Surgical Specialist, Plastic Surgery Specialist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
 |  show details
Dec 17th, 2014

Very personable. I am only 2 days post-op but so far, everything looks good.

|  Rhinoplasty  |  show details
Oct 27th, 2014

He is not a Dr. to go to for rhinoplasty. He did whatever HE wanted to do to my nose without correcting the 1 thing I asked him to correct. I do NOT smile anymore because I HATE the way I look when I smile now. HE charged $9,000 and did not do what I asked of him whatsoever. This is NO exaggeration. He has great bedside manner and his office is nice and staff very friendly. But I will take a rude doctor and rude staff in order to get what I asked for. Versus a loss of $9,000 and an ugly nose. I give him a 1. Because at least I look okay not smiling.

|  Misleading assessment and followup care  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2013

Dr. Harnick performed a primary rhinoplasty on me which had been undertaken to shorten the nose, make the tip and structure more feminine and in proportion to my small, narrow face and bone structure. My nose had been naturally super straight before the surgery and Dr. Harnick even asked if I ever had nasal surgery before. The answer is no. After the rhinoplasty I had been left with excessive swelling at the tip. Since I wasn't around others who had surgery I didn't know what to expect. The doctor asked me to b patient, but the swelling just wasn't subsiding. I called and returned to his office to express my concerns. Instead of considering that perhaps something went wrong with the surgery, he again asked me to be patient and he avoided taking photos of the front view and right sides of the nose which revealed a crooked front and side views. he only had taken a photo of the one angle on the left side to make my nose appear cute. It took years for the swelling to subside to realize that my nose appeared crooked, that there appeared to be a bump on the right side and profile, and that my nostrils appeared uneven. Instead of fixing the issues for which I had scheduled the surgery, he traded a host of other issues. Dr. Harnick called the bump on my nose an "optical illusion" implying that it was meant to make the nose look shorter and when I pointed out the unevenness of the nostrils from the front and underside and a bone at the tip being visible from the side and the tip appearing awkward, Dr. Harnick again blamed it on swelling, and that everyone's nose looks funny when they smile, and that I didn't notice my nostrils before because my tip was not lifted. ??? What am I missing here? Wasn't the point of COSMETIC surgery to treat cosmetic issues so that they would not be a concern and I'd be happy with my nose, because it's aesthitcally pleasing and in proportion to the rest of the features on my face? From my experience, if you visit Dr. Harnick, you will receive a ton of excuses. In addition, Dr. Harnick asked me to NOT visit any other surgeons to ask for their opinion on the surgery. What did he have to hide if he had done a proper surgery? was very naive at the time, but I now question whether he even has the proper education to perform cosmetic rhinoplasty in the US. The doctor is not board certified, and this was never mentioned to me. Dr. Harnick has supposedly practiced for over 30 years, but he is still not board certified. This must say it all. Unfortunately I was young and naive and believed in strangers when they lead me to his office. I had never seen their before and afters and didn't realize until way after the fact that th photos at his website were outdated and old and that he only takes photos from the most flattering angles, rather than both left and right profiles to provide an objective overview. Dr. Harnick took my money and left me with a nose that requires another surgery. I've been advised that secondary surgery is always more complicated and at this stage I should only see the best surgeon to have a positive outcome. Dr. Harnick claimed to not have the liability coverage to cover it. Dr. Harnick offered a followup surgery if I was willing to pay the costs of the OR and anesthesia. If you had such an experience, would you think it right to pay the doctor again for botching the surgery in the first place, rather than be issued a complete refund and damages for the emotional distress and botched surgery? Would your cosmetic care to such a doctor again?

|  Botched rhinoplasty  |  show details
Mar 22nd, 2013

Pardon the earlier typos, the site doesn't provide an edit tab. I'd like to add that Dr. Harnick has not changed the content of his website since he had it first created many years ago. There's even a photo of a cosmetic rhinoplasty patient where there's a deliberate bump on the side of his nose which is supposed to be an example of an optical illusion which is not fully healed.. but there's no followup. It's an example of inferior cosmetic sugery. You also don't see any of the patients smiling so you haev no idea if he tended to their nostrils if it was necessary. I visited Dr. Harnick's office during the prime of my life when I naturally looked my best with the only thing holding me backand having me feel self-conscious was a nose too long and out of proportion to my small face and features, and some obvious broken capillaries/blood vessels in the visible area of the nostrils. I learned of Dr. Harnick through a gym where I used to workout and some models who also worked out there. I have no idea if they received complimentary care from Dr. Harnick in exchange for their leads, or if they themselves had any procedures done by this doctor. They told me to go to Dr. Harnick. What they failed to tell me was that he was NOT board certified and had NOT graduated from an American medical school, (perhaps they didn't evern know), he is simply affiliated with some major hospitals in NYC. The content and wording at his website, the major NY hospitals with which he has an affiliation (whatever that means), and the impressive property where his office is located, were all misleading. I was so unbelievably psyched on he day of my surgery. While under local anesthesia, the surgical nurse who'd assisted emphatically suggested that he "take down more", but he disregarded what she had to say. After the rhinoplasty, my nose was incredibly swollen for far longer than had been suggested as the amount of time it would take to heal and it also looked extremely crooked. In the followup appts, Dr. Harnick deliberately did not take photos of the front or right side views which would have shown that the nose looked crooked, swollen and as if there was a bumpiness on the top of the nose and on the extreme right profile. He had only taken a photo from the most flattering angle of the left side. On this note, I had flattering angles before my nose job!! The point of my nose job was for me to be natural and comfortable, that I could smile from any angle and feel at ease versus self-conscious. Many, many years later when the swelling finally seemed to sufficiently come down to allow me to adequately assess the cosmetic surgery of Dr. Harnick, I was left with a bump on my profile and a crooked look to my nose with uneven, too large nostrils. Instead of correcting the problems with my nose, the point of cosmetic surgery, I had been left with a host of other problems. What's worse is that at least before the surgery it would seem as if I was comfortable in my own skin to embrace my nose rather than have surgery, but for people to be able to tell that you had surgery, and suggest that you went to the wrong doctor, and you need to get it fixed, is just downright embarrassing. The procedure Dr. Harnick used to eliminate the broken blood vessels visible at the nostril area, did not take, and when I had refused to pay for the procedure, he said, "But I provided the treatment". Dr. Harnick did offer to redo my nose if I was willing to pay for the operating room costs and the cost of the treatment that didn't not work to eliminate the broken blood vessels, but this didn't seem eethical or right to me since the rhinoplasty and treatment for the blood vessels had not been done right in the first place. The supposed "optical illusion" of creating a bump on my nose (naturally too long and straight and free of any bump) in order to have it appear shorter and smaller, was not done properly or simply is not a as successful illusion. The bump is visible, and my nose still appears too long and out of proportion for my face. The tip is too bulbous and not feminine, the nostrils are uneven from both front view and when my chin is up, and there's a hanging columella to my nose that makes my nose appear longer, rather than treating this portion of the tip to make it more dainty and feminine, to trum the nostrils and shorten the length of the nose. When I am supine and sideways the nasal tip looks as if its collapsed. When I smile the nostrils spread and look even worse from both the side and front, clearly uneven and out of proportion. When I had expressed these concerns to Dr. Harnick, he made a funny face and said that everyone's nose looks funny when smiling!!! I beg to differ. Women don't get cosmetic rhinoplasty to have a droopy tip or flared and crooked nostrils. The suggestion that any of it is acceptable is just absurd and makes me question whether he should even be permitted to handle the followup surgery even if he offers it on the house!! I had consulted with other surgeons before and after scheduling the cosmetic rhinoplasty and the Board ceritified surgeons all said that the aesthetic concerns I had regarding my nose were considered commonplace and not out of the ordinary and could be fixed. Since I had the surgery, a host of reality tv shows exposing top surgeons in the US has made the subject of cosmetic surgery much more widespread and the work of renowned cosmetic surgeons clear. I am now able to be much more empowered. Perhaps due to his training in ear, nose and throat, Dr. Harnick can provide an acceptable surgery for someone who has a hole in his nose due to cocaine, but this was not my issue. I had sheerly cosmetic concerns, but now after the surgery I'm not even sure that I am breathing optimally. I actually think the surgery may have resulted in a deviated septum. My concerns were and are purely cosmetic as a result of a nose which appeared more ethnic in appearance and out of proportion to my face once I reached my late teens. Anyone who considers cosmetic surgery has been exposed to the commercial media, tv, and magazines or an agent in the fields of entertainment and broadcast journalism, and knows that the point of a cosmetic surgery is to have your nose look natural, but more representative of Middle America than identifiable with any particular ethnicity. This is the powerful message that is sent from the media which plays a very prominent role in our society and the way we think. There's also an emphasis on symmetry as it relates to beauty. Cosmetic surgery is meant to empower when everything else is in order, and along the lines of "you look good, you feel good". Studies have even shown that the reason why models are chosen is for their symmetrical features, and when people are given photos of anonymous strangers, those selected as the most attractive have symmetrial, proportionate features. I had hoped to be comfortable in front of the camera whether for broadcast journalism, on the red carpet, and for charitable, social, and professional events. My nose doesn't look right in the mirror when posing, so how on earth can it look right in any of these high profile situations? A pretty girl pays thousands for cosmetic rhinoplasty for reasons of vanity which are reflective of our society, and particular industries and social circles, not just for the heck of it. When I ahd expressed my dissatisfaction to Dr. Harnick and suggest that he must have insurance coverage to cover the cost of any followup surgery required to correct the problems Dr. Harnick failed me.

|  Botched rhonoplasty  |  show details
by AL on Feb 16th, 2013

I visited Dr. Harnick's office during the prime of my life when I naturally looked my best with the only thing holding me back or having me feel self-conscious was a nose too long and out of proportion to my small face and features, and some obvious broken capillaries/blood vessels in the visible area of the nostrils. I learned of Dr. Harnick through a gym where I used to workout and some models who also worked out there. I have no idea if they received complimentary care from Dr. Harnick in exchange for their leads, of if they themselves had any procedures done by this doctor. They told me to go to Dr. Harnick. What they failed to tell me was that he was NOT board certified and did not graduate from a an American medical school, he was simply affiliated with some of the top hospitals in NYC. The wording at his website, the renowned hospitals where he is affiliated (whatever that means), and the impressive property where his office is located, were all misleading. I was so unbelievably psyched when I went in for my surgery. I heard the surigcal nurse who assisted suggest that he take down a bit more, but he disregarded what she had to say. After the rhonoplasty, my nose was swollen for far longer than was suggested as the amount of time it would take to heal and it also looked crooked. Dr. Harnick deliberately did not take photos of the front or right side views which would have shown that the nose looked crooked, swollen and as if there was a bump on side and profile. He had only takne a photo from the most flattering angle. On this note, I had flattering angles before my nose job!! The point of my nose job was for me to be natural and comfortable, that I could smile from any angle and feel beautiful. Many, many years later when the swelling finally seemed to sufficiently come down, I was left with a bump on my profile and a crooked look to my nose with uneven, too large nostrils. Instead of correcting the problems with my nose, the point of cosmetic surgery, I was left with another host of problems. What was worse is that at least before the surgery it would seem as if I was comfortable in my own skin to embrace my nose rather than have surgery, but for people to be aqble to tell that you had surgery, but suggest that you went to the wrong doctor, and you need to get it fixed, is just downright embarassing. The procedure Dr. Harnick used to eliminate the broken blood vessels visible at the nostril area, did not take, and when I had refused to pay for the procedure, he said, but I provided the treatment. Dr. Harnick did offer to redo my nose if I was willing to pay for the operating rm costs and the cost of the treatment that didn't not work to eliminate the broken blood vessels, but this didn't seem right to me since the rhinoplasty and treatment for the blood vessels had not been done right in the first place. The supposed "optical illusion" of leaving a bump on my nose in order to have it appear shorter and smaller was not done properly or simply is not an illusion. The bump is visible, and my nose still appears too long and out of proportion for my face. The nostrils are uneven from both front view and when my chin is up when the nostrils are visible, and when I smile, they spread and look even worse. I had consulted with other surgeons before and after going in for the rhonoplasty and they said that the aesthetic concerns I had regarding my nose were considered commonplace and not out of the oridinary and could be fixed. A host of reality tv shows exposing top surgeons in the US has made the subject of cosmetic surgery much more widespread and the work of renowned cosmetic surgeons clear. Perhaps Dr. Harnick can provide a reasonable surgery for someone who has a hole in his nose due to coke, but these were not my issues. My issues were as a result of common aspects of a more ethnic nose. Anyone who goes in for cosmetic surgeries and watches reality tv knows that the point of a cosmetic surgery is to have your nose look natural but more like Middle America than identifiable with any particular ethnicity. I had hoped to be comfortable in front of the camera whether for broadcast journalism, on the red carpet, and for charitable, social, and professional events. My nose doesn't look right in the mirror when posing, so how on earth can it look right in any of these high profile situations? A pretty girl pays thousands for cosmetic rhinoplasty for reasons of vanity which are reflective of our society, and particular indsutries and social circles. Dr. Harnick failed me.

|  show details
by operalatte on Jun 13th, 2007 on citysearch.com

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  botox  |  show details
by operalatte at Citysearch on Jun 13th, 2007 on citysearch.com

I went to Dr Harnick a while ago for Botox injections for my forehead. I had checked out every website, etc. and I was overwhelmed with options but no real comfort. I met a girl who worked at a laser center in town and asked her what she did to look so incredibly young, and she told me that she did Botox. I never would have guessed, because her expressions were all there! I asked for the name of the doctor she used and made an appointment. Dr Harnick was very informative and took his time explaining everything to me and listening to what I wanted. I felt extremely comfortable and knew I was making the right choice. My facial expressions remained intact, and I was very pleased with his work. I will definitely go back!! What I found so comforting was that he really gave you his time. It was not some brush-off routine visit like most NY Doctor experiences. I highly recommend Dr Harnick for Botox injections!

Read Full Review at citysearch.com