Instead of considering that perhaps something went wrong with the surgery, he again asked me to be patient and he avoided taking photos of the front view and right sides of the nose which revealed a crooked front and side views. he only had taken a photo of the one angle on the left side to make my nose appear cute. It took years for the swelling to subside to realize that my nose appeared crooked, that there appeared to be a bump on the right side and profile, and that my nostrils appeared uneven. Instead of fixing the issues for which I had scheduled the surgery, he traded a host of other issues. Dr. Harnick called the bump on my nose an "optical illusion" implying that it was meant to make the nose look shorter and when I pointed out the unevenness of the nostrils from the front and underside and a bone at the tip being visible from the side and the tip appearing awkward, Dr. Harnick again blamed it on swelling, and that everyone's nose looks funny when they smile, and that I didn't notice my nostrils before because my tip was not lifted. ??? What am I missing here? Wasn't the point of COSMETIC surgery to treat cosmetic issues so that they would not be a concern and I'd be happy with my nose, because it's aesthitcally pleasing and in proportion to the rest of the features on my face? From my experience, if you visit Dr. Harnick, you will receive a ton of excuses. In addition, Dr. Harnick asked me to NOT visit any other surgeons to ask for their opinion on the surgery. What did he have to hide if he had done a proper surgery? was very naive at the time, but I now question whether he even has the proper education to perform cosmetic rhinoplasty in the US. The doctor is not board certified, and this was never mentioned to me. Dr. Harnick has supposedly practiced for over 30 years, but he is still not board certified. This must say it all. Unfortunately I was young and naive and believed in strangers when they lead me to his office. I had never seen their before and afters and didn't realize until way after the fact that th photos at his website were outdated and old and that he only takes photos from the most flattering angles, rather than both left and right profiles to provide an objective overview. Dr. Harnick took my money and left me with a nose that requires another surgery. I've been advised that secondary surgery is always more complicated and at this stage I should only see the best surgeon to have a positive outcome. Dr. Harnick claimed to not have the liability coverage to cover it. Dr. Harnick offered a followup surgery if I was willing to pay the costs of the OR and anesthesia. If you had such an experience, would you think it right to pay the doctor again for botching the surgery in the first place, rather than be issued a complete refund and damages for the emotional distress and botched surgery? Would your cosmetic care to such a doctor again?