Neurological Surgeon, Surgeon, Neurologist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Best experince I have had with spinal surgery  |  show details
by Mary on May 12th, 2014

I had lumbar hardware removal in April from Dr McBridel. I am now one month post op and I can lay on my back for the first time in 4 years. Another bonus is no removable stiches, or staples. Dr McBride is known as one of the best surgeons in the state, and why I picked him. I found him to be a kind, honest doctor. I have been to numerous spine surgeons previously. I want others to know my good experience with this doctor as it is coming from a person he actually operated on. Those of you who are doing research on who you are picking for surgeons, I would consider reviews from actual patients who had surgery with this doctor. I would highly recommend him.

|  Dr. McBride helped me have a new life.  |  show details
by Kathy on May 5th, 2014

I was not in the greatest of health, but I had so much back pain and leg pain that it crippled me. I couldn't sit very long without pain or stand or walk. Now, nine months later, I feel wonderful. Dr. McBride opened a door of new life for me. I would highly recommend him as a skilled physician.

|  Satisfied and pain free for the first time in 12 years  |  show details
by Ryan M on Mar 9th, 2014

I had a minor procedure about 30 days ago to remove a disc herniation that was causing some pretty severe nerve pain and mobility limitation. I'd had this pain on and off for about 12 years, but a recent aggravation of this injury basically immobilized my left side below the waist, so I figured (read: my wife insisted) I should probably get it taken care of. Aside from a delay in the start of the procedure due to a no-show from one of the other doctors for an earlier procedure, everything was great. Dr. McBride answered all of my questions succinctly and sincerely with a sureness that bred confidence in my wife and I. During the pre and post surgery timeframes, Dr. McBride's staff made themselves available to answer any questions and provide any necessary documentation. Overall, if there were 5 stars, he'd get them. Not only is he a great Neurosurgeon, but he's also a solid guy; personable, easy to get along with and supremely knowledgeable. I'd recommend Dr. McBride to anyone who is considering surgery to relieve back pain and mobility limitation due to a disc issue.

Mar 8th, 2014

Sharp, compassionate, astute -

|  Not happy  |  show details
by CF on Feb 4th, 2014

Surgery was not a complete success. Disappointed in post operative appointment. Dr. McBride dismissed my questions regarding surgical complications and other post op symptoms I was experiencing. He then left to attend a lecture. I have no doubt Dr. McBride is an good surgeon, but his poor bedside manners, abrupt nature and lack of concern for his patients makes it impossible for me to recommend him.

|  One great surgeon; one very satisfied patient  |  show details
by Lynn P on Jan 23rd, 2014

What you want in a surgeon is great hands, experience, focus and flexibility. And what happens in the waiting room, etc., is all unimportant compared with what happens in the operating room. Dr. McBride had planned to do a certain procedure on my neck but found, when he got in there, that he had to sort of improvise. A "cookbook" surgeon wouldn't have recognized the need to improvise to get the best outcome, much less be able to figure out what should be done. It took Dr. McBride two extra hours to complete the operation , which must have messed up his schedule. The clinic he works out of, UCLA Spine Center, doesn't run as smoothly as it might. Oh well. It was worth any waiting I did to feel as I do. And to top it all off, he has a wonderful sense of humor.

|  Great experience with this surgeon  |  show details
by M on Jan 17th, 2014

I recently had a consult with Dr McBride for lumbar hardware removal. He was very thorough with explaining the pro's and cons of the surgery. I found him to be very down to earth and articulate, Although I have not had surgery yet, it is being scheduled. I feel very fortunate to have met Dr Mcbride as he has a great reputation and is considered to be one of the best spinal surgeons in California. He recently operated on a friend's son who had good results. The only thing misleading about this site is his picture. He is a lot more handsome in person, not that it is relevant, just FYI.

|  fearful patients need to have faith & trust in their dr...not a prima donna  |  show details
Jan 10th, 2014

i had tri-level cervical surgery about three years ago. i'd been warned at the time the fusion, with fixation (anterior plate & screws) may need to be redone at some point. the one level the dr. had decided not to fuse is now having problems. if i was scared about the first surgery, it was terrifying this time around. in my reading, i found this is a common problem. however, i had no idea it would be less than three years. i made an appt to see dr. mcbride. i waited 45 minutes in the waiting room and another hour plus in the exam room. dr. mcbride sat in a "power position", as to be taller than I...not hard to do. i'm only five feet tall. i had gathered all the paperwork, results and everything the other doctors had asked me to bring (he was the 3rd consult). it was on the ucla website of what to take to your appointment. it's a good thing i'd called the morning of my appt. i was told to just bring in the cd of my mri & mcbride would "form his own opinion". he seemed to have barged into the exam room, but i can't be certain, i'd fallen asleep waiting for him. with him were two training doctors. i was shocked to say the least. he started bombarding me with all kinds of things, some that he had no business discussing. he wasn't at all interested or concerned with any of my other spine problems, the extent of nerve damage & my lack of fine motor skills, just my neck. while talking, i had mentioned i'd looked up some things on the internet, so i'd be a little prepared. he asked if i'd done any reading about him. (looking back, i wonder if he was fishing for a compliment?) he acknowledged the long wait time. he told me it was because he "spent so much time with his patients; how much he cared". it sounded insincere. he spent as much time, or less, with me than any other doctor i've seen. he didn't even stick around while the other dr. did a few neurological tests. not having gone to a "teaching facility" before didn't help. i didn't mention the negative reviews i had read. i felt as though i had no say or choice about what was to be done. i had only gone for a consultation. before i left, his scheduler was trying to set me up with a surgery date. i found it odd that it took weeks to get in to see him, and now i was being to rushed into surgery. this was the same woman who had treated me so badly on the phone and "in person" she was totally different. maybe when she saw me, there were dollar signs in her eyes. i have no idea what made the difference in her attitude. i don't know why they all instantly thought i'd go along without question. i hate being intimidated and that's exactly how i was made to feel. i also noticed, he seems to be one of those who doesn't see the person in distress, just the part that's broken. i had no confidence in him at all. i may try to make an appt with one of his associates. the reviews of the other doctor sound a lot better than what i had experienced. perhaps it's just me, but i noticed some terrible reviews. the really glowing ones were from years ago. i would only go to dr. mcbride if i had no other choice

|  Great doctor  |  show details
Nov 13th, 2013

Warm, kind, intelligent, practical, (ucla over-books appts - mgmt of medical apts is their fault) this dr is top notch. The change in scheduling patients and management departments has declined severly over the last several years. It's not the drs. This gentlemen did my cervical surgery which was successful. UCLAs physicians are top notch, their support staff is lacking in multiple areas. This trend in medical mgmt is the problem. It's not insurance companies this time, it's poorly selected office managers. See this highly qualified physician - if he is rushed it's not him. Have your questions ready and get his PA or nurses contact.

|  Duncan McBride  |  show details
May 1st, 2013

The doctor's two hour wait and demeaning staff did not help. But it does not influence my opinion of this doctor. He came in appearing as if severely tired, was certainly not present when I spoke. I saw him for a total of 12 minutes, half of which he fidgeted with his broken badge, never really connecting with me. (Maybe he was listening?? Not sure.) But it really negated my confidence in him. His $1500 bill did not help. Granted, UCLA charges that price. Even though the visit cost me nothing, I wonder if this sort of activity is part and parcel to the state of health care in the US -- overworked, dis-connected doctors whose employers charge unrealistic prices for the services rendered. I doubt if I would not let him operate on me - just my opinion.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Joanne G on Feb 4th, 2013

Dr McBride was caring concerned,listened to my concerns. Great warm and caring follow up. I had a complex spinal surgery and chose dr McBride over other neurosurgeons because of his high recommendation from numerous doctors and peers in his field. I would highly recommend him. Thank You dr MBride. Joanne G.

|  Patient oriented  |  show details
Nov 6th, 2012

The staff was on top of everything as needed. Dr McBridemade me feel reassured and comfortable from the start.I was kept updated continuously. Wonderful surgeon.Post surgery he called me personally when I had concerns. He genuinely cares for his patients. I can see thathe loves his job. I am recovering and feeling betterthan I ever have. This was the best experienceI could have considering the situation. He is at the top of the list for a neuro surgeon. I have also experiencedthe worst. That's why I am so appreciative for allhe has done.

|  Doctor McBride Fixed Me!  |  show details
Oct 30th, 2012

I was a highly active mom of 4 who coached marathon teams and who competed in marathons and triathlons. Following rupturing my L5 disc in the trampoline with my kids I had a microdiscectomy with a different surgeon. This operation led to 2 additional back surgeries which left me with a drop foot and continued daily pain. I was told the drop foot and nerve pain I suffered from where mine for life. Nine months after the 3rd microdiscectomy I was in need of a fusion of my L5, S1. Dr. McBride performed the surgery. He not only cured my back pain, he returned mobility to my foot by removing scar tissue and finally freeing my sciatic nerve. Dr. McBride was patient, informative and compassionate. He has a great bedside manner and obviously knows his trade. I recommend him 100%. He fixed the mess my first surgeon made and gave me back my active life!

|  10 year review  |  show details
Oct 13th, 2012

In 2002 I was 65 years old, 3 years retired, and had stenosisso bad I could hardly walk. My future looked like; reading,watching TV, and gaining weight. I went to Dr McBride and he operated on me in March of that year. Now I am 76 years oldhave not had one back or leg pain and do the following weekly:play 2 rounds of golf (18 holes on 6200 yard course).hit 2 to 4 buckets of balls.workout 2 times on a treadmill (3.2) for a total of 1 hour.ride a stationary bike for a total of 1 hour.I have a great retirement, thanks to Dr McBride.I gave him 4 stars on all his ratings because I really don'tremember if I waited a long time or not but you tend toremember if you have a bad time. What I remember is a goodexperience with a great staff, a painless surgery, a shortrecovery time, and 10 great years. Dr McBride has made my"Golden years" GOLDEN.

|  A miracle worker!  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2012

I had severe leg pain for almost two years to the point where I could not walk more than 100 feet or stand for more than five minutes. I saw two orthopedic surgeons who were going to do a laminectomy and a spinal fusion for stenosis. They were also going to do a discectomy to remove a perfectly healthy disk. I went to see Dr. McBride who immediately said he would not do a fusion. Unlike with the ortho doctors, I had complete confidence in Dr. McBride and his approach. He took the time to completely review my MRI with me and explain what he planned to do. I had surgery the following week. During the surgery Dr. McBride found a large misshapen cyst that was embedded in my spinal cord. When I woke up from the anesthesia I was pain free. I walked out of the UCLA Spine Center the next morning and have walked more in the past three weeks than I had in previous six months. I have had absolutely NO pain. I highly recommend Dr. mcBride (and have been recommending him to my friends ever since the surgery). Dr. McBride gave me my life back.

|  He Healed Me  |  show details
Aug 23rd, 2012

I came to Dr. McBride with chronic sciatic pain, six screws and 2 plates in my lower back from a 2 year old operation. All of those 2 years i had lots of pain going down both legs and my right foot would not lift as I walked. I had as many epidurals as deemed safe just to get two or three days pain free. I also had a heavy burden of hopelessness and depression. Many of you reading this know how it is to live in pain. My first impression of him was that he wanted to help me and that he thought that he could. We spent the visit looking at my MRI's and x rays and he discussed what plan he had in mind for me. My second impression was even better, he sent me a letter outlining our conversation ( wonder of wonders a doctor that listens and remembers what you said!) and his plan for my back. The rest was made easy by his able secretary Camille Lennan Who made sure that the pre-op process went smoothly. Doctor McBride operated on me on August 8, 2012 at the wonderful Santa Monica UCLA hospital. When I came to I knew that he had healed me! No sciatic pain at all and none since then and I am now 2 weeks post op. He removed the old hardware, made sure that my fused vertebrae were stable and relieved various tight spots that could have been irritating my spinal nerves. These things that he did changed my life completely, I have been happy for the last 2 weeks,really happy. I see colors again, I look at my boat and know that soon I'll be cruising. I just can't say enough good things about this wonderful Doctor, I mean people have been canonized for doing a lot less than he did. If you are contemplating spinal surgery I know that you must be at your wit's end so do ask your doctor if he would submit to the same surgery if he were you. Dr. McBrides answer to me on the morning of the operation was "absolutely, no doubt at all" . So after all this you could ask me if I would trust Dr McBride with my health and I would tell you absolutely, no doubt at all

|  Doctor is not caring or understanding. Poor bedside manner  |  show details
Jul 8th, 2012

I brought all my needed information about past history, radiologists' interpretations & films Cd's, recent Dr. evaluations & past operative report to Dr. Mcbride. It took over 2 weeks to gather all the information.I had a failed major spinal surgery and was sent to Dr. McBride to evaluate me for redo surgery to correct the mistakes in the hardware and failed fusions. He lists on his web site of doing complicated hardware spinal surgery.This was a difficult appointment to make mentally to know that you may undergo major spinal surgery.His PA did not care to see any of the information I brought with me except for the Cat Scans and films. When he did the leg raises for diagnostics and I said "ouch" he did not ask where it hurt... It hurt in my lower spine; he may assumed it was sciatica. When I had no right leg reflex, he did not say anything. It was apparent that the Doctor had no intention of operating on me. The PA was just going through some basic tests to bill out to Insurance as an exam even though it was incomplete. He did not touch the areas that hurt. I asked if the Doctor needed to see the neatly organized short dictations from other Doctors including the last surgery procedure that failed (most of organized requested information); He said it was not needed. Dr. McBride came in and said I was "messed up" with no explanation except a post or screw was in my butt and the other side was loose. This is what the Cat Scan report said. I asked his PA if I could see on the CD what was wrong with my body such as the screws but they ignored me. This was coming from a Doctor who did the difficult procedures. I was using my supplemental oxygen which I use sometimes as needed. Dr. McBride said he would not operate on me because I use oxygen. How fake? This may be a lie because they monitor your finger with the pulse oximetry and have oxygen available in the Operating Room.His poor behavior and lack of explaining what was wrong with me was a new low for me with a physician in my 7 surgeries and 12 years of regular exams. As a retired disabled Dentist, I told him that I would tell the patient was wrong or what the other Dentist did wrong and what plan of action we would take to correct their problem or get them out of pain. He just told me to keep getting spinal shots and abruptly left. I told his PA that this is just treating the symptoms and is no cure; that it gets weaker with each shot, and causes other side effects, His PA nodded in approval and said he was sorry. This is probably the case of a Dr. protecting another Surgeon who may have committed malpractice "protect their own and not get involved in possible litigation." I had never seen an attorney but after this poor experience, I may. This trip to him was hard on me physically with pain since I was driving from out of state. I left with no answers about my condition after the visit with Dr.McBride. To me, Dr. McBride has no conscience and I put him at the bottom of the pile for reviews. I now fear Surgeons with caution because of him. I recently found a surgeon just down my street who has over 25 glowing reviews from patients. I am excited about going to the new Doctor/Surgeon for his honest answers to my questions. Hopefully, he can save the reputation of surgeons after my poor experience/not caring actions from Dr. McBride. I hope this agency will lower his high score from this truthful rating of my experience.

|  Top of the line  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2012

Dr.Mcbride is the best. On my first office visit he took the time to explain to me in detail what was the major problems with my spine. He recommended a minimally invasive procedure which would relieve the pressure on the nerve causing my severe sciatica.Two weeks later he performed the surgery. He check with me several times to address all my concerns.The surgery went well and 4 hrs. after the surgery Dr. Mcbride came into the room at 10 pm at night to check on me after working a long day at the hospital.He also called me the next morning to prior to my release to check again on my progress. I am 100% satisified with his surgical skills and the outcome.Dr.Mcbride also followed up on my progess at home about 2 weeks after the surgery. Dr. Mcbride is fantastic.

|  Scheduling an appt a little difficult.  |  show details
Jun 19th, 2012

Other than trying to schedule an appointment directly with his Harbor UCLA office which is not easy I find him very good.

|  Glass Blower  |  show details
Jan 7th, 2012

A true miracle worker!! About 3 hrs of surgery is all to fuse 5&6 and nobody can see the scar. If I had this surgery in Visalia at Kaweah Delta Hospital dr Madson said it would be 12-14 hours and 5 day stay at well over 100,000 dollars.

|  So grateful for Doctor Mcbride  |  show details
May 23rd, 2011

I was Having back pain for awhile and finally went to the doctor for an MRI. I am 38 in great health and am active with 3 small children so I assumed my back trouble was from being a busy youn mom. I was diagnosed on may 4,2011 with a growth on my spinal cord. I saw a surgeon Ruhr away to discuss my options, which turned out to be option.... Removal asap! The neurosurgeon we consulted with did not put me at ease, infact he freaked me out. 4 days later we had consultation with dr. Mcbride and knew right away he was our guy. He actually said he was excited to do my surgery because this is what he does. Hey if your excited I'm thrilled. Eight days later I was "under the knife" I went to ucla santa Monica. Dr. Mcbride spoke with me every chance he could before surgery, after surgery. I stayed in the hospital for 4 nights. One night he couldn't see me although he did send the assisting surgeon in his absence and called me on the phone that evening. He made me feel completely comfortable and confident and would highly recommend him to anyone. Thank yo dr. Mcbride.All my best, Teresa Volman

|  Fantastic Physician  |  show details
May 12th, 2011

Dr. Duncan McBride performed a most difficult brain surgery on my handicapped brother back in 1994. He is a fantastic and caring physician, whose bedside manner is excellent, and his compassion is outstanding for his patients. My brother died unexpectedly while at the hospital, from completely other circumstances, and Dr. McBride's heartfelt sympathy will always be remembered. May God continue to bless Dr. Duncan McBride!

|  Excellent Surgeon  |  show details
by Behrooz Ighani on Aug 29th, 2010

I had been having problems walking for about one year and was unsure where the problem was coming from. At first, I was told by different doctors that my problem originated from my lumbar spine. However, after consultation with a nuerosurgeon I became aware of a herniated disc in my cervical spine. Dr. Duncan performed my surgery and it was expertly done. I felt no pain at all after the surgery and even a few hours after the surgery I felt fine. My surgery was in the C6-C7 cervical spine. Dr. Duncan was referred to me by a close friend who also had a positive experience with Dr. Duncan. I must say I did not expect to feel so well so soon. But the surgery left no ill-effects and it did not even feel like I had been through a major surgery. He also spends the proper amount of time with patients in explaining there prognosis and what steps you need to take after the surgery. Overall he is an excellent doctor.

Aug 16th, 2010

Seems to know what he is advising and tries to do just what is necessary. I consulted 3 neurosurgeons and got 4 opinions (LOL) but he seemed to be in between and really reduced the levels of decompression needed on my cerivical spine and felt one X spacer would solve the problem with my lumbar which is non invasive as compared to one that did not want to do anything and the other that wanted to do 5 levels as he felt the extra levels would not help and just destabilize the spine. Nice guy.

May 17th, 2010

He was about an hour late for my 8:00 AM appointment. His resident came and looked at my MRI and Mcbride was running late and takled to me for 3-4 minutes saying that I did not need surgery. He probably did not look at the MRI. He may be a good surgeon, but is not couteous. He figured why wate time if I do not need surgery.

Apr 19th, 2010

Very thorough and understanding. Takes his time with you. Pleasant manner. I would highly recommend this doctor. Seems to know his stuff and isn't so quick to turn to surgery like some other surgeons.

|  I've met them all and Dr Mc Bride is the BEST  |  show details
by Sharon Moore-Walsh on Mar 19th, 2010

I've been to. Cedars, Kerlan Job and many others. Theyall wanted to do the same thing to me that they were doing in the 1950's! I was so tired of hearing JUST FUSE IT! I can always do that. UCLA does more back surgeries than any hospital in the country. Now I have to ask myself why I had to go through two prior surgeries and all the pain that back surgery brings when I knew that UCLA was right here all the time.Good question. I probably could have saved myself a considerable amount of pain. I guess I was new to Los Angeles and new to my sick lumbar spine. I know now that your armor leg is one thing-your spine (my lumbar & cervicle) are much more serious things and should be handled by experts NOT ego maniacs! I didn't get that from Dr. Mc Bride at all. We all have a fair amount (of ego) I suppose, but of the surgeons that I have met, received opinions and have operated on my spine, I must admit that while I want my Surgeon to be sure of himself or herself, I'd like for it to be in check-not bigger than Dallas! With Dr. McBride I felt like I got that. Well-balanced, Brillant, gives back to his community. He has a great bed side manner, spends the necessary time with you to make sure you understand. He just happens to be Very nice looking too.It's bad enough that you have to have back surgery. You may as well go with the best! Dr. Mc Bride is a great doctor who tells you like it is. There are never any guarentees with back surgery and if a doctor is telling you that there is....RUN ! What I can tell you is that Dr. McBride gives back. He is a professor at UCLA so he is always surrounded by young minds. I felt like it kept him on the cutting edge. He

|  Surgery  |  show details
Jun 11th, 2009

My experience with Dr. McBride has been nothng short of awesome. Has made me feel like the most important patieb\nt he has. Great bedside manner. He does not let you get nervous

|  EXCELLENT SURGEON!  |  show details
by Joshua Sanderson on Apr 24th, 2009

Dr. McBride is the forth Neurosurgeon I have visisted. He performed my L5/S1 Instrumented Fusion at UCLAin October 08. His skill, approach and expertise are among the best I have encountered. Excellent surgeon with an excellent bedside demeanor. He listens, honest and straightforward. He changed my life. His office staff can be rude at times. Expect to wait at least an hour to see him but it is worth the wait. First rate surgeon!