Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat)
Video profile
5 Silverstein Pavilion 3400 Spruce St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
215-662-2777
Locations and availability (3)

Jun 17th, 2014

Dr. Bigelow is a top physician and we are thankful for his knowledge!

|  TOP NOTCH  |  show details
by s. owens on Jan 9th, 2014

I have a long history of ear surgeries and hearing loss. My hearing over the past year has been steadily getting worse. Dr. Bigelow explained to why in great detail and explained to me what he can do. he never made any promises for hearing to be restored, but he also made me fully aware that the surgery was neccesary for more reasons than just for the hearing loss. he did mjor reconstruction in my left ear, ear canal, ear drum masroidectomy and so on. From the first visit to the surgery to follow up visits, he was always concerend and detailed oriented and took his time to get things perfected. Still not promising hearing return. i do appriciate the fact that he is honest and realistic and didnt make any false promises. I do feel as though he has made every effort to restore my hearing and to make things right in my middle ear. Excellent Excellent doctor all around. Staff was great HUP was great I can't say enough wonderful things about him and the total experience. He is just at another level well beyond any doctors in my area.

|  Repaired conductive hearing loss  |  show details
by Leto on Jun 13th, 2013

I read thorough all the reviews and can say I’ve experience just about everything anyone has written about the office visit experience from the good to the bad. However, Doctor Bigelow is one of the best surgeons ever. I had conductive hearing loss in my right ear and a history of ear surgery’s to boot. He did the best job restoring my hearing when no one else would even attempt to repair it. The whole surgical procedure was a positive experience, the staff was professional and competent at the same time made you feel comfortable relaxed. My advice is put up with the inconveniences to have this guy be your doctor.

|  Best Otolaryngologist I've Seen  |  show details
by Claire C. on Jan 26th, 2013

Dr. Bigelow is an excellent Otolaryngologist and I've already recommended him to friends and family. I'd had 2 prior surgeries to correct my hearing. The last surgery was not successful and left me with a significant hearing loss five years later. Another doctor I consulted recommended that I get a hearing aid and forego any other surgeries. Luckily he gave me a list of surgens when I requested a second opinion. I chose Dr. Bigelow because of his impressive credentials and I was further impressed at my first visit. Dr. Bigelow operated on my ear and my hearing is now better than it has been in years. I don't need a hearing aid. His staff is friendly and very helpful. I never waited more than 10 minutes in the waiting room, though it may be another 5 - 10 minutes in the examing room before seeing the doctor. It's worth the wait. Arranging the surgery was very easy and everyone in the hospital was courteous, helpful and professional. If you're looking for the best, I recommend Dr. Bigelow and his staff.

Oct 8th, 2012

My entire experience was AMAZING! The staff was amazing Dr. Bigelow was very patient explaining my condition he also sat with me after being admitted to the hospital the morning of surgery just sorta hanging out.......asking if I understood everything and explained in detail to my husband before I woke from surgery what my restrictions were his phone number in case we needed anything......you don't find many doctors like that anymore. I traveled two hours one way to see him........it was worth every minute in the car and every dime on gas. Truly a REMARKABLE experience!

|  Great Surgeon - Lacking Bedside Manner at Times  |  show details
Jul 17th, 2012

I had my hearing repaired. The wait in the office is terrible and Dr. Bigelow does not have the greatest bedside manner but I would be willing to wait again as he restored the hearing in my one ear. I do feel if I was educated a bit more of what to expect after the surgery it would have prevented some calls during non-business hours. The residents did not know how to help me. But Dr. Bigelow is a top-doc and did a great job and the day of my surgery he was wonderful to me - that should carry over to the office. I almost didn't go back to him after my initial consult but my family doc insisted he was the best.

|  Lucky  |  show details
Aug 19th, 2011

Dr Bigelow, Is A very good Doctor I felt very safe with the surgery I had to get done.. I was very lucky I picked his name out only because I liked his name...

|  Way too long a wait!  |  show details
Mar 23rd, 2011

Waiting 2 hours to see a doctor is reprehensible! The department staff did little to keep me posted as to where I was in the "queue". Fortunately, my problem didn't require a long consultation. however, I would like to think that if it did, Dr. Bigelow would have spent more than 15 minutes with me. He was obviously knowledgeable about his area of expertise. He and his department need to reassess how much time to allot for appointments.

|  Waste of Time!  |  show details
Feb 23rd, 2011

Dr. Bigelow does not seem to care about his patients conditions. Difficult time getting in to see him even with being refferred for a condition needing immediate attention. Failed to explain and did not care to answer questions. Do not waste your time with this Doctor!

|  good  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2010

best ear doctor ever

|  I couldn't be happier  |  show details
Oct 2nd, 2010

After just one office visit I was operated on 9-27-10. I have a history of conductive hearing loss. Dr. Bigelow is an excellent surgeon and an expert in his field. Although I am still in the healing stage my hearing has improved remarkably. I can't wait to share the news with Dr. Bigelow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will agree to operate on the other ear. Thank you Dr. Bigelow!

|  Worth the wait  |  show details
Sep 27th, 2010

Long time to get an appt. but well worth the wait. Dr. Bigelow is knowledgable and professional. His manner is a bit off-ish but I'm not looking for someone to have a relationship with other then Dr./Patient. He knows what he is doing.

|  Poor bedside manner  |  show details
Aug 28th, 2010

Poor secretarial staff. Poor introduction to Penn medicine. Will not go back.

by B on Oct 3rd, 2009

Dr. Bigelow restored my hearing with an implant 8 years ago. In my opinion, he excels as a surgeon. If I were to do this over again I would choose him again.

Jun 20th, 2009

I had a TERRIBLE experience with Dr. Bigelow and his uncaring staff. They treated me like I was a new patient each and every time I went for a visit. He had absolutely no idea or strategy on how to fix or diagnose the problem that I was having. He couldn't care less and put me though harsh, invasive and unnecessary tests. The staff was unfriendly, unhelpful and RUDE. Dr. Bigelow did not even have the courtesy to review my charts before the appointment. If he had just taken the time to really listen to my symptoms things might have gotten resolved. I was not a patient, but merely a number. I was extremely disappointed with my experience and hope that no one has to go through the hassle and trauma that I did. If you need an Neurotologist, Otolaryngologist, please see Dr. Willcox at Jefferson University Hospital. He is AMAZING and don't waste your time with Dr. Bigelow. He doesn't care!

by Allyson on Dec 22nd, 2008

Dr. Bigelow is a skilled physician and although the office staff and HUP is lacking in courtesy and efficiency it is well worth the inconvenience to have Dr. Bigelow's expertise and skill.