Dr. Douglas Hoisington DO Patient Reviews

• Otolaryngology West Des Moines, IA

• Good
  • Bad

January 25th, 2017
Initially seemed good but staff always rude
I had a good opinion of Hoisington initially. He seemed considerate and knowledgeable compared to others. However, he eventually recommended a surgery foe which neither he nor the surgeon adequately advised me of possible side effects or complications. I have been suffering for several years now and can't get another surgeon to fix the problem which could lead to throat or esophageal cancer and also makes swallowing difficult. He would not take me back as a patient and had his staff do the 'brush off' for him. Staff was rude every time I was there, they leave you waiting, make mistakes with insurance, scheduling etc. I once had to fill out several forms and no one checked with me or offered to let me finish in a room, someone just came out and told me that they had to cancel because it took too long - after I had driven several miles to the appointment. They also said they would work with me on payments then refused to do so.

July 28th, 2016
I have a special needs 2 yro that hates dr offices no matter who or why we are there. The wait was short, the entire staff was patient and very accommodating. They came in and had read his chart before they walked in the also knew of his somewhat rare condition(which never happens). He has also done 2 other precedures on my other kids he is very good, quick and amazing with kids! I would recommend him and the clinic to anyone!

November 6th, 2015
4-year old child's tonsils and adenoids surgery
When I saw this doctor right before my 4-year old daughter's tonsils and adenoids surgery and asked him why I have 2 painkilling medications and which one I should follow he simply yelled at me out lowed saying if I have not decided which medication I should follow the surgery should be cancelled right now. This is exactly what I should have done. Right now I feel like something horrible happened and I had not prevented this from happening. Right now we are using over-the-counter painkiller and it works just fine. Prescription painkiller is absolutely unnecessary and useless.

November 5th, 2015
I would not recommend this doctor. I felt like he is out for the money. I received two additional opinions. He wanted to do three separate procedures - both doctors said great way to rip off the insurance company. He is why insurance rates are sky high. I called my insurance company and reported him.

May 12th, 2015
He didn't even remember he took out half of my thyroid - he asked me who did it because of the awful scar. His male nurse is rude and does not even act like he cares.

May 25th, 2017