Dr. Mary Latimer MD Patient Reviews

• Pediatrics Potomac, MD

no change

April 18th, 2017
Not great
We had such a weird experience. She didn't want my files before hand (I told them I had a huge binder of important blood work and tests, but they told me not to send it ahead of time) then when we met her, an hour and a half after my appointment was supposed to start. I tried to tell her the main highlights from my life, but she only wanted to go in chronological order, so I had to tell her this story and it was super messy and incomplete, but EVERY answer to every question she asked was in the binder. She could have just looked there, but she didn't. She made me uncomfortable. She doesn't have the best bedside manner either. Kind of abrasive. The office staff is nice but disorganized and the nurse is good at nursing but extremely chatty. I almost wish she had just asked for pandas symptoms and have me say yes or no. Now we're stuck in no-man's land because they won't get back to us. Follow up is seriously lacking.

April 18th, 2017
I am extremely upset right now because Dr. latimer told me that she would prescribe IVIG, but not send it to a doctor in town to do it because she would "take responsibility for my case", but once I was given the IVIG, I had allergic reactions, migraines, trouble breathing, rashes, nausea, stomach upset, and a sore throat-some of which could have been prevented with fluids or Benadryl but they don't do that at their office. So I've called every day since my treatment asking what's going on, what should I do, is this normal? But no one got back to us for four days. Then today we called several times and finally the secretary said that if my allergic reactions to the ivig persist to go to the dermatologist which makes no sense. I've been trying to get someone to authorize fluids because I feel so bad but my doctor at home says over and over "whoever gave you the ivig needs to take responsibility for your case. I can't help you." So we keep calling. But never get to talk to a nurse, or nurse practitioner, or doctor. We're starting to give up hope and doubt we will ever be able to return to this practice. The second night of treatment I went into anaphylactic shock, thinking there would be a way to contact the doctor we called the office, but there is no one on call. So you are left to fend for yourself. And that just doesn't sit right with me.

April 3rd, 2017
Dr. Latimer saved my song's life
Dr. Latimer is miracle worker. We had visited over 10 different specialists and none could figure out what was wrong with my child. Someone recommended her so we flew to DC from Arizona and sure enough she was able to diagnose and provide treatment for the various mental issues that my kid was having and after a few months the difference is like night and day. He's now able to go back to school and get back to the normal life he deserves. Can't thank you enough Dr. Latimer.

February 24th, 2017
PANDAS
Thankful that we found help and hope here!

July 1st, 2016
Dr. Latimer: Outstanding doctor
Dr. Latimer is a one-in-a-million type of professional. She is in touch with the latest research, she actively sees patients, and she is publishing and presenting internationally to further effective treatments for a rare medical illness. Her brilliance is the type of help that you want on your side if you have a child with a rare and often times misunderstood crippling illness. We have two children who she has helped when no one else could do so. Our family will forever be indebted to her insightful efficacious treatments and medical care. We only wish she could expand her practice and train a team so more children could benefit from her experience and expertise.

October 28th, 2015
Wait time is long, but it's because she spends the time necessary with patients instead of rushing important diagnoses and explanations just to stay on a schedule. The staff is very helpful about informing patients of long wait times and suggesting places in the area to spend time before an appt.

October 19th, 2015
Best pediatric neurologist in the country!
Hands down the best pediatric neurologist we've ever seen in our long battle with adhd and add with our 5 year old kid.

October 6th, 2015
Extraordinary doctor. Worth every penny and more.

May 8th, 2015
Improvement when no one else could even figure out what was wrong!
She is a wealth of knowledge about an illness no one else seemed to be able to figure out, with regards to my son. She has been right on with every recommendation and we are seeing improvement we thought was out of reach. Things are not perfect, but compared to where we were 2-3 years ago...so grateful for her guidance and knowledge. You do need to stay on top of paperwork, prescriptions, forms etc. As it is difficult to get those completed if you are not there in the office. If you know that ahead of time, you can avoid that issue and have them completed at the time of the appointment. Super grateful for her knowledge to help us get our son back to us.

May 8th, 2015
The door to her office was open during the appointment and the secretary heard everything. Diagnosis was right on, and she was very knowledgable and understanding.. Follow up seems to be a little lacking.

March 4th, 2015
surprised by all these negative reviews
My child had an neurological condition (No, not PANDAS) that was misdiagnosed by many other doctors. Other doctors wouldnt even make the time to see us...but she did the day we called...and made the proper diagnosis in minutes. Subsequent testing has definatively confirmed this diagnosis. I tried in-network doctors over the years, but it never worked out. Dr. Latimer has always been there for us when other in-network neurologists failed to act in emergency situations time and time again. But yes, it does cost $$$, so be prepared.

September 19th, 2014
Disturbing experience
If you take your child to Dr. Latimer, be prepared to be told that he/she may have PANDAS/PANS. This is a rare condition whereby the strep virus gets into the brain of a child. My son was having stomach aches and headaches for about 2 months, and Dr. Latimer told us very few things cause both of us. She had him do an MRI that day, which was normal. She said he has some "facial ticks", which theoretically is possible to a minor extent but no one doctor or family member had ever noticed them. She then says that she's not trying to fit every peg into the same shape hole, BUT ... he may just happen to have the one controversial thing she specializes in: PADAS/PANS. She then proceeds to write him a prescription for Augmentin antibiotic, telling us to try for 2 weeks and then maybe more will be needed, all on her completely unfounded suspicion of a highly unlikely diagnosis that, again, happens to be her specialty. If you're looking for something, you're going to find it. I was a nervous wreck looking into this uncertain/new issue, which can involve long-term neurological damage and the diagnosis and treatment of which is highly uncertain and controversial (months of antibiotics some suggest!). Turns out my son was having headaches purely for mechanical reasons (neck tension), which was relieved by physical therapy. And his stomach aches were due to the most common of issues, constipation. Why a child can't have 2 common things going on without being diagnosed with something extremely rare by a well respected doctor is beyond me. I do NOT recommend this doctor unless you are certain your child has neurological issues that need to be addressed by a neurologist!