Surgical Specialist
Video profile
140 Sugar Loaf Dr
Belvedere Tiburon, CA 94920
Locations and availability (4)

2.5

|  Galbadder sx  |  show details
by Gallbladder sx on Sep 16th, 2013

One of the problems I have with dr alfry is ignoring a patients medical condition prior to operating and instituting pre-operative proticals when necessary. An example of the necessity of such protocols is with Addison's disease. I would advise anyone to look on the net about this if you have an autoimmune problem with severe fatigue and no energy. In my case I beleive it is very probable I have this and I feel dr alfry dropped the ball because this is a medical problem and he is a sx. I feel, if a sx is presented with medical evidence indicating addisons ( like calcium deposits showing up on an ultrasound in a patients kidneys) the sx has an obligation to advise and treat the pt accordingly, even if dr alfry is not a primary care md for Addison's. Like I mentioned, there are pre-op protical measures for an addisons pt going into sx. Do your homework, your primary md may not be doing their job and apparently a sx is reluctant to intervene and clue the patient in on a very serious condition.

|  Gallbladder sx  |  show details
by Gallbladder sx on Jul 13th, 2013

I had gallbladder sx by the above md. Pass on this md. He refused to give any information on the sx I needed or maybe didn't need. He also told me it wasn't possible to just remove gallstones ( the Internet says it is). He also told me I didn't have the option for an oen approach ( that I had no choice but to have laparoscopic sx). Post sx I'm having infection problems which he refuses to explain why. I was told by kaiser I was allergic to methadone. Kaiser refuses to correct problem and this dr hasn't either. I left kaiser after a med mistake a year ago and haven't been abe to get the mistake fixed since leaving. Dr Alfred also didnot speak to me in the hospital after the sx. I filed a complaint with the med board against dr Alfred. I would read my complaint prior to have sx with dr Alfred. Dr Alfrey does not conduct himself like a dr. I feel he is dangerous. I have a medical background. I was injured in nursing school. My current medical problems started witha kaiser mds mistake that I can't get corrected. Since the mistake happened a year ago I haven't been Able to get medical care and have been blacklisted. I'm getting the kind of tx described above by dr Alfrey. Since the mistake at kaiser I've filed a med board complaint against dr Brian hertz sanrafael kaiser, dr Peter stein greenbrae, dr Edward Alfred greenbrae, dr kevin pourmehr sanrafael kaiser. I'm going to file on every md I see who acts innapropriately. No one who has sx should be treated like this. I feel like I've been experimented on by dr mengele. That's how I would characterize my experience since the med mistake I had by dr brian hertz kaiser sanrafael that was not corrected and my sx experience by dr Alfrey. Stay away

|  Gallbladder sx  |  show details
by Gallbladder sx on Jun 14th, 2013

I can't fully review this sx as I had gallbladder sx with him 6-12-13. Ive had some problems however with my tx. His diagnosis of what I had, how I got gallstones, and why I needed removal ( including an explanation of radiology pictures )was lacking (I was diagnosed in an ER two months prior via radiology ( I was told I was " full of stones"). After sx he did not see me when I woke up to tell me how the sx went ( unusual). And prior to hospital discharge I was refused post sx pain control medications. I was told I couldn't drive for a week and only lift 5 pounds for 3 months. His responses to my request for pain control meds by saying I would need to get them from a primary md. This is not appropriate or ok. Post surgical pain control is his responsibility. The md I'm currently seeing has consistently refused to control my back pain and sciatica ( I've had previous back sx). Dr. Alfred also did not schedule a post sx visit with me prior to the sx. He should disclosed to me prior to gallbladder sx that he would not give me post sx pain control. In the past year I've filed 2 complaints with the state medical board against 2 mds who refused to give me appropriate pain control ( dr. Brian hertz md sanrafael and dr. Peter stein md in greenbrae). Buyer beware. You might end up like me if you see dr. Alfrey. No post gallbladder surgery pain control meds, muscle relaxer, and sleep aid. The only way to combat something like this maybe to make it public and/ or get a written agreement for post- surgical pain control medication. I definitely would discuss this issue prior to gallbladder sx with dr. Alfrey. It should be illegal to do something like this. If it could happen to me, it could happen to you. I also would consider the ramifications of filing a complaint with the state medical board. There is a problem in the bay area of mds not correcting or countermanding other mds mistakes. You may end up in a torture chamber. The anti pain medication climate in this country, I beleive doesn't help the above circumstances I've experienced. I urge the public to expose mds who behave like this on websites like this to economically vet this kind of behavior ( the state med board won't). Caveat emptor

|  Great where it counts  |  show details
Nov 2nd, 2012

I had surgery performed by Dr. Alfrey just over a year ago, and he did an excellent job. My recovery was perfect, and there were no surprises. While he does not go out of his way to speak in detail with his patients, I've found that he will take the time to answer any question you have (this seems to be a common trait in most surgeons). While his bedside manner may not be the best (but certainly not the worst either), he did an excellent job where it really counted. While I hope to never require similar surgery again, I would absolutely return to him.

|  show details
Dec 3rd, 2008

This guy spent zero time with me. He explained nothing. He was very short with me. He didn't appreciate my questions. If I had not asked questions I would have known nothing. There is no way I'm going to let this guy cut in to me. I'm looking for another doctor.