Dr. Dorothea Altschul, MD
Neurologist
Doctor's site

Wonderful Doctor and a even better person show details Wonderful Doctor and a even better person
by David Arabia on Jan 28th, 2015

Dr Altschul took over my care this year. I previously had brain surgery for a large aneurysm 15 years ago at Columbia Pres. I suffer from seizures still to this day. I was told i had another Aneurysm by another neurologist after my 15 year check up via a new Mri Scan. My Brain Surgeons recommended Dr Altschul and told me to see her for a second opinion and further testing, they told me she is the best and that speaks volumes when you hear this from the best surgeons in the world. After my consult with her I felt very comfortable with her she explained more to me in 1 hour about my condition than my neurologist explained in 15 years. She was so knowledgeable and explained things in a precise yet understandable way. I learned that there have been so many advances in treating my illness and Dr Altschul was at the leading edge of this technology. She did all my tests and i am fine there is no new Aneurysm. I cant express my gratitude enough I would trust her with my life. Anyone that needs this type of care you cant do any better..

by Zen P. on Dec 7th, 2014

My overall experience with Dr. Aultshul was a very positive one. I would readily recommend Dr. Aultschul to anyone in her special field.

Luck, Fate or Divine Intervention?? show details Luck, Fate or Divine Intervention??
by Eileen Peaty on Dec 5th, 2014

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurism as an incidental finding on a totally unrelated cat-scan. Found Dr. Amazing aka Dr. Altschul online when I tried to educate myself on this devasting news! Most people think the word aneurism and death go hand and hand. I know I did! Well this is my story about how wrong I was! Luck: Finding Dr. Althscul on Vitals! Receiving conformation that she took my insurance! Fate: Imagine what runs through someone's head when you are waiting to see a doctor and make the most important medical decision of your life! I said imagine because I refuse to allow my recovering brain to go to that dark place! Dr. Amazing wouldn't be happy with me. Since, this is a review and not a book on Dr. Altschul I guess I should get to the point! I have had many wonderful experiences with doctors but nothing like this! Brillant, kind, compassionate, serious, extremely humble and by far the best listener I have ever met. Dr. Altshul spent almost 2 hours explaining options, educating and listening to me. Upon walking out of her office, my husband, my sister and myself were not only stunned and amazed but 100 % in agreement that no second opinion was required. This was in July 2014. On August 19, 2014 my life was saved by Dr. Altschul and her staff at Valley Hospital. Although my surgery was a success, I have had many issues and concerns during my healing process. During the last 4 months of this journey, I have contacted Lillian Oyola (Assistant to Dr. Altschul) and Lindsay Belfiore (Nurse for Dr. Altschul) at least 20 times. They have ALWAYS been there for me!! Responsive, timely, kind, smart, courteous and truly vested in my questions and concerns. Bravo to you Dr. Altschul to surround yourself with these wonderful women who like yourself have made me feel like I am your only patient!!!! Your 1st priority!!!! Brilliant just brilliant!! Divine Intervention: When science faith, hope and love all come together that is truly inspiring and amazing!!! So, this being a review and all, I will close by say if you are reading this may Luck, Fate and Divine Intervention be coming your way! Choose Dr. Amazing!!! Oops, I mean Dr. Dorothea Altschul!

THE Best! show details THE Best!
by Laura C. on Nov 30th, 2014

Dr. Altschul is the most compassionate, caring, and wonderful doctor I have ever met. I would recommend her to everyone. She is the best!

Compassionate, caring surgeon show details Compassionate, caring surgeon
Nov 22nd, 2014

I had a wonderful experience with Dr Altschul. She went over every detail regarding my treatment. She takes the time you show you everything and is genuinely interested in your best possible outcome. How refreshing to find a knowledgable, caring surgeon with NO ego. I have and will continue to refer anyone to her that is in need of top notch neurological care. Her staff is extremely helpful as well, which is such a comforting thing when you are experiencing serious illness.

Domestic Engineer show details Domestic Engineer
by Susan Dane on Nov 22nd, 2014

I would tell anyone who needs a Neurological Surgery, that Dorothea Altschul is the one to choose. She was up front with me on all the tests I had done. She told me how involved the surgery would be. Showed me all the pictures of the tests. Told me I could if I wanted to wait three more months to see if the aneurysm is getting bigger or has stayed the same. All of her staff keeps up informed about everything and reminds you of appointments. As a whole you can ask her anything and she sits and answers all of your questions. If I was not such a chicken I would have had her do my surgery already. I am just borrowing some time. She told me if I change my mind she will do it now. She has been watching it closely. I did not know in the beginning if I wanted to go so far from my home, but now I am glad I did. My Husband is also impressed with her.

Nov 21st, 2014

Compassion, and kindness are as great an aide to a physician as is their clinical skills. Dr. Altschul has that rare ability of being able to put your mind at ease with caring and competence. That is something in short supply out there. BTW The office staff is top shelf!

Nov 5th, 2014

Dr. Altschul is the best doctor! She is so knowledgeable and understanding. She explains everything in detail from the diagnosis to the treatment. I highly recommend Dr. Altschul.

by AK on Jun 20th, 2014

Dr. Altschul and her co-workers saved my life by repairing a pretty bad burst brain aneurysm (with clips) and by coiling a bulging blood vessel. I am beyond grateful to be alive and to be able to write and submit this review! Dr. Altschul is the greatest!

A helping hand show details A helping hand
by Lindita K. on Nov 29th, 2013

This past year has not been any easy one. Not only for my father but my family, but as a 15 year old girl having to go through this stressful situation this past year it was good to have hope. My father had a stroke at the age of 52 . It's not easy to have your whole world flipped upside down in a single day. The worst part was not knowing the cause. Not only did Dr. Altschul figure out the cause of his stroke, but gave hope back to my father that he so desperately needed, and peace of mind to our family. She not only diagnosed my father but gave him a fighting chance to get better. I want to thank her for explaining to us everything that happened and listening to us when we felt like we couldn't be heard. So thank you doctor not only did you help my father but helped my family.

by Betsabe R. on May 2nd, 2013

Dr. Altschul is the best neurology in this country. She is very friendly and she likes to take a lot of time with patients explaining you all, also recently she operated me for two aneurysms in Valley Hospital- New Jersey with a new method " Pipeline Embolization Device" and everything went very well. I definitely recommend this doctor, she is very good and has blessed hands.