inactive

no change

Showing 1 - 1 review

June 15th, 2011
Dr Deb
I had severe disseminated endometriosis that amazed even Dr. Lotze. It was only observable laprascopically and was beyond his ability initially to deal with. I was referred to him when all other GYN's wanted to do a complete hysterectomy for the large endometrioma on my left ovary. Dr. Lotze offered to preserve my fertility by removing only the affected tube and ovary and leaving the right. He had to abandon his first effort after seeing the extent of my disease, so treated me with Danazol for 6 months then did an open approach. (he was just speechless after the scope saying there was no way for him to tell by his pelvic exam the degree of disease he saw during surgery. His comment: "it was as if a bomb went off inside of me". In 1985 he removed my right tube, ovary and most of my sigmoid colon that had almost been destroyed by the endo. (fwiw: my only complaint was inabilty to deficate during my period, and periodic pain from the leaing endometrioma. i had NONE OF THE TYPICAL SIGNS of severe cramps, bleeding etc) Bottom line: Dr. Lotze preserved my fertility in the 2nd surgery and I was pain free til 1998 when the right ovary became involved He again offered to keep it, but at my age, I wanted it all gone. He AGAIN had to abandon his laparascopic approach because the disease was again so bad. His collegues commented I was the only patient he'd had to "open" in the 10 years they'd known him. He's so accomplished laparscopically that he just doesn't need to "cut" anymore. I felt great after surgery but unfortunately and one who he recognized as "estrogen dependent" , unable to deal with a total loss of estrogen. I developed nausea, vomiting, gastric stasis, and migraines 7 days after surgery but it all cleared up immediately with estrogen replacement. I'd flown to Texas for the 2nd surgery after seeing no other GYNS were capable of dealing with "ZEBRA's" like me. I recommend this doctor without reservation. He's absolutely the best in the field and we will all miss him when he retires.