Dr. Douglas Berv MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

January 21st, 2017
Saved my life
Don't pay attention to the negative reviews. Dr. Berv save my life. After many years of treatment with five other psychiatrists, Dr. Berv made the correct diagnosis, change my medications, and I am better than I have ever been. I could not have gone on feeling as bad as I did.

January 26th, 2016
complete lack of ethics... he does ex parte diagnosis for insurance companies, is on retainer with insurance companies, is paid thousands to lie on behalf of insurance defendants against honest people with cause who have been seriously damaged by defendants. He is not ethical.... HE DOES HARM in exchange for significant fees

December 5th, 2014
Excellent
I have nothing but great things to say about Dr. Berv. He's given me my life back as well as another family member. I'm not sure what these negative reviewers were expecting from a psychiatrist, they don't baby you, they provide medication to balance out your chemistry. Sometimes he's more sociable than others, he's excellent at what he does, that's all that matters to me. I'm not paying him to coddle me, that's what a psychologist or social worker will do, I'm paying him to balance out my mood, which he has successfully done. He has never, ever been rude, short with me, insulting, or rushed me through the appointment. He always gives his patients the time they need. I highly recommend him.

September 17th, 2013
Attorney
Douglas Berv is an outstanding psychiatrist. When I first went to him as a patient, I had paralyzing, painful anxiety. On top of that, I was scraping by through bouts of significant depression, and I was afraid my mania would resurface anytime. I went to Dr. Berv because my previous doctor, one of the foremost experts on bipolar disorders, recommended him. (I was even worse before I saw that expert, and I wasn’t with him for very long because I moved.) After about three months of Dr. Berv’s treatment, my anxiety was under control and my mood was very stable. Dr. Berv had an encyclopedic knowledge of meds and found the right ones at right strength for me very quickly. He ordered blood tests frequently to make sure that my health was safe. He also made himself available to see me often, despite his large number of patients, to check on the progress of my mental health. (Patients were lining up to see him late into the evening.) Dr. Berv also has a gentle and kind demeanor without compromising honesty. It’s easy to feel comfortable in his office and to tell him the truth about what I was going through and what I did or failed to do during tough times. He sympathized with my difficulties and respected me as a person. He also gave me appropriate advice about how to take better care of myself and my life. After 18 months of Dr. Berv’s care, I am typically very stable and reasonably happy, despite not being stably employed. My anxiety hasn’t completely disappeared, but I don’t remember ever being as calm and comfortable in difficult situations as I am now. I am moving again, and I can only hope I can find another doctor like Douglas Berv.

September 14th, 2013
Wonderful
Dr. Berv treats me and my college age son. Before I found Dr. Berv I had been treated for over 20 years by many psychiatrists. Sometimes I felt better, but I never felt well. I had been treated with many medications and hours of psychotherapy. Dr. Berv did an extensive and careful evaluation, asking detailed questions than no one had asked before. He understood me like no prior doctor or therapist. He explained my illness (atypical mood disorder and ADHD) in great detail, he explained why my prior treatment had not worked, and he outlined his treatment plan. He said it could take a long time, but he assured me he could help me. I began feeling a little better the first week, and I was much better within two months. For the first time in 20 years I now feel well. I am so appreciative. I have had some setbacks with side effects along the way, but Dr. Berv has always been there for me. His secretary is especially caring and kind. My phone calls have always been returned promptly. Dr. Berv explained at the first visit that because I was seeing him for medications and not psychotherapy my appointments would be about 15 minutes. They are now relatively brief (10 to 20 minutes), but when I had problems Dr. Berv gave me the time I needed. As he helped me so much I asked Dr. Berv to see my college age son. My son has been doing so much better with Dr. Berv’s treatment. Regarding some of the specifics asked by this website: I waited less than 2 weeks for my first appointment. My son had to wait longer, but I knew it was not urgent and the doctor was going away. The doctor usually sees me within 20 minutes of my appointment time. I have waited longer sometimes, but on a few occasions when I needed more time he gave it to me, making other patients wait. Like I mentioned before, his secretary is wonderful. Dr. Berv is a very caring person, but he is all business. He is more concerned about getting his patients well than commiserating with them. He is empathic, but he is not a hand holder. I highly recommend him.

May 31st, 2013
Labels everybody bipolar,told him do not tolerate mood stabalizers,gave it to me anyway.does not listen to you, I agree with others very smart,but its. His way or nothing. Go some orher than him

November 10th, 2012
So So
Although Dr. Berv is a very intelligent person, and i am sure good in his field I find him to be very insensitive, short with others. He will ask you how you are doing, then cut you off in the middle of your sentence. If i have ever spent 5 minutes in his office talking to him it is a lot. He has nothing more to offer then his prescription pad and a pen for signing your debit card receipt for the visit. I am not even sure anymore if he is the correct MD for me. All the other MD's APRN prior to him were great. They took the time to talk and really figure out what is going on. You'll be lucky if Dr. Berv even picks up his head or turns his chair around to look at you. If you just want someone to write you a prescription and leave then Dr. Berv is for you. Otherwise, find a new Doctor, I think hat is what I will do.

September 13th, 2012
Good and Bad
Dr. Berv is very intelligent, however he is very short and can be interpreted as insensitive and demanding. His bedside manner needs to improve by 100%. He gets frustrated when he has difficulty finding the right meds for you and it can seem as if he is actually getting frustrated with you. He is good at medicine, but not quite with people.

February 9th, 2017