Dr. Douglas Slaughter MD Patient Reviews

• Bad

July 13th, 2017
Great Doctor

December 24th, 2013
Dr. Slaughter gave me my life back!
There will always be both ends of the spectrum and it appears that the negative is over represented here. No one is perfect and that includes doctors. My experience was very different from most of the other reviewers here. I have issues throughout my spine secondary to an auto accident in 1997. My initial surgeon left Albuquerque but she had been very clear on why it was important to be conservative in approaching things surgically when the time came. When my C3/4 disc popped and I was in intractable pain the first surgeon I talked to wanted to fuse my entire neck. Dr. Slaughter was very conservative and saw only the need to to do the one level. Other than the pain from the surgery I woke up with all the prior pain gone and full use of my arms returned. I just saw him for a one-year check up and things are great.I would not consider another surgeon unless Dr. Slaughter was no longer available. And as far as the drug tests are concerned, any doctor can refuse you as a patient for any reason they choose. Failing a drug test is a valid reason because if he did operate he would be prescribing narcotics afterwards and use of non-prescribed drugs at the same time creates an issue for him and his license with the state board. And lastly, regardless of what your insurance is charged, they only pay any provider the contracted amount for a specific service. My pain management doc routinely billed $1200 for drug tests and got paid $35.

December 17th, 2013
terrible
As a new patient looking for a consult for my scoliosis and chronic pain.The first thing they asked me for after arriving in their office was a urine sample,telling me they did random drug testing.I asked them why i would be drug tested for a consultation? I wasn't having surgery, I was just there for a consultation.The very rude office manager was called out to answer my question and informed me they do drug tests on all new patients.I asked her why she had lied to me and said it was "random". I had gotten up at 4;30am,living 3 hours away, for this appointment and had nothing to hide so I did the urine test.Later in the day I called back thinking something was wrong with that picture and found out they would charge my insurance 3-600 for the test,I told the lady that this was insurance fraud.Dr,slaughter does not even prescribe pain meds. She told me I was "kicking her butt" During the consult with Dr.Slaughter he did not even know the proper tools to use to evaluate my MRI and could not diagnose my cuvature.He sent me for more x-rays and never followed up with me .Not even a phone call to say he received my x-rays.I would never even consider him for surgery.

August 6th, 2010
Miracle Surgery
I under went a 14 hr surgery performed by Dr Slaughter to correct s/p sacrum fusion@laminectomy, degenerative scoliosis,HTN,GERD,@lipids. Even though I began to bleed out near the end of the surgery, Dr Slaughter was prepared and I didn't need a transfusion. He told me I would see him everyday I was in the hospital and he kept his word. I was up to 80 grams of morphine before the surgery. Dr. Slaughter give me my life back. I would and have recommeded him to other people with back complaints. P.S. He office is now in ABQ, NM.

April 24th, 2010
Caution
Ignored lab tests and symptoms resulting in healthcare acquired superbug infection septic shock.

July 27th, 2017